1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats Happening McHale?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CertifiedTroll, Apr 15, 2012.

1. CertifiedTroll

It seemed at the beginning of the year McHale was benching players that play bad. I understand that its getting near playoff time so now isn't exactly the time to ruin a players esteem; however, when we go so cold in the third as we often do it seems like McHale should be trying to find a new strategy.

(Could it really hurt us so bad to try Marcus Morris in some actual minutes, if he just gets exploited on defense then by all means bench him too.) Please some one with better knowledge and insight explain to me what goes wrong in the third and possible solutions.

2. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

No energy coming out of halftime.

Solution-
    The assistant coaches (because all mcfail does is clap) need to energize the players before halftime is over.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

McHale is constantly encouraging players during the game, the evidence is right there on TV. He's Mr. positivity out there. Its up to the players to buy in or not.

4. CertifiedTroll

I try to think positive about our situation and not just over react to a loss. I felt in third that you could really tell how different players react when things start going bad. Parsons looked like he was really pissed that they were doing bad. Any one see anyone else show any emotion?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

*clap* *clap* *clap* Come on Rockets! *clap* *clap* *clap*

:p

6. CertifiedTroll

Well, now probably is the time to get players confident. As much as I hated seeing PPat struggle through the game (AND would love to see Morris get some pt in the third), he holds a significant role on our team. If he can't break out of this slump we are going to probably see a rough post season, if we do even see one. But that being said I think he will pull it together, and as you said.. Hopefully McHale's approach can encourage him.

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Fixed.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Tough to come up with a new strategy when nobody can make a shot and everyone stops giving effort because of it.

If he would have benched the people that played bad tonight, this team wouldn't have any players left.

9. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

We could give Morris and Boykins more minutes when others are playing bad. Just to switch it up and see what they do. When he was doing that the team was winning.

10. dobro1229

I agree Parsons has the mentally that you really need. I sincerely question the mental toughness of guys like Patterson, and even Bud who seem to have confidence issues. The reality is that this is a very flawed team and has been from the get-go. The difference is when you get into playoffs or in playoff type games as of lately teams really scout you well and play against your weakness much better. Its going to be tough for the Rockets to get in the playoffs if they cant win the next game especially.

11. CertifiedTroll

I guess we will see tomorrows performance. I am expecting a big game out of dragic

12. dobro1229

I know what you mean about Morris, but the coaching staff is obviously now trying to tighten up the rotation in more of a playoff type of mode. You really have to just stick with the players that got you where you are.

Looking back Im sure McHale would have wanted to try Morris more with Patterson's minutes, but like with anything its hinesight 20/20. Season is almost over. Only thing the front office, and coaching staff can do is learn from the mistakes they made this year.

13. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Yeah if McHale is still here next season, I can't help but think alot of these guys are going to get shipped out for personnel that fit McHale's style a little more. I bet he looked at the nuggets today and wished he had guys like Andre Miller, Faried, and Afflalo on his team.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

McHale's inside out style is retro, and most teams do not have that low post guy, not to mention the new zone defenses limit that type of offense.

But Morey should know that, right?

RIGHT?

DD

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How can you blame the coach for the slump that players like Lee, Parsons and Patterson are in?

16. teebone21

teebone21 Member

coach has nothing to do with the current problem. he is trying to put out best offensive lineup but because our team is a bunch of role players, he has to give up some defense to do that. No bynum or dwight in the middle to backup luis and dalembert is a bonehead. Camby injured so patterson is next "bigman" on rotation.

17. CertifiedTroll

It seems pretty easy to do after a bad loss :p

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I wished McHale would just put all the bench players to start the 4th quarter instead of trying to use the same rotation this past 3 games at the end of 3rd quarter when they are getting blown apart. I've seen Popovich, sub all 5 starters at 1 time in a game because the starters were getting blown away. I see McHale fearing use Morris and Boykins, even Dalembert in critical stages, it will give them experience and more fresh legs.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree 100%

DD

20. gogigorangone

gogigorangone Member

Patterson should not play. Someone had to play for him. Patt is misses lot of shots when hes on. He misses and the other team doesn't :(