1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the going price for Dragic by the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Great post BBH, glad to have you posting stuff like this and in good form.....adds such value to guys like me.

1) I like how you benchmarked the Rondo trade as a comp for what the market is doing. I would also add that the market might be even more depressed now for PG's since Dallas is out of the market and if rumors are true at all about Deron to SAC then that would take SAC out as well.

2) Goran looking for a TOR situation hadn't crossed my mind. That's certainly a gamble but one I think teams like the Rockets would take (perhaps thinking the lure of competing for a title right away + 5 year contract is enough to keep him).

3) From your break down you're thinking the most the market will offer is 2 mid 20 1st rounders + a late 2nd + salary filler and possibly less if the market for Dragic is smaller and Dragic's value is depressed more the closer to the deadline we get.

So would Rox 2017 1st + Hou 2nd + NYK 2nd + salary to match gets the job done in your opinion?

2. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yes, I would definitely do that deal. Any deal of Terry, NOP pick, and 1 of Canaan, Capela, Jones would be great IMO. Dragic is such a great fit for this team and we won't be able to sign him in FA without giving up those players for less value anyways.

This team with Dragic and Brewer (both who is love to see resigned) is just a top flight backup big away from being the most complete team in the league. It is time to go all in to complete the team.

3. gregas

gregas Member

http://http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24904619/trade-buzz-the-suns-goran-dragic-dilemma
    The Phoenix Suns, who beat the lowly Knicks 99-90 on Saturday, are in a bit of a quagmire with free agent-to-be Goran Dragic, rival executives say. Multiple teams already are inquiring as to what it would take to break up the Suns' three-guard rotation of Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and Isaiah Thomas -- with Dragic, a prospective free agent, garnering the most attention. Coincidentally, executives have gotten the impression that Dragic is the one Phoenix would most like to keep if they do, indeed, decide to make a move.

As I've thought, they're not going to move their best player, unless they decide to completely rebuild. Thomas is probably the one most likely to go, imo.

4. gregas

gregas Member

EDIT: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/24904619/trade-buzz-the-suns-goran-dragic-dilemma

5. baubo

baubo Member

You are approaching this from the wrong angle. It's not up to Phoenix to decide. From Phoenix perspective, the guy they want to get rid of is Thomas, and the trade they want for Dragic is the next Harden or Love. But the problem is Dragic is going to become a FA and he's not going to re-sign to a 9th seed team with 4 non-filler PGs on the roster.

This is playing out exactly like the Lowry/Dragic situation of 3 years ago. Dragic became a FA. He and Lowry were clearly not going to work together. So the Rockets traded Lowry and planned to re-sign Dragic (if you believe rumors, before Les stepped in on the Jeremy Lin front). If Dragic tells Phoenix "Either trade Bledsoe and Thomas or I leave," Phoenix may decide it's better to trade him instead.

6. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

why would he want bledsoe and thomas traded? just one of them will fix their logjam at PG...

7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

how many times had Angie said he wanted to keep Rondo:rolleyes:

8. baubo

baubo Member

They just drafted a PG with their lottery pick, who's going to demand major minutes or it would be a waste of a pick. Trading Thomas doesn't change the fact that he'll still have to look over his shoulder at Ennis.

And you seem to think Dragic likes playing with Bledsoe. Dragic was only above average last year before Bledsoe got hurt. He went on that star-level streak with Bledsoe out.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tyler ennis was not a lottery pick

10. Rox>Mavs

I love Bev and his sheer toughness. He does what we need when harden runs the offense. But the guy can't run an offense hmself to save his life. I think the clearest upgrade needed now is the PG spot. Dragic is the best option out there that can facilitate in place of harden.

11. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

another limitation for the Suns is that they won't trade Dragic for a big man (Monroe, Hill, ...), they've got plenty of those. most likely a wing player.

I think Papa + Shved (rumor is Suns like him) + NOP's lottery pick for Dragic seems fair to me.

and then trade Brewer+Capela+NY's 2nd for Wright+Crowder, we'd be set.

Howard, DMo, Dorsey
    Wright, Jones, Black
    Ariza, Crowder
    Harden, Terry, Johnson
    Dragic, Beverley, Canaan

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dragic is too ball dominant to play with Harden. He will clash.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Posturing. The Suns played Bledsoe & Thomas in the 4th over Dragic again.

Meanwhile..

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...ood-fit-for-knicks-triangle-offense-1.9735070
    http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/free-agent-to-be-dragic-says-hes-open-to-knicks/
    A far cry from what Dragic said in the off-season about re-signing the next day... That was before the Bledsoe & Thomas signings.

14. Rox>Mavs

Could have used another ball dominating guard tonight. Harden can't carry this load for long. Just bc harden controls the offense most of the time doesn't mean he has to or even that he can sustainable for the entire season. Harden and dragic are both talented and versatile enough to learn how to share the ball.

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Dragic on the Knicks dont sound bad

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds bad to me, as a Rockets fan.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Yes, people need to stop putting Lin's failures onto other players.

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Papa is who Phoenix wants but Terrence Jones. He will do great in Phoenix. I think that has been the hold up the entire time. We just need Tjones to get healthy again so we can trade him. Papa will get the back up minutes at pf.

19. basketballholic

LOL. Terrence is not the hold-up. PHX is the holdup.

20. gaspar

gaspar Member

Nope.