1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up with Appel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by awc713, Jun 1, 2014.

1. astros123

astros123 Member

LOLLL hes one start good start away from Corpus? and thats based on what? what hes done so far?

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Luhnow said ~ 3 starts ago that he wanted to see 1 or 2 more solid appearances from him before sending him up. He said this during a live broadcast where he was in the booth talking about how "great" the draft was, and how excited he was about Aiken (LOL in hindsight)

He's had one "ok" one and one "horrible" one since then.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but ...

On June 22, June 27 and July 4, Appel threw 5 IPs and gave up 3 ERs. Those three starts were near quality starts.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571446

4. astros123

astros123 Member

do you think Luhnow had any idea about the ****ty start he had last start? that start right there sets him back couple starts if you want to talk about "production".

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess we have a new definition of what "good" starts are around here.

If he hasn't had a quality start, I'm going to stand by my previous statement that he hasn't had a "good" start.

But, by this definition of "good"... he needed a couple more of those before being promoted, acc to Luhnow (and less of those awful ones like the last start).

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just saying what Luhnow said. I don't know if he meant "consecutive" solid starts, or just a total number.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I think it's a bad sign. He should be dominating. But I'd give him 2-3 years in the minors before giving up. He's shown potential at the NCAA so we have to give him a shot to develop. The K's are ok. The walks aren't too bad. The Fastball is in the 90's. So the real question is why is he getting hit so hard. One interesting option would be to bring in his old catcher in college and see if things improve, or simply, just change up catchers to see if pitch selection is part of the problem. A promotion to AA might remove that from the equation. I'm still optimistic. The change from college to manhood is a big one, and you really have no idea what could be impacting his pitching. It could be anything from lifestyle to drinking. It's such a big change think we need to see it play out. Ok with watching it play out at AA at this point. But by the end of next year think the welcome wagon will be long gone.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If only he had signed with the Pirates. :eek:

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He needs to be out of Lancaster asap.

10. Granville

Granville Member

Yeah, you wouldn't want a rotten Appel to spoil the Lancaster bunch.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Fixed for you!

13. texans1095

texans1095 Member

At this point the worst thing they can do with Appel is keep him in Lanaster. Keith Law was on 97.5 yesterday and said that he believes they have three options. 1) Move him to Corpus to get him out of Lancaster. 2) Send him down to Quad Cities for some easier competition as well as to get him out of Lancaster. 3) Shut him down for the rest of the season and get him ready for the fall league. In my opinion they should send him to Corpus to see if that helps.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

sooo sending appel to better competition where he will get harder will "help"?

you have a warped view of reality. or you don't know baseball.

i will go with both.

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

sooo sending appel to better competition where he will get hit harder will "help"?

you have a warped view of reality. or you don't know baseball.

i will go with both.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The jump from AA from A+ ball is the most difficult leap in the minors. I'm with you that he should go to Quad and build up some confidence again. If he can even do well in Quad City at this point.

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

The mental aspect of some ballparks shouldn't be discounted. Pitching is more than just the physical mechanics of throwing

#limatime

18. awc713

awc713 Member

Appel 6ip 2er 5h 9k 0bb....thank god all mighty that is not an atrocious line. Hopefully Appel can run a string off and build some confidence. Let's get this pick back on the right track

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

well, i'lllll be. there's a step in the right direction.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Finally. His first "good" start of the year. Hell, maybe the best start of his pro career.

Promote him!