1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's been the biggest reason for Rockets surprising start?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 10, 2016.

?

What's biggest reason the Rockets are 16-7?

1. Pringles

8.7%
  2. No more Dwerp

14.1%
  3. Additions of Ryan/Eric/Nene

16.8%
  4. Improvement from role players - Bev/Dekker/Capela

9.4%
  5. Better team defense

0.7%
  6. No one single reason / all of these are big

50.3%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

QFT
    Great post.

2. Asian Sensation

NOT having JB as coach.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's a multitude of things, but the upgrade from JB to MDA is astronomic.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed and fixed

J Sizzle likes this.
  5. what

what Member

Team unity. The team is playing like a team, and when that happens you can play way above any one players individual talents. The grizz have done it for years, the rockets did it with Battier/Tmac and Yao.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's always everything when you make a good list like this, but I think Bev is the biggest on roster improvement. I'm loving the way he plays as much as I like his Frosh/Soph years with the team. He looks like he never got injured.

Houstunna, DonKnock and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

yup..him playing with the 2nd unit increases his value tremendously..EG is off the chain. He's playing like that 2nd star

DonKnock likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You consider hitting 4.8 3PTs per game over the last 9 games to be "off the chain"? Oh good, me too.

DonKnock and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Having Harden become officially the playmaker was also another big move for this team, since Harden has changed his mentality now to playing a more all-around game. His defense has improved noticeable, albeit still with some lapsse but not a liability like it was before.

In fact, one thing Harden has excelled at this season is finding the hot man, which I think is a very overlooked aspect of the D'Antoni offense. Whenever somebody makes a shot, especially a 3 point shot, Harden would look to get him the ball next possession. Beverley and Ariza were clear cases in point this game against Dallas. They both started off quiet, but when they hit a 3, Harden immediately looked for them again the next possession, which led to them going on a small 3 point shooting streak.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

My pet hate with dwert was he chased blocks overzealously and would miss most of them, leading to off. rebs and 2nd chance pts.

If I had a grievance with this current team it'd be ryno... We all knew he wouldn't be much of a defender and rebounder, but he's not scoring enough / making as many threes as I'd have thought, especially considering his preseason / early season form.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I couldn't vote on this since I don't consider the Rockets start surprising. I said from the start of the season that this team was a 55+ win team that would challenge for the 2nd seed going into the play-offs and the Southwest Division Crown. As long as Harden, Ryan and Gordon stay healthy I have no reason to doubt that.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, good on you for predicting this. I did not think this team would be this good - basically to me this was a best case scenario if the stars aligned and now that Dmo is on the verge of returning, so far they have aligned.