1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the longest you have ever stayed at work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sonny, May 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

In other words, you give all your work to your subordinates while you surf the internet all day? :D

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I think around 30 hours; IT also.

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

That's awesome DD. I hope when I'm your age, I'm at least as successful as you are.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

We had our first significant wildfire of the season over the weekend. Between Saturday night at 9:00 and Sunday night at 10:00, I worked 21.5 hours. The rest of the time I was trying to sleep in my truck. (With a little morning snow, we caught it at 33 acres... otherwise we would have been off to the races.) On a large fire (thousands of acres), I typically average 15 hours a day for 14 days. We have rules that you can't work more than 16 hours at a time unless you're on intial attack (the first ones to a fire). We also have a rule that you can only work 14 straight days without having to take a day off.

During a tough season, you can have folks going 14 up, one down, 14 up for months at a time. We've found out that after 90 days in the field, about 50% of our best firefighters start to decline and after 130 days, even the toughest guys are hurting. Of course, these men and women are hiking miles with packs that weigh 50 lbs or more and doing hard physical labor (without regular showers) for 12 hours or more per day while sucking smoke all day and sleeping on the ground. It's actually a lot of fun, though I've never done it for more than a few days at a time.

[​IMG]

#24 rimrocker, May 9, 2003
    Last edited: May 9, 2003
  5. codell

codell Contributing Member

bunch of amateurs .........................

8 am December 31, 1999 - 2 am January 4th, 2000

By my count, that is 54 hours. :)

Oh and in between I took an 10 hour break to drive to a funeral 4 hours away.

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

4 solid days. Yes, slept in my office. Ahhh, the days of retail!

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I did it because I had to, at first, but after a month they gave me the biggest raise I have ever received (close to 40%). So the second month I was super motivated and happy to work the almost 100-hr work week.

Then they hired me an assistant, thank god.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I worked 29 hours one day at the hospital.(I guess thats a little more than one day) 7am to noon the next day. Funny, when I got home I still watched the Spurs/Lakers playoff game, although I don't remember anything past the 3rd quarter. ZZZZzzzzZZZZZzzzz. :)
    Oh when I was 19 I worked 94 hours in one week at the movie theater inside willowbrook mall, when it was open. I remember the HUGH $289 bucks I got that week. Woohoo!

#28 Severe Rockets Fan, May 9, 2003
    Last edited: May 9, 2003
  9. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

37 hours at the IT...

Worked 52 hours straight at the computer science lab once on a project if you count that work.

10. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

about fifty something hours. Been on crunch mode for two plus years for one project, and six months on another.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ditto! I worked 13 hour days when I worked at Enterprise after college. I had NO life.

I'll never do that again.

12. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

About 50 hours once, but in a different week, I pulled 3 all-nighters at work -- got to work Sunday night, worked through Monday Night and went home. Then got to work Tuesday Morning and stayed until Wednesday Night. Went home and slept. Worked Thursday morning to Friday afternoon.

13. The Voice of Reason

My longest that i can recall was actually as a lifeguard. I was in charge of the whole beach club, and there was an anual "sleep" over. I was the only certified guard, so i worked 7 days that summer and my shift was 7am-6 pm regularly with no breaks. I had to eat while I watched the water. Man that was tiring.
    the sleepover night was really a continuation from the normal work day, so I started at 7am and was stuck there till 6 pm the next day. no sleep, because of course the kids didnt sleep, and I was literally watching the water the whole time. the next day was just awfull. lifeguarding is a totally mental job, and very tiring, so by 5pm on the sunday i wanted to kill those kids.

ahh the good ol days

EDIT: I guess the difference was that I was forced to be there, but at least I was busy. no boredom, and plenty of interaction, so i still had a life, but those kids were my life... and their nannys appreciated me for it :)

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I did 49 hours, at work, without sleep, on a project once, ON MY BIRTHDAY!

I got sick right after that I'm sure from exhaustion.

15. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Sometimes, but only very rarely do I work 8 hours plus about 10 minutes in a single day.
    This is very rare though.

I could never work yous guys marathon shifts, no way!

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

mateo just curious what kind of work do you do?

and by the way, you were right about rites being a blast.. now that I have regained all hearing =)

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hey Dakota do I remeber right that you said you live in Austin.

You wouldnt happen to be working on the Star Wars Galaxies would you?

18. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

40 hours a week and I work with good people (energy co.)...also my wife and I own a business

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hmm... about 18-21 hours unloading 18 wheelers for Wal-Mart. I'm usually the one working odd-ball hours in IT. I'll work the normal 8-12 hour shift, then show up at 2 am and work till 7 am sometimes. I loved working the graveyard shift when I worked for Wal-Mart and RPS. Nothing like getting to work at 3am. :eek:

I still can't believe IT people get paid what they do for what they do when people unloading trucks for Wal-Mart and loading trucks for RPS like I did get paid what they do. Given the choice and equal pay, there's no way in hell I'd want to be doing that stuff again. :)

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I worked 6 1/2 hours once, by accident.