1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's actually Jeremy Lin's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Mar 2, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, the point I was trying to make using this thread is to point out that due to heavy concentration of capable PGs around the league, FA PGs available in the offseason, and Jeremy Lin's contract, that Jeremy Lin is simply unmovable.

I'm pretty sure most people didn't get it, so I'll just pretend I didn't even start it in the first place. But to answer your question, I thought Lowry would be a career backup. And I thought when we signed Lin that he could be a slightly better version of what Dragic gave us last year.

However, the key thing is that I'm generally quite off on my predictions of young players. So I usually don't include my own personal opinion to judge players potential.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

While I'd admit, one might need to know basketball fairly well to know the Heat's pg, the Lakers pg has won more mvp's than Kobe :p

3. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Rondo has an ego bigger than all Rox players combined.

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Right on.

5. ChippedToothLin

hmmm I like the sound of a first round pick. draft a pg with higher upside :cool:

6. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I don't want to trade Lin, but I'm curious about how his salary would work. For example, if we traded him at the trade deadline two years from now, would he become an 8M expiring contract or a 15M expiring contract? What if he were dealt in the summer of 2014? Would the team trading for him be getting a 10M contract? In any case, what are the salary parameters for his next contract? I have the exact same questions about Asik, of course.

7. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Your question about why would Morey trade away the considerable progress . . . is one that is asked about nearly every trade that Morey makes. A player that makes progress has more trade value allowing us to trade for a worse player who hasn't made any progress yet, but is on a minimum contract.

Actually, I have heard rather more than a peep about Steve Nash and Mario Chalmers!!

8. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Les (yeah, he owns/runs the team from the top) ain't trading' Lin anytime soon. Deal with it.

Time to start a new 'Trade Him' thread, though, to pass the time between games - that's where it's at. New angle, same subject.

'How can we get Morey to pull the trigger'. 'Campaign to trade JL'. 'Our best way to upgrade the PG position'. 'AB should start'. 'Is Harden a Point Forward?'. 'Call up Royce to replace JL'. 'Is Sura making a comeback?' 'Rafer to HOU?' 'Tmac available'. 'Iverson vs. Lin'. 'Eric Snow making a comeback'. 'Nash for Lin?'. 'Felton available'. Etc., ad infinitum.

:grin:

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Aren't we ranked 22nd in the league in defense? Has that changed?

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I see your point and I agree with you.

We all miss on predictions, I thought one time that Mo Taylor was going to be a good PF for us. I now think that Dmo has a chance to be a great PF, I sure hope that prediction turns out better than my Mo Taylor one.

11. Habs

Habs Member

It's interesting how the Rockets' owner is a huge Lin backer, but the fans of the Rockets aren't that high on him.

It was the opposite scenario in NYC.

Dolan wasn't too happy about Lin signing the poison pill contract and felt Lin owed him.

But the fans in NYC totally backed Lin during his run. They didn't want either of their 2 stars Carmelo or Amare to mess up or ruin Lin's run (Carmelo a much more accomplished player than Harden at this time). If Lin had a game where he struggled, it was because Melo was being selfish. I was reading the papers, and the NYC basketball forums, the few Lin haters would get flamed immediately and chased out.

They were ready to hand the keys to Lin. Spike Lee was going crazy, other NY athletes and celebs went to support him. They closed down restaurants for this dude.

In Houston, it's clear the fans embrace Harden. They treat Lin like any other PG, similar to Alston or Brooks. If you ask most fans they'd still rather have Lowry (who's done absolutely nothing to improve the Raptors). Sometimes you see Lin jerseys in the crowd. Parsons probably gets more attention among actual fans that go to games or season ticket holders.

In NYC, when Lin was a Knick, MSG was decked out in Lin tshirts, and his jerseys were flying off the shelves. I mean, they backed him 100%. ESPN NY Radio, people were freaking out when Dolan didn't sign him - I mean, ridiculous coverage and calls going in about it. Lin didn't even know they sold his jersey and people were dropping $ to customize them.

It really says a lot about the difference in vibe between 2 cities. I mean, the fan embrace is a huge contrast.

You could tell why Lin was so disappointed when Dolan made his decision.

12. Nook

Nook Member

John Wall has been a disappointment but Morey would deal Lin for him in a heart beat. The Rockets are desperate for high level talents and Wall fits the mold. Having said that Washington won't deal him for Lin because they have too much invested in Wall.

13. matthewrich

matthewrich Member

this is houston texas, what do you expect, man!?!

14. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Lots of kneejerking fans, over-reacting on everything.

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This is clearly a sample size error. Just look at how many three's he took his rookie year in comparison to the last two. Those stats are useless.

16. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Close.

Harden is a bonafide superstar. He rarely has an off game and when it happens it's bad news for the Rockets.

Here's the discrepancy: just because you and all your Lin fanboys love Jeremy more than the Rockets and whatever team he will ever play for, doesn't mean that he's some second class player. You can't play the "lin is a class act" card and act like petulant children when he's not the star. #7 hasn't done enough to be seen as more than just another guard; especially while wearing a Rockets' jersey.

I hope he does. I hope you'll avoid the Mchale excuses as a rebuttal. Jeremy's run in NY was great for the Knicks, you as his fans, and my fantasy team. If he's to be held as an elite Rocket he should earn it. Until then he's another member of the best team in the universe. Not a bad place to be.

17. timyeung

timyeung Member

Beverly is a much better player then Lin will ever be.

Please, please trade Lin back to the Knicks for Felton and Kidd.

Everyone wins. The Rocket fans get rid of Lin and LOFs.

Lin will be in a team where the fans love and support him.

18. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Steve does absolutely nothing for the Lakers which is perfect for harden, would not use the ball much and stand around and hand it off to harden. Let Lin do more elsewhere.

19. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

Melo and JR are still there. They don't support Lin.

20. Habs

Habs Member

Harden is no more a "bonafide star" at this point of his career than Melo is, or Amare was.

You missed the point entirely, and your post shows the exact discrepancy between Knicks fans and Rockets fans I was talking about. In Houston, if a fan supports Lin he's a "Lin fan boy." Whereas in NYC, if you didn't support Lin, you weren't a New York basketball fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLQ5xvo5xIg

Here, if you criticize Harden and write a positive line about Lin, the backlash is ridiculous. On NYC forums, everyone was going "I hope Melo doesn't mess with Lin's rhythm."

Anyone who read the NYTimes, NY Daily News, and followed Knicks forums saw this. ****, you didn't have to, turning on NY Radio the sports hosts backed Lin like he was NYC's golden child. It's the opposite in Houston - it's sad.

Your post was the perfect example of it.

Frankly, the Owner here disagrees with the fan. But it'll be interesting to see how this plays out in Lin's mind 3 years from now (because Les isn't trading him until his last year).