1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you propose as the best best college football system?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by wizkid83, Oct 15, 2007.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Almost all BCS ranking threads derail into complaints dealing with: destruction of the BCS and adding a playoff format. However, if the system is to change, what would be your ideal system? For something to replace the BCS, it would have to be:

Fair - Balancing being in a better conference/having a tough non-conference schedule while allowing the little guys a shot

Not Decrease the TV revenue from all the bowl games - because BCS will not go away if the post season aren't as big of a draw collectively TV - wise

Give nods to conference champs - conference champs needs to have some benefits

Still create controversey/drama - because it makes for good television, ESPN needs this

My system
    -----------------------------------------------
    Slightly different one from what I posted in the BCS thread but it goes something like this:

6 conference champs with automatic selection into the playoffs

Winner of 2 at large teams vs. 2 champs of non auto-matic conferences get the nod

The 6 conferences with automatic bids (and byes) are decided by number post season points from the season before. Post season points are awarded based number of teams in the playoffs (20 point each) or bowl victories. Bowls will be split into 3 tiers awarding 20 points (Rose), 10 points(Alamo), 5 points (Las Vegas). Also some potential points for losing.

Heres why this will work.

It rewards the strong conferences who should have more bowl wins and playoff teams, having a better shot at getting the automatic championship bid.

Conference champs with automatic bids get by, and from conferences without auto bid get a shot.

Traditionally strong programs would be more willing to play a tougher non conference schedule as they can lose and still get into the playoffs. At same time, if they might also need some resume builder if they're on the bubble as a non-conference champ.

It gives the weaker conferences a shot at the title (or even an automatic bid if there are enough strong programs), at the same time also force them to play some tougher non-conference opponents (only 2 of the non automatic conference champs can make the at large)

Actually helps TV revenue when all of a Big 12 (including longhorns) might end up tunning into and rooting for A&M in the Alamo bowl againt Cal (rooted on by all of Pac 10) to get more postseason points. It's disgusting but it'll help the ratings.

Create some controversy from drama, who will be on the bubble, what would happen if rutger loses next weak and Big East loses the automatic bid spot to conference USA? etc.

Punishes Notrem Dame (it's time to join a conference, or you can play a extra game every year or have your bowl game be meaningless)

This is as good of a college football post season system I can think of though I'm interested in some other ones.

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I have always thought that a 16 team tournament would be good.

1. There would be 16 conferences. Notre Dame would have to man up and join one.

2. It has always seemed odd to have at large bids in football. If you aren't the best team in your conference, you aren't the best team in the country.

3. This would allow the bowls to have compelling matchups of non conference champion teams. (perhaps Cal vs. Oklahoma).

The bowls would continue to bring in money and the tournament would be a TV draw (because championship tournaments always are.

The tournament would consist of 3 rounds and the title game. That is 4 rounds...4 weeks. It could all be done between semesters.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The problem with giving every conference champion a bid is that it rewards decent teams that play in mediocre conferences. You leave out multiple teams from the SEC that would be better than the champion of the Sun Belt, WAC, CUSA, etc. Even limiting it to champs from BCS conferences is problematic for the same reason.

I might be in favor of keeping the BCS computer rankings in order to determine the top 12 or 16 teams regardless of conference and having a 4 week playoff supplemented by bowls. It'd be like the NCAA Tourney (playoff) and the NIT (bowls).

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

the same thing happens in march madness. tons of league winners who get in, when bubble teams, who are much better, dont. doesnt seem to be hurting ratings or revenue at all

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Actually, there's really no need to complicate it. You simply follow the model of DI-AA.

Here's how they do it:
    16 Teams
    8 Automatic Qualifiers from selected conferences (probably 6 for DI)

At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I-AA football committee, assisted by four regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
    1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket;
    2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
    3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;
    4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents; and
    5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

In other words, use a committee for the remain 10 at large slots, kind of like they do for the basketball tourney.

All pairings will be made by the Division I-AA football committee. The following principles are applied when pairing teams:

1. The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity;
    2. The remaining teams will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the four pairings previously placed in the bracket.
    3. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games;
    4. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

What about the bowl games (and their big name sponsors)? Playoffs worked in Basketball because you have 65 teams that are able to play within 4 weeks and the whole event became a big deal. Plenty of teams get a shot of the pie. College football can't allow only 8 or 16 of it's teams getting all of the post season action ($), it also can't allow it's bowl games to go the way of NIT. I don't know why, but for me the importance of bowl games seems higher when it's the champioship bowl game and other bowl games rather than playoffs and bowl games.

It might psychologically be that when the BCS championship is only between the two teams, Bowl game are between teams that didn't win enough. But when you have a playoffs, the bowl games participants are teams that lost too much.

