1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the delay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vstexas09, Jul 23, 2015.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Terry, Thornton, Harrell, Hayes, Wood (or Williams) have not yet been signed.

I know there's no particular rush, but it's concerning to know what's taking so long for players to get signed. Just a worry that some of these players may end up getting picked up by other teams.

Harrell's tweets last night were peculiar as well.

Anyone know (insiders?) what's with the holdup? Are we at risk of losing these players?

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you somewhat answered your own question. there is 4 spots or so and you listed 6 guys.

also the cap is a factor now that could come into play with trying to sign a player during the season.

3. rockets13champs

He just said never settle with being ok.

4. vstexas09

Yeah, forgot about retaining flexibility during the season.

I just am eager to get this stacked team ready to roll. With players and disgruntled owners wrecking havoc, I just hope our guys are secure.

The guys listed offer so much for such great value. I would hate for Morey to lose out on that.

5. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

i bet you were worried when Morey did nothing as well, then we signed Lawson.

6. vstexas09

Step off your high horse bro. You seem to have doubts in your previous posts as well.

I'm just asking, what's the hold up?

7. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Not on my high horse at all, just giving the benefit of the doubt to a GM who has come through time and time again. Sure he knows what he is doing

8. malakas

malakas Member

If you want to know what's taking so long read some other threads and Bima's tweet.
    We are facing the danger to be hard capped and all the other teams are signing their high second rounders to big deals and we don't want to so as not to be hard capped.
    Terry and Hayes also will have to get 1 year vet mins most likely which they may not want and there will be negotiations.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

10. basketballholic

In the summer roster size can increase up to 20 players. Those minimum salary deals are probably agreed to and salted away for later but Morey is most likely leaving the door open to use some or all of his trade exceptions to take on multiple small contracts that he can later merge into a larger salary trade along with a player like Terrence Jones. ;) He most likely wants to leave the door open and not run out of roster slots if the opportunity manifests itself.

For instance, Detroit just signed Adonis Thomas to a partially guaranteed contract. That means they now have 18 guaranteed or partially guaranteed contracts on the books. They might be open to dumping a couple of those contracts for a low second rounder in order not to have to cut them and eat the salary. We could conceivably take on 3 contracts from them and then in 60 days we could merge those salaries into a deal along with Terrence and trade for a higher salaried player.

Detroit would probably be willing to let Cartier Martin go for nothing and if they traded him to us using the Minimum Salary Exception we might actually get a second rounder or a pick swap for doing that. They might be willing to throw in Reggie Bullock or Spencer Dinwiddie to get Martin off the books. Brooklyn may want to move Earl Clark in the same fashion. Denver might be willing to trade Joffrey Lauvergne our TPE. Miami has 13 guaranteed contracts plus Whiteside's non-guaranteed deal. That's 14 roster slots. Tyler Johnson and Henry Walker are non-guaranteed but start to become guaranteed starting 8/1/2015.

Miami is a special case because they are in the repeater tax, not just the luxury tax. And if they don't get out of the luxury tax this year, they will most likely pay the repeater again next year as well. So, they are somewhat DESPERATE to get below the tax line. I'm pretty sure they would agree to trade us those non-guaranteed contracts for nothing and give us a second or at least a pick swap for doing so if they can't find a taker that will give them a second rounder for those guys. This could lead us to enough salary to trade for Mario Chalmers or Chris Andersen.....or maybe even both players in a future 3-way deal with Philly where we send away those non-guaranteeds and minimum salary players for some cash and perhaps a second rounder.

Consider this possibility when/if you see some goofy off-the-wall trades for some of the players I mentioned above or for some other off-the-wall player that doesn't have a chance of making our roster.

1 person likes this.
  11. photojoe

photojoe Member

Maybe he is waiting until 3 days before the season starts to the sign all of them. Because that's how he rolls.

12. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

We don't know how the minutes will work yet now with Ty

Thorton probably want kj minutes but we plan on playing him in rotation

Harrell probably doesn't want to be behind TJ and

Hays doesn't want to be behind Dwight and Capella

13. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why r u so anxious?
    It's just waitting for some trade possibility.
    we can sign our these guys anytime
    Not every guys r D. Jordan, don't need worry about these players

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

as we've seen from the mavs series. OP is a troll or fake troll.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/222095/20150721/miami-heat-trade-rumors-mario-chalmers.htm

Could this be 'a reason' why we have a delay?
    PG rotation of Lawson, Bev and Chalmers?

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Chalmers? I guess he would be very usefull when the inevitable injury bug strikes

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Hmm I'd be okay with Chalmers as security at the point...but how the hell would we squeeze him under the cap if the Heat don't want a contract in return?

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Didn't Chalmers play some shooting guard when Heat went small? Chalmers>Thorton?

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

He did. Keep in mind however that chalmers is coming off his worst season, which is why he would be had for peanuts. He is a solid player though and I rate him, his shooting was pretty woeful last season but I'm confident he can get back up to around 35-37% from three. I'd actually be fine with acquiring chalmers over Terry, I think thornton would be a good player to have for some instant offense, something he excels at better than chalmers. Just my two cents though. But a pg rotation of Lawson/bev/chalmers is very good. Not sure how we can make it work (cap wise) but give me chalmers over Terry anyday of the week at this point in their careers.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

We need another PF/C for sure.