1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the story? Here's a Top 10 for the coming season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drich, Oct 22, 2007.

1. drich

drich Member

found on espn if posted already please lock.

9. Spanish Accents

Scola

Can Rockets forward Luis Scola of Argentina and Grizzlies guard Juan Carlos Navarro of Spain boost their teams to the next level?

For a Houston team that hasn't moved past the first round of the playoffs since 1997 and a star tandem that hasn't moved past the first round of the playoffs since they came into the league, Scola is the single most significant addition of the offseason.

Collectively, new faces Mike James and Aaron Brooks (and new old face Steve Francis) give the Rockets an abundance of choices in the backcourt. But Scola is their only real option at power forward, where the rest of the players are either undersized or underskilled. Will he be able to hold his own against the likes of Carlos Boozer and Tim Duncan in the playoffs?

Navarro could change the course of the Memphis Grizzlies. If his buddy Pau Gasol is happier playing with his friend and Navarro can help Memphis get back to the playoffs, we probably won't hear Gasol's name pop up in trade rumors this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp07/

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know Chuck Hayes is undersized and has little offensive game but I think the guy deserves a lot more respect than he gets in the mainstream (meaning they don't actually watch Rocket games) media and even on this message board.

We didn't lose games last year, regular season or playoffs, because of Chuck. We lost them because our bench consisted of spot up shooters and geezers.

Scola is a nice pick up, no doubt but it isn't like we were getting killed by players Chuck was guarding last season. Hayes is a good player and even more valuable now that we have added scorers so that he isn't obligated to put up offensive numbers.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

*APPLAUDS*

From what I've seen, I think Scola would fit great in that starting unit. In terms of coming up with a balanced rotation, though, it might make more sense to bring him in as Yao's backup C, and rotate him to PF when Chuck sits and Yao reenters the game. At least it will keep him from getting into early foul trouble against the opposing team's starters. And besides, if Manu can come off the bench for the Spurs, I don't see why it should be set in stone that Scola must start.

Whatever decision the coach makes on that, I'll be content with. I have a feeling it will be Scola.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agreed.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Manu is Manu, and Scola is Scola. I cannot see why Scola should come off bench on the basis of that Manu can come off bench. :rolleyes:

Coach A is a great coach and he has his own style. I cannot see why he needs to copy Pop's work. :)

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hispan...

7. durvasa

He doesn't need to, and I never said Scola should come off the bench.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Rockets need not to copy Spurs either!

9. durvasa

You just quoted and repeated yourself. Get some rest.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why did you reply? I never said you said it. :confused:

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I cannot see why I cannot quote myself! :D

12. WildSweet&Cool

I am   SO       S I CK       O F     H E A R I N G       T H I S !!!!!!

Oh my God....I want us to get past the first round just so the media will STFU about this.

(along with "Tracy McGrady's never led a team past the first round" and "With McGrady's bad back blah blah blah...")

13. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Now Yao's turn...
    "Yao is too soft"
    "Yao isn't vocal enough"
    AND my personal favorite...
    ..."Yao will never be as dominant as Shaq" :rolleyes:

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Don't forget about..

"Tmac isn't a leader"
    "Rafer can't lead a team"

actually i just made that last one up

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I know that Chuck is undersized but he isn't underskilled,this proves they actually don't watch more Rockets games which I hope they will in next season.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

there are some media that even calls adelmen a bad coach, since he just went to the finals but never one. :eek:

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Oh wow, I haven't seen this before, but not surprised. Are you sure it wasn't just Kenny Smith? :D

Why is the media always so content on being the "bad guy" all the time??

18. MONON

MONON Member

If Scola comes off the bench, it will be because 1.last years starters have played together for a year & are doing well with the new system 2.Scola needs more time to adjust to the NBA and 3.Adelman thinks it's best for the team. I personally think he will come off the bench to start the season. Come playoff time, the starters will be determined by matchups.

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

What makes Chuck so great is that he said himself that he could care less if he starts or not. He is the type of player who will play 5 minutes, or 40 minutes if needed. And he is going to hustle on every second of those given minutes.

I really dont care which one starts. I care who finishes. I fully expect Hayes to start until Scola adjusts more and gets more accustomed to the NBA rules.

20. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Exactly. Most of them are ignorant and only assume its all one player's fault when they know nothing about him or the team