1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What year is this?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mrs. JB, May 1, 2003.

1. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

I guess I'm just a sheltered, big-city gal -- I didn't realize stuff like this was still going on:

Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party

By ELLIOTT MINOR, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, Ga. - A year after holding their first integrated prom, some students at Taylor County High School have decided to again hold a separate, private party for whites only.

While many whites say they still plan to attend next week's integrated prom, the decision to hold the whites-only prom this Friday saddened senior Gerica McCrary, who helped organize last year's dance.

"I cried," said McCrary, who is black. "The black juniors said, 'Our prom is open to everyone. If you want to come, come.'"

Juniors are in charge of planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance — the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

This year, a small number of white juniors decided they wanted a separate prom.

"They influenced the others," said McCrary, who plans to major in biology at Columbus State University. "They didn't vote on anything. They said, 'This is what we're going to do.'"

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University.

The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

Posey plans to attend both proms.

"I had some white friends who were not going to the other (inclusive) prom," she said. "I wanted to have time with everybody. I'll have a lot of (black) friends there, too. A lot more of the seniors are going to be at the mixed one."

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South, but Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, was in the first class to have separate black and white proms. Now her 16-year-old son, Gerard, is preparing for prom night.

As the black junior class president, her son helped organize the open-to-all prom. The class also has a white president.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Latimore, an outfielder on the school's baseball team. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Glenda Latimore said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom. She said residents here are "nice and friendly," but they still have a problem with proms.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she said. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"

2. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

In other news, several witches were found guilty of, well, being very naughty witches earlier today when their bodies did indeed rise after having been sunk in a pool of water. No fear, though, dear citizens; these heretical hellcats were immediately immolated.

On a much brighter note, several of our countries most upstanding young women were cleared of the charge of withcraft today without any reservation, as their drunk corpses remained below the water's surfacewhere they must have been relieved that they were indeed good and properly drowned like true Christians.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Remember the titans

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whitey will pay.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

that's not illegal?

Edit: nevermind, read it more carefully and saw the school has nothing to do with it, just some students whose parents are probably KKK members.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This word might be offensive.

How r****dED is that?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WTF?

This crap still happens, disgraceful.....

DD

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what's more surprising than them wanting separate proms is the fact that LAST YEAR was the first time they ever had an integrated prom. what the friggin hell. i thought maybe there were very few blacks and that's why they could do it but the school is freakin half and half. weird ****.

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I wish people that thought like that would wear a tag...so they could be treated appropriately.

Unfortunately, the closest they will come, is to wear a hood.

12. Timing

Timing Member

One class, two presidents? Wow...

13. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well, actually, this is old news. It happened last year as well.

BUT

...now everyone can see that Alabama isn't that racist anymore. It's just, umm, "selective". Yeah.

Actually, it's really not bad at all.

And Georgia SUCKS. (excluding Atlanta and Savannah).

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What year is this?
    A rather poor one, overall.

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They should put a fence around the whole place. Two generations of mixed breeding should do the trick.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Holy ****.

I cant believe crap like this is still going on. Its almost funny, but not really.

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Believe me when I say I aint tryin to joke about this kinda ****...but pasox's idea brings to mind a quote I really enjoyed from a movie..

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

this is the same state that has wasted so much time and resources dealing with their state flag...

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is so dumb...unbelievable.

"i'm sorry, jimmy...we can't be friends...i have a different level of melanin in my skin...certainly you can understand that, right?" idiotic.

20. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I were a white student at the school, I would try to organize a separate white group that pledged to attend the interracial dance only. The best way to discourage this kind of bigotry is to show your disdain.

BTW, did I also understand correctly that the school has both a white and black president? That's probably part of the problem.