1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the game plan when the 3's aren't falling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Feb 22, 2020.

1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

remember last year when clint missed like 20 games. did it effect harden lol. hell cp3 n gordon down. did that effect him. harden litterly can have 4 ymca guys n make it to the play offs

D-rock, juanm34 and DreamShook like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Threes aren't falling? Keep shooting threes!" - MDA

deb4rockets and D-rock like this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Shoot more 3s?

deb4rockets and D-rock like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Game plan for playing badly is play less badderer.

D-rock likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If the 3’s don't fall.......go even smaller...

6. smp

smp Member

Drive to the basket. WB, Harden, EG, and Rivers can all drive and finish.

D-rock likes this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like what is this thread? U can literally go to any team and say, what happen if our shots won't go in, whats the back up plan?

D-rock likes this.
  8. bongman

bongman Member

Imagine if our players had this mentality....no trust in the system :-(

D-rock likes this.
  9. SemisolidSnake

As has been pointed out by others, having someone that's ONLY a lob threat is a bigger detriment to the team than what we have now. If Harden and Russ can pull off that masterful lob tonight, I think anyone's a lob threat when James decides they are.

As for what to do when the threes aren't falling, well, believe me, I've been asking that question for years. Game 7 is still burned into my mind. BUT...what nobody remembers about that game is that the Rockets tried to attack the basket and they were stopped by the Warriors clogging the paint and the refs swallowing their whistles. I don't think that will work this time around. The floor is so spread that there are just too many gaps to penetrate. And if James is doubled, then it's practically open court to the basket.

For years, I really bristled at the Rockets' absolute dependence on threes. The thing is, though, between Russ not taking them (and scoring 30-40 pts per game while abstaining) and the offense being SO spread out, threes don't actually feel like they're as critical a part of the Rockets' game as they used to be. They're still there, and they're still running up the score when they fall. But, and I can't believe I'm saying this, they don't feel like they're the do-or-die thing that they were for the past half a decade. And that's with MORE shooters on the floor.

It just feels so counterintuitive that I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see with my own eyes. Russ + going small has just inherently opened up all sorts of alternative offensive avenues. Just keep improving the defense, and I think the offense will take care of itself.

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just think this is a silly question. Every player is different, it's all independent. Tonight the threes were falling for James, they weren't falling for Covington. They weren't falling for PJ but they were for BMac. They weren't falling for Gordon but they were falling for Austin. So basically what you're asking is "yeah but what if they aren't falling for James, Covington, PJ, BMac, House, Gordon, Rivers"...so what if every single player on our team can't make a shot? Yeah, then we lose. It's not like the rockets are unique, they aren't the only team that's going to lose if none of their shots go in. That's true for literally every team in the NBA.

People are so weird about 3s like they're so different from everything else. Like there's some kind of magic thing about "what are these idiots doing shooting 3s when they can't make 3s???" What does any team do when none of their shots go in? They lose. To me it's not any different.

D-rock, Hakeemtheking and peleincubus like this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

3-somes don’t have to be weird. You really just go with the flow. Eventually things happen if your patient. Band of course go to the hole.

D-rock likes this.
  12. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

ask harden to offense

13. shwinn23

shwinn23 Contributing Member

If 3s don’t work try 2s and 1s. Apart from that I’m fresh out of ideas.

heypartner likes this.
  14. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Just sit there and watch harden dribble till clock runs out and you pass out for a brick. NEW COACh Please!!

MrSabotage likes this.
  15. macan

macan Member

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

What’s plan B?

-murray

J.R. likes this.
  17. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Lol

Look who the coach is

MrSabotage likes this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Huh?

The past x amount of seasons hasn’t hammered home the fact we don’t have a back up option?

J.R. likes this.
  19. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Does mike tony need an offensive coordinator?

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Lmaooooo there is no backup plan. It’s keep on shooting and hope you can win or lose and try to regroup.

As much as I love Harden, he does not have that mamba mentality as much as we want him to. We have to hope when his shots aren’t falling that it’s not gonna happen during the post season/he somehow realizes that he has so many arsenals in his move pocket that he can utilize them all.

I still believe in our small ball system, and I’m not too worried if we lose tonight.