1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the longest you have ever stayed at work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sonny, May 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Well I'm closing in on my 21st straight hour at work, just wondering how long you guys have been stuck working at the office before? I think this is pretty close to the longest for me.

I haven't even had dinner yet from last night. I stole somebody's Ensure drink though as a snack which was actually pretty good. :)

Yes I am very bored.

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

36hrs.

3. Sonny

Yowsa, you in IT also?

4. treeman

treeman Member

Regular duty - 48 hours. In the field? Different story, but that's not really work... (unless you call going camping and blowing things up "work")

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

36 hours. And yes I am in IT.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, it's kind of hard to estimate, considering I do maybe an hour of actual work every day...

1 person likes this.
  7. Heretic

Heretic Member

41 hours straight duty when I was in the army. Infantry units don't like sleep.

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I pulled a 26 hour shift once.

Then to top it off, the project we were working on didn't get delivered because of weather....

I remember getting off work, going to McDonald's, getting breakfast, eating on the way home, then once I got home, sleeping for mega hours....

9. coma

coma Contributing Member

Yup.

10. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

There was a 2-month period two summers ago where I was working from 7am to 11:30 5 days a week, plus working 8 to 5 on both weekend days.

We called that the "Letterman Summer" because we left after Letterman every night. Thank god there are TVs on the trade floor.

11. Sonny

That's like a 100hr work week, damn!!

I've worked about 65hrs in 4 days this week.

12. coma

coma Contributing Member

Hey Sonny,

I hope they are paying you well, cuz that's a lot of hrs. I used to work mad hrs like that, but I decided to cut back myhrs when the pay did not match the hrs I put in.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I once pulled a 15 hour shift when I worked at K-Mart during the Christmas holdiay season.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have what is called Crunch time on our projects, it is basically working from 9am to 1am and then going home to sleep and doing it all again.

6 days a week, and on Sunday we only work 8 hours.

I did this for over a year.

Ugh.

DD

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Now, here's the next question...Did you all work these hours because you HAD to, or because you CHOSE to?

Personally, I value my free time a little more than the few extra bucks I'll see by working too many extra hours, but I'm probably in the minority. I'm sure my wife would end up spending all the extra money on clothes, anyways. :)

If I have to work 60 hours a week to get what I want in life, then all the extra stuff probably isn't worth it...

16. coma

coma Contributing Member

A little bit of both actually. When I work a lot of hrs, it's because I 'have' to finish what i'm working on. I work for a bank, so when our systems are down, it costs us money by the second. Of course I can go home and play my Xbox, but I 'choose' to work so I won't lose my job.

17. B

B Contributing Member

My longest shift was 40.5 hours at work. I just barely beat the deadline, then I found out the product launch was delayed two months, rendering my extreme shift pointless. I've had mulitple 32 hour shifts, and two 36 hour shifts.

B

18. Sonny

The major suck ass part it I am salary.

It pays well though.

The extra hours is also getting me a promotion.. :)

19. coma

coma Contributing Member

Cool. Can I send you my resume when you get promoted? :D

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Crunch was required though some did not work as long as I did. I worked the 2nd most hours on the team....but I probably could have done less, but than I would not have had the respect of the team, and it would have made it harder to start my own company.

Ultimatly the team saw that their boss worked as hard as they did and it garnered respect and they came with me to the new venture.

By the way, I have made it clear to them that my days of crunching are now over. I pass the design of the games onto the younger guys and I am there to help foster them through unforseen hurdles.

I have done my time, now I will sit back and guide.

10+ years in the computer games industry means you are a survivor, and now I have moved up into upper managment, it takes a while but it was well worth it.

I make great jack, and control my hours completely.

38 years old and only 5 or so years away from retirement, if I want it.....of course I love my job...so.....

DD