1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what's for lunch/new restaurant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pole, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

OK....I've never started one of these before, but I tried a new restaurant today (well--it's new to me), and I knew some people here would appreciate the review. The biggest problem for most of you will be location--it's located on Highway 3 between Bay Area Blvd. and Nasa Rd. 1.

One of my co-workers is from Jersey, and he's Yankee to the core. He told me about it, and he said this is the only place he's been able to find that had a sandwich like they make back home. The place is called Antonini's Subs, but the sign above it's strip center location simply says: Subs

I have to admit, it was a pretty darn good sandwich. I had the Italian sub, and I made the mistake of getting a large. I probably have one of the biggest appetites of anyone around (and it shows), and this thing was big to me. It had the usual: Ham, Salami, Cappicola, provolone, paper thin marinated onions, lettuce, tomato, pickle, and some relish made of pimentos and oregano with some oil and vinegar. The bread was really good, and it was a great big yummy wonderful messy sandwich. On the inside, it didn't look like a strip center sandwich shop......it had an old time neighborhood feel. The guy had a small radio in the corner, and I heard Jim Rome in the background. I guess there's a wait sometimes, so the guy had magazines at the counter--including Maxim and Playboy. Apparently he's a big golfer, and there was lots of Gulf stuff on the walls.

He wrapped the sandwich in butcher paper and the checkout guy pointed to a table with a roll of paper towels and told me to take all I need. I needed a bunch.

Supposedly he makes a mean Philly cheesesteak, and I saw they made burgers too. If you're looking for a good sandwich, I highly recommend them:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2639.asp

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm concerned about any sandwich shop that puts p*rn out on the tables. :D

like seinfeld at the dentist office.

3. Fatty FatBastard

Never been there. I'll try to get there, but it seems that everytime I'm in that area I'm always drawn to Tookie's.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Which strip center? The one closer to Bay Area or the one that is split, that is closer to Medical Center? Do they have lunch specials?

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I live right by that place. Sounds good, I guess I need to try it.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Ever since my family moved to Houston in the mid-60s, my Dad worked until he retired in the petrochemical industry in Deer Park and LaPorte. He first took me to Tookies when I was a teenager. Been back several times since. Whenever I mention Tookies to my Dad, he always gets all sentimental and misty-eyed, and then says "they make a damn fine burger". :D

7. Pole

It would be the one by the medical center.....I didn't see any lunch specials. If you saw the inside of this place, you'd understand why..........they have one of those grooved lighted boards where you slide the numbers and letters in place to make up your menu board.

I don't really consider Playboy p*rn (though I can't remember the last time I actually flipped through one--perhaps they've changed), but I did find it a bit odd to see that on the counter. It was burried beneath a pile of more conservative type mags though.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I know of a new restaurant that I am itching to try.

It's called London Sizzler Tandoori Bar & Grill. It is on the SW Frwy at Hillcroft. Supposed to be a British style Indian restaurant with pub brew and international sports on the TV. Apparently it has become quite the hangout for British ex-pats in Houston. I believe I will be checking this place out very soon, and I will report to the BBS when I do.

Has anybody been to this restaurant? Did you like it?

Reviews:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv3230.asp

Also, the Houston Press recently did a review on the place:

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2004-07-08/cafe.html

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

"I let the expletivies fly!"

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I live in Deer Park, so I'm out in the Clear Lake are quite often. I'll check it out next time.

Oh, and as for you guys talking about Tookie's. I love that place, they have great burgers. But I haven't been there in a couple years because I used to know a girl that worked there. She told me some stories about some pretty disturbing things that the cooks there would do, and it scared me away for awhile. I'm almost over it though, so I'm going to grab me a burger next time I'm in the area. My favorite is the one with refried beans, picante sauce, and crushed fritos. Yum!

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

maybe my favorite seinfeld line EVER. brilliant!!!

12. boomboom

Supporting Member

Speaking of burgers in Clear Lake...has anyone tried South Shore Beer Garden on 518?

13. MR. MEOWGI

Yeah, that place is funny. Carlos' Beer Gaden on Hwy 3 also has good burgers and fries.

Where is the best BBQ in the Clear Lake area? I need to find good, cheap chopped beef bbq sandwhiches.

14. Pole

Red River is usually my spot for lunch BBQ. Last time I went, I had a burger, and it was exceptional:

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2513.asp

Also, I finally made it out to Estaban's last week (I heard about it here--I'm pretty sure from Behad). It was also quite good--reminded me of Los Tios back in the 'ol day.

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2794.asp

I also had a good culinary experience this past Saturday. I finally made it to the Cajun Greek in Galveston. The shrimp Po-boy I had was the best one I've had this side of Mothers in the big easy.

15. boomboom

Supporting Member

My wife has me hooked on Ryan's BBQ. It is behind The Hop and Whataburger at the Highway 3 and Nasa Road 1 intersection. Good chopped beef sandwiches. They also have a lifesize poster of Yao Ming in there. My daughter screams out "Yao Ming" every time we go (she immediately recognizes Yao Ming from seeing him on TV and loves to hear Chance's "Yao Ming" song).

16. Fatty FatBastard

Jeez! We need to change the thread title to restaurants to go to if are living in the clear lake area.

17. MR. MEOWGI

That's where I currently go! The food is good, but if you want a sandwich you have to get a whole plate for around $7.00.