1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whatever happened to Jimmer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, I went to the Knicks-Kings game last night and saw several Kings fans in Jimmer jerseys. Jimmer was rather ineffective coming off the bench. I can't help but think that Jeremy Lin is living the life that Jimmer should be living== that Floyd Mayweather tweet should have been about Jimmer, and wasn't Jimmer the Hoops Tim Tebow at draft time?

I remember there were Mike Bibby and Steph Curry comparisons (along with the more modest and negative ones), but he's no where close to fulfilling the hopes and expectations so far.

http://wwww.draftexpress.com/profile/Jimmer-Fredette-5810/

What happened to him?

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think he'd be a good complementary player, but he's stuck on the Sacramento ballhogs.

Also, he was drafted way too high and by the wrong team.

3. VanityHalfBlack

I was thinking the same thing, lol... Jimmer is suppose to be The Jeremy Lin of the NBA, they both pale as hell though...

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I'm pretty sure a lot people didn't expect his game to translate well from college to the NBA. So far he is just proving them right.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They are running a ridiculous rotation, they have way too many high potential players in that team with no room to grow.

That team has a 13-14 man rotation, and the guy they should be playing more (Chuck Hayes), is getting less and less minute by the game.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

He went missing. Got caught up in the hype machine. :p

7. Carl Herrera

Maybe Keith Smart is to blame? Guess who else wasn't good playing for Smart last year.

Yes, Jeremy Lin.

BTW, the Jimmer/Jeremy situation can easily turn into one of these situations

[​IMG]

#7 Carl Herrera, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I saw him play a couple of times, he's actually pretty terrible for the hype he was getting. He seemed to be playing at a really low speed, not quick enough to penetrate, not enough confidence to make those difficult jumpers he did in college.

And teams can neutralize him really easily by a simple double team trap.

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Well those Mike Bibby comparisons aren't necessarily inaccurate....

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

JJ Reddick is the best comparison if you ask me.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's a matter of several factors. He's obviously not an ideal NBA player, so he'll need to find the right system and complement of players in order to thrive. He certainly doesn't have that in Sacramento, playing with blackholes like Evans, Cousins, Salmons, Thornton, Green, et al. Jimmer is used to playing a lot of minutes, choosing his spots as he sees fit, and shooting the ball off his own dribble.

There's also the fact that the Kings are terrible and have already gone through a coaching change, so their rotation is in constantly flux. Basically, he's been thrown into just about the worst possible situation as a rookie.

However, I won't sit here and tell you that it's about everything but Jimmer himself. There have been far too many nights where he's flat out been unable to hit the broad side of a barn. But, in the three games where he got at least 30 minutes of burn, he has averaged 17.7 points on 41% shooting (not great, but consider he also averaged 3.7 threes per game on 58%).

I still believe he'll carve out a career as a scoring punch off the bench at some point, but it's looking like that will be nearly impossible in Sacramento.

#11 ClutchCityReturns, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Jimmer's name is clearly too long.

Needs to be shortened to "Jim"

= success.

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah, you have a point. But not only double teams, I've seen him get shut down by a high hedges on pick and rolls.

The thing about Jimmer is he needs the ball in his hands to create, but with people like Tyreke on the team, he doesn't get as many opportunities. I personally don't think he's quick or athletic enough to play his college style basketball in the NBA. He needs to adjust his game so he's more like JJ Reddick.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I had actually gone back to edit that first line out of my post because, as I thought about it, I realized what you meant. From what I've seen, Jimmer has dribbled into a lot of bad situations as opposed to the defense actually sending that extra man.

15. Carl Herrera

Wrong, he needs to lengthen his name to "Jimmermy."

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

His game is too reliant on his jumper. From the limited games I've seen..it's all he shoots.

17. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

He's struggling because he's stuck between wanting to be a "point guard" and a score first guard. His defense is an obvious factor. He must get better defending his man. I think he was never taught how to actually play it because he just has really bad body positioning so hopefully the coaching staff takes care of that. Though, it doesn't help he gets inconsistent minutes and he's probably on the worst possible team for his skill set. The majority of Sacramento's players are very selfish. Shockingly, Jimmer is probably the least selfish and actually tries to play team ball. Plus, with Tyreke and Thornton playing major guard minutes, it's just not a good fit for him. I still don't understand why they drafted Jimmer AND resigned Marcus Thornton to that large contract. I thought it was one or the other. I really think he'll turn it around, though. It's still very early in his rookie season which he didn't get a full training camp and has already gone through a coaching change. We'll see, though.

18. sinobball

sinobball Member

Yesterday the announcers talked about his position, he wants to play 1 but is really a 2.

19. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

uh what? he's a pure point guard, a facilitator first

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

are you serious have you actually watched him play.

Dude is a chucker, always has been. He's a shooting guard in the body of an undersized point guard, with little ability to put the ball on the floor.

He struggles to get his shot off and can't really do anything else. He might hang around the league because he can shoot, although he's more of a volume shooter