1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Beverley worth in free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 30, 2015.

?

Pat's salary next year will be....

1. $1 to $2.5M

34 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. $2.5M to $5M

164 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. $5M to $7M

87 vote(s)
    29.3%
  4. More than $7M

12 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I don't think he should get paid more than a doctor. Doctors save lives.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Maybe Harden didn't specify which guard position, but I think it's strongly implied what he's talking about. He's the Rockets 2-guard and he'll be playing 35-40 minutes a night at that position. So clearly he means we need help at PG.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Public education has failed Patrick Beverley if he has never even heard of numbers in the millions.

My guess is Harden is just thinking about needing someone else to create off the dribble in the perimeter. PG is probably the natural spot to look given the relative abundance of offensive talent there, but I doubt that this team cares about position much.

#103 Carl Herrera, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  4. basketballholic

2-12 with first year guaranteed and second season team option and non-guaranteed.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He's getting 5+million a year at least. Anything lower is low balling him.

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

Don't you think he is a primary ball handler and we don't need a skilled point-guard? I think skilled point-guard will ruin our offense and I don't think Harden would be happy because he loves ball in his hands.

The only thing he can't do is guard perimeter and fast guards who just blows by him. But he can guard most small-guards in the league and if we get any SG or PG who can guard 1-2 or even 3 positions I think Harden would be more than happy to choose most ineffective player and let Ariza and other guy guard better offensive players.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. he can't be your both pg/sg full time. harden and offense would excell if they got a legit starting pg. harden has turned into one of the premier scorers in this league. let him do what he does best which is score the basketball while easing the burden of having to create everything for this team. i see no reason why people don't think houston needs a pg. thats always been a need.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

disagree. thats too much for a player so limited as a pg

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

He scores exactly 0% of his points of catch&shoot and he always been like that - he needs a ball in his hands to score. Case closed.

10. basketballholic

I'm concerned that Bev may have crested. He was so slow defensively this year. I realize he was dinged and all. But I'm concerned about that. On top of that I watched Lowry be a junkyard dawg for us when he was young and playing off the bench, trying to make his way. Then as soon as he got his first nice contract, that junkyard dawg style eased up significantly. Lowry still brought it. But he wasn't the same floor burn guy after he got his contract. Started transitioning to a more offensive point guard.

If there's one thing we need consistently it's big time defense at the point. Gotta have an ace defender out top that can turn all these great point guards and water down their efficiency. Bev has got to continue to bring that or we can't keep him long-term. He's not a playmaker. Up until recently he's been an ace defender, an ace rebounder and a decently acceptable spot-up shooter.

I'm always looking for the next guy. I'm adding Aaron Craft back to my signature list for this summer. In my opinion, Craft is an even more ferocious on-ball defender than Beverley is. He's like a whole pack of bees when he gets on the ball. He's different than Beverley in that he really is a good playmaker but his spot-up shooting needs significant improvement. All the same, he's a dogged worker and his shot has already improved. He spent all season on the Warriors D-league team in Santa Cruz. I think he either won or was one of the top finishers for D-league defensive player of the year. He's a total defensive, floor-scraping dawg. I'm advocating signing him to a 2-year minimum salary deal before somebody else does. Then we've got some options to work with concerning Bev.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He'll get 15 for 3.

Some of you with your "2 million a season, no more" posts. Come on, now. Especially with the cap going up.

Not the brightest bulb, and limited, but the dude scraps. This team needs some fight.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol @ case closed. you seriously need to open your eyes and not be so closed minded

i guess you obviously can't understand how much easier things will be for harden and also the team in terms of opening up various opportunities for houston. I guess you're one of those that loves to see harden dribble the ball for 10-15 seconds and pass the ball off with a few seconds left.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

How anybody could watch this season and not see how desperately he needs someone to relieve the playmaking burden is truly mind-boggling to me.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There is the value he has if he is never hurt, which some GM might pay.

There is the value he has if he is hurt each and every season.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actual numbers:

In 2014-15, 51% of Harden's 3 pointers made were assisted, and 16.6% of his 2 pointers were assisted. So he apparently takes a decent number of catch-and-shoot jumpers-- particularly 3s.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hardeja01.html

In the past, he has scored a higher % of his points off assists, too. Last season, 58.8% of his 3s and 22.3% of his 2s were assisted. In his last season with OKC, when he won 6th Man of the Year, 86% of his 3s and 28% of his 2s were assisted.

The evidence is pretty clear that Harden can score off the ball if that is his role.