1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the story behind 'We played with energy' after wins, 'We didn't play with energy' after losse

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Feb 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Its code for strip club last night

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

why are you sending me trolling messages through the rep system? whatever you got to say, just type it out here.

3. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

The question is, are we in reality playing with more energy in our wins, and less energy in our losses?

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

give them some redbull. Championship?

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Mchale's In game Interviews
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In game coaching, when we're down..
    [​IMG]

Postgame
    [​IMG]

Canaan after Dwight touched him. :)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. stab

stab Member

"You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: "We gotta play it one day at a time."

-Crash Davis

7. txtodd

txtodd Member

This would be much more fun:

"The Warriors were badass tonight. They're so much better than us, I don't even like thinking about it".

"God the Knicks suck. We could've beaten them 4 on 5. Could've played Joey at PG no problem."

It's just about feeling you're in control of your own destiny, like you can turn it on or off. Truth is the other side gets paid too and they decide the outcome just as much as you. It is lame and I get tired of it too.

Jackson's "Give them some F-ing credit" was cool years back cuz it went against the grain.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

If I am a coach, I would say:

We played with the smart ball' after wins, 'We didn't play with the smart ball or we are not a good team to beat them' after losses

9. CertifiedTroll

Our team gets a commission from Duracell

10. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

It really has to do more on the defensive end. When you're active on defense (making the right rotations, committing to double teams) it leads to easier buckets. When the team gets lazy and complacent on defense, that is where the "lack of energy" manifests itself.

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

Please note: there is something to this energy language. It's not just coach speak. In the Dallas game, we were dragging around; in the Raptors game we moved a little better.

But just so you can see the facts, check out Player Tracking numbers. They don't lie about how fast players run or don't run.

I don't mean to be brutal, but Josh Smith and Harden just don't have the motors that you see in other NBA players. If your bored, just flip this stat around the league. The Rockets just don't run that hard and if you don't long high speed or high distance, your standing around- on O or D.

Again look at the stats on T. Jones; I think you'll see he played "harder" against the Raptors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, I'm glad that our effort level is better than last year. We are not going to be a championship team until everyone's on board and we get into people on defense and work harder.

Run more. Sub more. Play harder! It's sad to me that other NBA Texas teams play with play with so much more effort.

12. bmd

bmd Member

I know the energy talk after games sounds cliche, but it is true sometimes.

One of the hardest jobs of a coach is to get his team to focus and continue to give effort and not get complacent through a long season.

Basketball is hard work. It's exhausting. Human bodies don't like to be exhausted and your brain will give you a million excuses why it's okay to take it easy. It's easy to be motivated for playoff games, but it's a lot harder to maintain focus and put in the effort against the Nuggets in the middle of the season.

You can often see how hard guys are hustling or not hustling. It was obvious against the Raptors that the Rockets were putting in the effort and we're out-hustling them where they lacked the same effort against Dallas.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good post, and nice premise.

But I disagree with Smith and Harden not having motors. They may not be high motor, but they are definitely getting in the right place and disrupting plays.

Although a guy like Beverley and Brewer may run circles around everyone, they may not be making the same impact on defense based on that alone.

14. JazzLakerHater

I disagree with this. I've felt like Josh Smith has brought great energy every game he's played in a Rockets uniform. And I feel like with Harden, I would have agreed with you last year, but this year I think he's done a much better job of bringing it every game.

15. j@amc

j@amc Member

I just don't think the numbers lie. We just don't run hard top-of-the-key to top-of-the-key. We don't start 3 steps someone and hook it to beat them to the rim.

Personally, I think it's a stamina, fatigue thing.

I shouldn't be hard on Harden. He's being asked to carry way too much.

Smith, well, he's just now getting in game shape.

The rest of them - not sure what's going on: Motiejunas has hit a wall. Ariza wall. Terry wall. Beverley wall.

I can only hope McDaniels and Papanikolaou can play. We need at least one more live bodied player on the court for 6-8 minutes. Good thing we have Brewer. He's a pro and the model of consistency with effort.

It just seems like when we get to the 4th quarter we are gassed.

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

Again, I don't mean to be brutal but the stats don't lie:

The slowest players (mph) in the league are as follows: Shavlik Randolph #1, DeMarcus Cousins #2, Chris Bosh #3, David West #4, Ronny Turiaf #5, Tyrus Thomas #6, and then James Harden #7. Marc Gasol is #8.

For the record, Josh Smith #14 and Dwight Howard is #12.

http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/speed/?sort=AV_SPD&dir=-1

17. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Repped.

This is the correct answer.

NBA players (and especially coaches) don't want to waste time explaining breakdowns (or breakthroughs) after wins & losses.

Mainly because going into specifics with the media would likely put them at a competitive disadvantage (for obvious reasons). But also because 99.9% of fans wouldn't have the first clue of how their systems are supposed to operate, much less have a deep understanding of their strategy/terminology used to explain why they did (or didn't) execute.

Clichés will always exist. Best to just accept it as fans and carry on with life.

18. bmd

bmd Member

A coach will not go into the X's and O's, but he will give a general idea as to why the team lost.

Sometimes it's due to lack of hustle and effort. Sometimes they just had a bad shooting night. Sometimes they didn't execute the offense. Sometimes didn't get back in transition.

These reasons, while broad, are not cliche.

19. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

It's just not readily available.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Silly, naïve fans...
    He's not saying energy.... it's N R G.

McHale is Reliant's secret spokesman.