1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the #1 pick worth?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I've posted several trades (some realistic & some not so realistic) & almost everytime, someone has posted that we weren't getting enough in the deal. In one trade, I had the Rockets receiving #8/#10/#12/Eddie Jones/Ellis/Clipper's #1 pick next year & dumped Rice & Taylor off the books. That's 4 #1 picks, a solid starting SF, & two bad contracts off the books, & yet, I was again told that wasn't enough.

So, my question is, what would it take to get the #1 pick away from us? What would knock our socks off? And, NO, the Lakers wouldn't be offering Shaq or Kobe. So, don't bother offering that scenario.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the #1 pick is worth yao ming! :)

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A proven (and no Odom is not proven) front court star. I would do it for Brand and Curry, get rid of bad contracts, and some picks to get a SF.

4. milo

milo Member

Probably something along the lines of an Elton Brand or
    Kevin-- please let it just happen trade gods-- Garnett.

Doesn't Ming solve our small foward problems?

5. dTown333

dTown333 Member

The number one pick in '92 was worth a sh!tload, but that was because Shaq was in that draft. Likewise with the '97 draft - Tim Duncan. Those guys were league-renowned talents, and those draft spots had corresponding values. So just like BigM said, this one is worth Yao Ming; and as much as I support the guy, the other teams in the league may not. So what is the value of the #1? To me it has much less of a value on the market than it does if you keep it.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

#1 pick in 93 was worth 4 #1's overall. Wish Rudy and CD would consider a trad e for a package like that.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think it's worth the playoffs. If we don't make the playoffs, then we mest up our offseason.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Hottoddie -

I am on record as being pro-Ming and Odom + 8 +12 isn't enough for me. I see Ming as addressing all of the Rockets needs.

And no, the Lakers won't give us Shaq and Garnett makes $25m and that ain't happening unless you want to give up #1, Cat, and/or EG and talk the TWolves into Rice and MoT for salary matching...the snowball in hell has a better chance.

That said, I am going to give this thread some serious thought but here are some things I consider to be absolutely critical:

1) Any serious trade should only be made with an Eastern Conference team. This limits the impact in case your have under estimated how good Yao will become. You would only have to face him twice yearly and in the Finals.

2) Chicago & Washington are under the cap and I would make them eat Rice's contract (if CBA possible).

3) My list of trades would only include the following (with a ** = "maybe"):

Antoine Walker **
    Paul Pierce
    Eddie Jones + multiple future #1 picks **
    (Kenyon Martin + Richard Jefferson) **
    Sprewell + #7 + multiple future 1sts + take Rice
    (Mike Miller + Steven Hunter + multiple future 1sts ) **
    Haywood + Nesby re-signed + Etan Thomas + take Rice + future multiple 1sts
    Ratliff + DerMarr + take Rice
    Chandler + ERobb + take Rice (doubt Krause would do it)
    a package for Andre Miller sending him to another team (Miami ?) and pick swaps

Anyway, this is not all "doable" (but more realistic than Shaq or KG ;) ) but you see my point. Send Ming East if there's a trade.