Yeah, but the Non-Conference champions that deserves to get in still do. You don't have 100% of the field make up of conference champions. A lot of Non conference champs still get in, wont happened in a 16 team conference champ system.

#6 wizkid83, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But that's with 63 teams. A tournament where LSU (hypothetically) sits at home, after going undefeated in the regular season only to lose in the SEC championship game, while someone like New Mexico State got in would be an even bigger joke.

Without giving it too much thought, I'd give eight automatic bids and eight at-large bids. I'd even be OK with using the current BCS calculations to pick the eight teams. Use the existing bowls as game locations so the traditions of the Independence Bowl or the Liberty Bowl could be maintained (sarcasm). It would take four weekends and would easily be the most popular sporting event in the nation. It would rival the Super Bowl, IMO.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hi, the bowl games went the way of the NIT a long time ago. I think you'd have to work out where you gave a share to the schools and the conferences, which is how the bowl games work now, IIRC.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just do it like the I-AA schools do it. 16 berths. Include all conference winners and the rest as at-large berths.

If LSU runs the table, yet loses in the SEC championship game, they would most likely get an at-large berth.

Even if you're "on the bubble" you still have a better chance of winning the NC than you do under the current system. Plus, if you're "on the bubble" do you really deserve to get in anyway? Do what you have to do (ie. WIN) to stay OFF the bubble. Problem solved.

To the people who think some conference winners don't deserve to get in the playoff system, that's a good point. But, over time, when EVERY conference theoretically has a chance to win a NC, all the blue-chip players will start signing with those schools and, eventually, all the conferences will start to even out.

I'm a big fan of I-AA football and there is very rarely a "controversy" when a team doesn't make it in. If you deserve to get in, you almost always DO get in.

Just my opinion...

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree. Automatic bids for like 6-8 conferences and then use BCS rankings or whatever else to fill out the bracket. Set it up in regionals where the bowls are used to host the games, basically all "neutral" fields. Rotating NC bowl each year like now.

Last year it could have played out like this

Automatics:
    Big 10 Champ: Ohio State
    SEC Champ: Florida
    PAC 10 Champ: USC
    Big East Champ: Louisville
    ACC Champ: Wake Forest
    Big 12 Champ: Oklahoma
    Mountain West: BYU
    C-USA: U of H

At large: Michigan
    2: LSU
    3: Wisconsin
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Boise State
    6. Auburn
    7. West Virginia
    8. Arkansas

You then break it up into regionals.

Are there teams who could say they deserved a shot more than say U of H or Byu? Sure there are. But the 15th ranked team in the country complaining carries a lot less weight than the 3rd ranked team complaining.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

anyone that doesnt suggest a system that provides equal access to non-BCS conferences to the tournament/title game is completely missing the point about what is wrong with the current system

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Care to make a suggestion yourself? It is very easy to say you want a system that proves equal access to everyone, but when there are 100+ teams and only 1 title game...it is much easier said than done.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I disagree. The main point about what's wrong with the current system isn't equal access for every non-BCS conference, it's the fact there is no playoff at all.

I'm willing to compromise some and say there should be 8 teams chosen for a playoff. The 6 BCS conference champs plus two invitees. This way, you can still fit the playoff games around the current BCS bowl system and keep some people happy. New Years Day, have 4 big bowl games; then a week later 2; then the championship a week after that.

The controversy would involve who the two invitees are. If non-BCS conferences or independents want their teams to have a shot at being invited, they must play and beat some BCS schools along the way or they don't deserve an invite.

A 16 team playoff may be too radical a step at first. Starting off with 8 would at least be a huge step in the right direction. Once everyone got comfortable with a playoff, it could be tweaked to add another round. Personally, I think 8 is enough (no pun intended).

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Problem with this theory is that many "BSC" schools would be afraid to put the up and coming "non-BCS" schools on their schedules. Not to mention that most schools make their schedules 5 or 6 years in advance which would make it almost impossible to know how to pick and choose.

If all conference winners get an invite, over time, more good HS players would be spread around to all the conferences/schools instead of the just perineal Top 20 schools getting first dibs every year and the "non BCS" schools having to choose from their left-overs. I still maintain that this would even out the conferences making the "stronger conference vs. weaker conference" arument a moot point.

Not to start an argument, but who is to say Vince Young doesn't decide to stay at home to play at UH if, theoretically, they CAN win a NC.

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

First I would get rid of conference championships. Then I would put in place a system similar to the NFL. 12 team playoff race with the top 4 teams getting a buy. Sixteen is too much. Top four team in the country accoriding to the BCS ranking would get a buy.

Winners of the Big 12, Big 10, Acc, Pac 10, SEC, Big East get Automatic births. Top two teams from non-BCS conferences get automatic births plus 4 at large bids from any conference get in.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well I had a post up and it disappeared on me. I hate it when that **** happens.

