1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the rotation looking like if no Clemens?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Alimoe84, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Ok I know how everyone is tlking about Beltran and how we need to get this guy tied up, but one of our downfalls last season was not knowing who was going to take the hill day to day in the playoffs. Oswalt is our ace followed by Petttite. After that, the only possible candidates I can think of are Backe and Hernandez. If Rocket doesnt come back, this team needs to go out and get a couple of solid arms for the rotation. What do yall see the opening day rotation looking like? This is what I see if Clemens hangs it up...

Oswalt
    Pettitte
    _____
    Backe
    Hernandez

The _____ is for a pitcher I think we'll acquire.

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

The _______ will be Tim Redding.......again.:(

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

What is Buckholz's story?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oswalt
    Petitt
    Backe
    Hernandez
    Redding

3 out of 5 ain't bad, and the other 2 are ok.

DD

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Oswalt
    Pettitte
    Backe
    Free Agent
    Munro/Buckholz/other rookie or another free agent

Tim Redding will not be an Astro on Opening Day. Carlos Hernandez probably will be in the pen if anything. His arm strength still isn't where it needs to be. Brandon Duckworth will have to fight for a bullpen spot. I believe that a free agent will be signed at some point after the Beltran mess is cleared up. There are some potential starters that were in the minors this year. If Buckholz is healthy, he will get a shot. Ezequiel Astacio and Jared Gothreaux might get a chance in ST.

IF (and that is an enormous IF) Clemens does come back for 1 more, it will be

Clemens
    Oswalt
    Petttitte
    Backe
    FA or Munro or Buckholz

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Oswalt and Petite would be our only proven pitchers and Petite is coming off an injury plagued season. Clemens and Beltran have to come back for the Astros to compete against the Cardinals and Cubs.

Oswalt
    Pettite
    Backe
    Munro
    Hernandez

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Clemens
    Oswalt
    Petitte
    Miller
    Backe.

That would have been awesome.:(

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Clemens
    Roy O
    Petitte
    Munro
    Backe

Still not so bad :)

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Replace Munro with Tim Redding, Taylor Buckholz, Brandon Duckworth, Carlos Hernandez or yes, Wade Miller(the Astros can still bring him back if they choose).

Sooner or later that spot will be Buckholz's, and I expect an open competition in the Spring for that spot if clemens returns and miller does not. If they both return, the astros have trade bait at SP; if neither returns then you are looking at either two of the 4 filling the spots or one of them and a cheap FA.