1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the going price for Dragic by the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, our leverage position is somewhat handcuffed by what we could eventually offer Dragic in free agency. As it stands now, we have 7 folks locked up next year and with Roster charges.

We are on the hook for 55.9 million and the cap is projected to be 66.5m, which means we only have about 10.5m in cap space. That number already excludes Papanikolau, Cannan and Beverley. You would have to trade Dmo and Jones to get to 14.2m. This also includes NOT drafting the 12th pick. Trading Capella gets us to about 15 million.

Dragic is going to cost at least 15 million so if we were to sign him in free agency, maybe more.

So if anyone has grand desires about signing him in free agency, recognize you will be parting with the following to do so.

Beverley
    Papa
    Canaan
    Dmo
    Jones
    Capella
    NOP #1

2. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This is a critical point bc our ability to have cap space strengthens or weakens our position. I was think the cal could be around 68. 58 in 2013, bumped to 63 this year, I thought another $5 million for next year was in line.

I think we just need the threat or relative ability to clear $15 million for us to strengthen our position with PHX. As well the fact that LAL and nyk with max space is lurking out there helps too.

3. Rox>Mavs

He's thinking the other way. Meaning that's too much....

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

The way I look at it we would really just be giving up the first round pick and Capela.

Because if we did get Dragic there would be no minutes for Terry and Brewer anyway with the combination of Harden, Pat, and Bev in the backcourt and Kostas and Ariza taking all the minutes at the 3.

to make an omelet you have to break a few eggs and Dragic is worth it

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think we will, and I still think it'd be a great deal for us. Not sure who we'll be bidding against but come February I'm 100% certain there will be multiple teams who want to be in the Dragic market.

I mean, who among us predicted that the Mavs would not only be in the market for Rondo but would actually land him? I never read anyone on CF predicting that move. Even when Stein started reporting it all I read was that the rumor was a smokescreen and wouldn't happen. Yet... here we are, with Rondo in Dallas. If anything, I'd think the market for Dragic would be bigger than the one for Rondo.

So I'd be willing to do the package I proposed and possibly more. Because I think it'd help us tremendously.

6. scottie brooks

Agreed. The Dragic is worth it. He is the last Dragon. The only better option would be Lowry and that ain't happening.

7. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

Dragic is a star in his prime. If the Rockets can get and extend him at 30M/3yr for the NOP pick + Capela/Black/Dorsey + Shved + NYK 2nd round pick/Brewer/KPap, take that and run.

8. Rox>Mavs

That's good insight....which is why I'm blantanly asking the question to see if collectively if we really thought through the market, who are buyer for a pg like rondo. I do think the appeal is higher than rondo. I didnt foresee dallas but it's not surprising either since the one place they sucked badly was pg.

Given that, I don't think its too difficult to think a list of teams that could see dragic as an upgrade + be either an attractive enough market to resign him (LA, NYK) or be a strong enough contender for a ring + have cap space to threaten signing him in the summer.

That's a lot of conditions that narrow the field. Of those teams we only have to beat the one willing to give the most.

Again Id do the deal you proposed but I'd like to see what the market is like and not have to spend more than we absolutely need to. It'd be nice to have something left to go shop for a backup big.

9. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

We have to get him or this season is a wash.

Which means he's coming!

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we have his bird rights than we can go over the cap to resign him no?

11. shawn786

shawn786 Member

That's scarryyyyy good! :cool:

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

His trade value is dropping.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's talking about free agency. We have to get him in a trade or we are going to have to gut our team to get him. I think that is the reason why Morey picked up Shved and Brewer, so we have to contracts to trade for a good player.

14. basketballholic

Rondo's trade value was:

1. One first round pick from Dallas with limited lottery protection but will likely turn into a pick in the 20's in the 2016 draft.

2. A second round pick from Dallas/Memphis in 2016, most likely in the 50's.

3. Brandan Wright - a backup center but a good one...worthy of being a borderline starter in the NBA and quite possibly the best backup center in the NBA. But an expiring contract just the same so his trade value will be somewhat limited....probably not more than a future first rounder from a playoff team that amounts to at most a pick in the 20's.

Plus some salary cap fodder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU RATE RONDO AND DRAGIC AS EQUAL TALENTS (A LOT OF NBA GMs DO):

The most Dragic should go for at the deadline is a low first, a low second, plus another low first/high second. And that's actually matching Rondo's value at the deadline.

Most likely Dragic goes off for less than that.

IF YOU RATE DRAGIC ABOVE RONDO (which most NBA GMs do not) then you may be able to squeeze more value out of Dragic.

IF YOU RATE DRAGIC SLIGHTLY BELOW RONDO (a few NBA GMs do) then you can see the limit on the assets that would be sent out.

Combine this with these extra factors:

1. It's the deadline and teams are facing a shorter window to recruit Goran as a free agent.

2. Some deals will have already been consumated and there will be other deals that are dividing the attention of GMs at the deadline.

3. More teams will have made the definitive move to tank out for a lottery pick realizing they are out of the playoff picture so that will lessen the trade pool for Goran.

4. Goran is sending signals that he is going to investigate free agency thoroughly leaving himself open to everybody.

then that should further deplete his trade value.

On #4 above, my concern is like Lowry, a team MAY be able to appeal to Goran in free agency by selling him on being the cornerstone of their franchise. That was a HUGE selling point for Lowry staying in Toronto. Lowry is Toronto now. He's their man. They live and die by what he does.

Goran could possibly be looking for a similar situation. A team that will let him become the face of their franchise. I don't know who that would be. But like he said..the Knicks are out there, Lakers, Sixers, etc. Goran COULD be looking for just that kind of setup that Lowry has.

And if that is the case, why would we go all-in on Goran??

I WILL BE SHOCKED IF WE GIVE UP THE PELS PICKS FOR GORAN.

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

wow, OP, this sounds like a comprehensive exam haha

But I like your sequential thinking/questions

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If we end up refusing to trade for Rondo or Dragic because we didn't include our lottery pick I will be confused.... If you are declining to go alll in on Dragic or Rondo then that is pretty perplexing. I have said all along is that the pipe dream is Aldridge. After that we will just wait on KD.

If that pick ends up being necessary than you do it. That is personally why I think we should have dealt if for Rondo if that is possible. Bird in the hand and all.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This season is a wash if he comes in Feb. It would be too much of a disruption to add a major piece like that near the end of the season. If they were to acquire him at that time, I hope it would be because there was some advantage in ability to sign him to an extension, like Bird rights/allowing us not to have to clear up cap space/renounce rights of other players in the summer, because you're limiting your ceiling in the present if it happens in my opinion, assuming the team keeps rolling along at its current level of performance.

18. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Watching that video gives me goosebumps... It's so weird seeing James on the other team :p

19. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

big assumption

Plus we have been playing too many close/overtime games for comfort.

20. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I really don't think it's Goran that Morey wants. I still think it's Bledsoe. Based on this article Phoenix still wants Goran So to me I wouldn't be surprised if we still end up with a signed Bledsoe. What we can offer the Sun's is expiring contracts so that they can sign Goran this summer and a post player or the NO pick. I could be wrong but I think Bledsoe fits better with Harden than Goran. Goran needs the ball in his hands like Harden does (which is the reason i think we passed on Rondo), Bledsoe on the other hand can be dominant with or without the ball