Anyway, I would do a playoff system of the top 12 teams with the top 4 getting byes. Notre Dame would have to be in a conference if they want to be eligible for this tournament. All teams' regular seasons would have to be over by the end of November - no more of this regular season extending into December. Also, either every conference has a championship game or no conference has one. It is stupid that the SEC and Big 12 have conference championship games but the Pac 10 and the Big 10 (really the Big 11) don't.

Until you get down to the final 4, the team with the higher ranking (which in this case would mean the team that has the lowest number, i.e. the #1 team has the higher ranking compared to the #2 team) would have the homefield advantage. Once you get to the final 4, certain select bowls would host. So, one year you could have the 2 semifinals be played in the Sugar Bowl and the Rose Bowl and then the NCS game could be played in the Fiesta Bowl. To me, those are the ONLY 3 bowls that would get this exclusive privilege and they would rotate every year on which one would get the final game.

Teams that do not make the playoffs can still go to bowls but they would be minor bowls like the Liberty Bowl or the Music City Bowl, etc.

And my system would not have a poll until the 2nd week of October. My poll would be similar to the BCS in at least how it is composed. The components would be average ranking in the AP Poll and Coaches Poll, strength of schedule, and average ranking in the computers. My system's biggest flaw is that it still uses the rankings (BCS) to determine who gets in as well as there are no automatic berths - either get ranked in the top 12 or miss the tourney, but at least my format has the teams matched up in a tourney style and they decide the champion on the field.

17. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If they want to keep the bowls in place/many regular season elimination games than it's a final four

If you want to be fair, add 1 team to make it 120 NCAA D-1 teams have ten, twelve team conference's all with two divisions and a title game.

that means 12 get in by winning conference.

then you have two at large teams that get in to make it 14, the top two national seeds (what would of in the past been the national title game) get a first round bye while we get six winners from the first round games.

Then you have eight and from there you get a final four than a real national title game.

The pluses, everyone can go into the season with a shot at winning the national title.

There are still two at-large teams for one of the big boys who does not win their conf.

The top two national seeds get a bye so when they join the tourny it's only 8 teams and not 16 like others have mentioned

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I like the system that has everyone talking about college football in september, kind of like now.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

best one yet.

20. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

This would never happen, but a system that would keep the meaningful nature of the regular season while still ensuring a quality champion would be to follow the European model.

You would have one or two "Top Flight" divisions comprised of around 15 teams. Every team would play every other team in the division once (14 games). If you still wanted playoffs you could do that with either the one or two top flight format but the playoffs would have to be a 6 or 8 team type tournament.

What about the other 90+ teams? You would have them form similar non-top flight divisions. You would have two lower flight divisions for every division above it. For example:

1 Top Flight Division : 2 Second Tier Divisions : 4 Third Tier Divisions, etc.
    2 Top Flight Divisions: 4 Second Tier Divisions : 8 Third Tier Divisions, etc.

While the top teams would be battling for the playoffs, the lower teams would still have something to play for. The 4 lowest ranking teams in each division would be "relegated" to the lower division, while the top 2 teams from each lower division would be "promoted" to the division directly above it. Another option would be to have the "promoted" teams play a game vs the corresponding "relegated" teams to determine who gets the spot in the higher division.

This system would make every regular season game meaningful (as right now) but also include the playoff structure that many seem to be clamoring for. It also has the added benefit of allowing any team to work its way to the top flight regardless of where they start out. As it is right now, 95% of the teams have no chance of even playing for the championship, much less winning it.

The cons of this system would of course be that many of the rivalry games don't get played every year. However, it would make those games even more meaningful than they are right now. For fun, here's what the system would have looked like this year (the one top flight division format) using the end of the year BCS rankings from last year to determine who would have been in which flight (there would probably be a different method of determining divisions for the first year, of course).

Top Flight - Championship Division
    1. Florida
    2. Ohio State
    3. LSU
    4. USC
    5. Boise State
    6. Louisville
    7. Wisconsin
    8. Michigan
    9. Auburn
    10. West Virginia
    11. Oklahoma
    12. Rutgers
    13. Texas
    14. California
    15. Arkansas

Each of those teams would play one game against each other like the current divisions. The BCS rankings only go to 25 so there's no way to know who all would comprise the lower divisions but you'd have 30 teams in Division 2, 60 in Division 3 and all others in Division 4. Since each team would be playing against teams within its skill range so the prospect of moving up each season would be within reach for every team. The top flight games would be among the top teams in the nation so each game would be a top draw.

Again, this has no chance of happening but I think it's a better way of determining the champion than the system that is in place now. It's a pipe dream, I know.