1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the legacy of Sleepy Floyd?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ElDobleK, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Clutchfans, let's talk Sleepy Floyd. How's he remembered these days? I've heard a few opinions about him on this board (thought I can't cite any specifically), ranging from nostalgic reverence to disappointment. But I'm a young(er) fan, so my first recognizable memories of the Rockets come from the championship years. So, for older fans out there, how do you remember Sleepy's years as a Rocket?

I know his acquisition put the nail in the coffin of the Twin Towers era. And obviously, the years in which he played a central role with Houston can't be remembered too fondly, as they all ended in first round bounces. But statistically his scoring numbers were serviceable, and he finished 5th in assists during the '88-'89 season.

I ask because I recently viewed a video of his historic 29 point quarter against the Lakers in '87. Paired with the impressive numbers he put up as a Warrior, I'm just curious why he never seemed to pan out in Houston and what accounted for such a precipitous drop in production during his last two seasons here.

Plus, I'm pretty tired of the goings on of this offseason, so I figured it might be fun to talk about something else for a while.

2. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I loved him.

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I started watching the Rockets consistently probably around the 90-91 season, so I was 8 during the season so I don't remember much.

He was towards the tail end of his career when we got him but was our sixth man swingman off the bench. I remember him during the 13 game winning streak the Rockets had during the 90-91 season when Olajuwon came back with a H in his name and goggles.The Bulls/Rockets game that was posted a few months back, he was still on the team, as the sixth man backing up Maxwell. He was our energy guy, a shooter/slasher type player with an awkward shooting form.

He was caught in the numbers game towards the end of his tenure here, last I remember he was on the '93 Rockets team that was beaten in the 2nd round vs. the Sonics but wasn't a rotation player.

I believe he had a drug history also? But was clean by the time his playing days was done, I think he played for the Spurs afterwards then retired.

4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

could not stand him, at all.
    not with the Rockets, at least. Point guards who shoots (very streakily, i might add) first on a team with the Dream was a huge no-no in my book.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I think he still holds the record for most points in a playoff quarter.

I thought he was OK. I seem to remember him dominating a Dallas playoff game for the Rockets.

The problem with the trade wasn't Sleepy Floyd it was Joe Barely Cares.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sleepy wasn't bad, he just wasn't a good PG like Kenny.
    He could score points in a bunch when he got hot though.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sleepy was probably one of the most explosive players to play for the Rockets, but most of his explosiveness was with the Golden State Warriors. By the time he came to the Rockets, he was starting to go downhill, but even before that, he was already deferring to other players on our team like Hakeem, OT, etc. It also didn't help that he was coming in after an era where we saw one of the most promising Rockets teams ever destroyed by drugs. Lloyd, Wiggins, and Lucas also came back while Sleepy was here. We had some deep teams for some of the years he was here which also cut into his stats. Unfortunately that didn't translate to any rings or anything. I remember Sleepy had a temper on him that would often make him commit stupid turnovers or fouls.

Floyd used to run a money management company or something somewhere in Houston after he retired. I can't believe the guy has to be like in his 50's now. Geez. There are some current photos of him on Facebook - brings back some memories of those late 80's and the Rockets.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

When I went to Houston in 2000, I went bowling, and I saw him there, and I asked his autograph, but didnt talked with him, he was a nice person.

Well that was my "cool story bro" moment. :)

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's probably one of the best finishing small point guards I've ever seen. He would slither to rim with the ball like wrapped up in his hand and then kind of unfurl it right as he approached the bucket. Once he took that last stride to the rim he was automatic. Reminded me of Lew Lloyd that away, money in the paint.

10. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Eric Sleepy Floyd was one of my favorite rockets. He signed my 'rockets banner' along with Buck Johnson. lol still, I loved his game. great warrior too. :grin:

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

In the post hand check rule change NBA Sleepy would have been even more effective as a scoring point guard.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sleepy managed to get away with carrying the ball just about every possession. It was amazing that he was never called for it.

He also had a move where he'd rap his off-hand around the front of the defender to pull himself around them that should have always been an offensive foul. Somehow he managed to get away with it about 75% of the time.

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Floyd was an explosive scorer but he wasn't a good fit with Hakeem .

He was a shoot first PG who had to dominate the ball. He was a streaky outside shooter who could really get on a roll. Even when he wasn't hitting his outside shot he could always get the the rim.

Sleepy excelled when the floor was spread for him to drive and either finish or dish. GS suited him since Joe Barry Carroll played so much high post. When he and JBC got here Floyd didn't have the driving lanes because Hakeem was in the low blocks most of the time. Not having consistent opportunities to drive turned Floyd into a less consistent player since he had to rely more on his streaky outside shot.

He was alot like Vernon Maxwell in the sense that when he got hot he was totally on fire. He'd have stretches where he just wouldn't miss.

I could be wrong but I don't ever remember Floyd having any involvement whatsoever with drugs as mentioned in an earlier post.

14. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

He was a very sleepy individual.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think he really clashed with Akeem as much as people say - this was a different, much faster paced NBA when simply tossing the ball down low and standing around really hadn't been invented yet.

Also, for an alleged "shoot first" point guard, he really didn't shoot very much if you look at the numbers, for his career with houston he maybe took 9-11 FGA per game. In a faster-paced era - that's not a whole lot. Hell it's not even a lot if he played today...Rafer Alston shot a lot more than Sleepy did.

#15 SamFisher, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A better more efficient Rafer Alston.

DD

17. Htown's2kFinest

he has quite a few trading cards..

18. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Back then, I'm not so sure if the internet was already available. I had to rely on reading the newspaper or watching sports news on tv.

What I remember is the stat line for a game 2 Dallas-Houston playoff game, where I think Sleepy scored 42 while Hakeem had 40 points and almost 20 rebounds...I think. Houston leveled the series...but eventually lost the series , if I remember correctly.

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

I remember back in the late 80s playoffs v. Dallas, Hakeem and him were the first teammates in NBA history to drop 40 a piece in a playoff game. I believe Hakeem and Clyde were the 2nd to do it. Not sure if it has been done by anyone sense.

20. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

LOL!!!