1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jan 6, 2016.

?

What would you do?

1. Trade Dwight

20.5%
  2. Trade James

14.6%
  3. Keep both guys and try to acquire a great two-way player

43.7%
  4. Keep both guys and simply recycle the role players

21.2%
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

25 ppg, 11 rpg, 2.6 apg, 1.4 bpg, 1.3 spg.

Sure, he turns the ball over too much, and he's a bit of a headcase, and his shooting percentage could come up a bit; but he certainly doesn't suck.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

the same cousin's who yet to sniff the post season. yeah that's such a legitimate star in the league

3. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

IF this is in Harden's mind then he is an idiot. VERY few players can do it alone. Hell Dream basically did it alone in 94, but needed Drex in 95. Jordan had Pippen who was a 7 time all star. Lebron isn't alone. Irving is what? a three time all-star? Kobe had Pau and Shaq all stars. So if Harden actually thinks he can do it alone. He's flat an idiot.

4. dmorey

dmorey Member

blow it up
    tank

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't say he sucked but he's no legitimate star in my eyes. People can be impressed with numbers all they want but if years go by and it doesn't translate towards team success, that says alot about that player.

6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Blaming one player for a franchise not making the playoffs is well... not very bright of you. You should know better.

Kevin Love never made the playoffs and somehow his new team makes the Finals immediately?

Doesn't look like Anthony Davis' team will make the playoffs this year. Guess he's a scrub now :rolleyes:

7. Drogba

Drogba Member

Harden & Boogie would be an incredible duo.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Horrible example with Kevin Love. They made the finals without him so what does that say about that team.

Anthony Davis took his team to the playoffs last year so obviously he's shown he can make a team better.

Don't label someone a legitimate star if they're only capable of putting up individual numbers that haven't translated to success. legitimate stars in the league have the resume to back it up. Cousins does not. That's what separates who truly are the best in the league.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much agree with Nook here.

Not sure much can be done this season but Morey can get a jump start on the offseason with some key trades to set up next year.

Keep Harden and Howard and fine tune the role players.

And yeah, get a top flight coach like Thibs. In addition to "coaching," don't forget that a stable coach is CRITICAL for FREE AGENT recruiting. That stability is important.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'll quit posting if you do. No questions asked. No new moniker's running out the same gambit.

11. basketballholic

Hit your ignore button and keep posting mate. Just make it about the Rockets from now on.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Oh i generally do, other than when a poster dominates the board and makes the ignore function impossible because they want all the attention on themselves and their fundamentally flawed ideas.

and for the measure of the thread - nook answered it pragmatically and correctly. But I don't think we needed a thread and poll for that in the first place.

13. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

How big of a trade asset is Howard, really? He's an unrestricted free agent. What team wants to trade good assets for a rent-a-player?

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The current situation is like this : your wife left you and took most of your saving with her, the house you are living in right now is on fire and will be completely gone soon, you are working for an oil company and you already heard you are on the list of being lay off.

So you are sitting in front of your house now, watching it getting burn down slowly, and sipping a glass of lemonade, saying to yourself :

"hey you know what, this is not the end of the world, my neighbor could hit the lotto jackpot tonight and they have a beautiful daughter whom I think may have a crush on me because she smiled at me twice last year when I tried to help her to fix a flat tire."

So there you go.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The option of : Keep both guys and try to acquire a great two-way player,

is just a joke.

Which player in this team right now has a trade value that can achieve that?

Maybe Capela? Look, if he is really that great, he should contribute more than his current performance now. Granted he is still young and learning, but name a team with a "great 2-way player" will make this kind of trade?

The rest of the current roster? Its just a joke.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If I can get any sort of decent return... I'm trading James...

The dude has shown he is not devoted to the game - hell, the dude can't even stay in shape!

Talent with no drive and desire leads to nothing but frustration... and I'm not into coddling multimillionaires hoping they decide to put forth effort - pass on that noise!

Give me a couple good young prospects and a couple picks and I'll help James pack his bags!

I'll admit it - harden fooled me... I thought the dude had heart and wanted to be great and try to win championships.... I was wrong....

Fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me!

17. basketballholic

We don't need any of this actually. This is about what we like. So, it doesn't matter whether you think we need a poll or not. Not to mention you don't get to make the calls on that anyways.

The reason why I put up this simple poll (not that I owe you any explanation because I don't) is because several days ago (not yesterday) I put up a poll asking the members who was responsible for this season's debacle between Harden and Howard. The reason I started that poll was because I was reading mounds of posts bashing Howard, saying he was done, he wasn't a superstar anymore, and we needed to trade him. Unlike you, I don't track individual posters to see if it's one or two posters posting the same anti-Dwight rhetoric. So, after seeing mounds of posts for days about how bad Dwight was and how bad James was I decided to put up a poll to measure the sentiment of the board members and find out who the majority of us really thought was primarily for our on-court failures between James and Dwight.

As you should know from that poll, the results were overwhelming that James was primarily responsible. In fact, there was something like only 4 votes for Dwight, while around 60% of the poll went to James by a mile and another 20% went to James but it's close.

Since that poll I've continued to notice a large number of posts wanting us to trade either Dwight or James. Didn't really read any about us trading both guys and starting over. But did read an awful lot of posts about us trading one or the other player and re-tooling or re-building. So, I thought I'd see if that sentiment was really real or not or whether it was just posters blowing off steam and I wanted to see if the sentiment would mirror the blame poll I put up earlier or whether this poll would reflect more of a frustration/hopelessness with the Harden/Howard combo and the realization that although this season was primarily Harden's fault that they still felt we had to trade Howard and build around Harden, or add to the Harden/Howard base.

As I thought would probably be the case, almost 2/3's of the members here believe we should keep both guys as opposed to trading one or the other of them away.

(If you want to discuss things we don't need here, I would think bringing up trading away Harden should be at the top of your list. If there is something that should be pointed out is faulty, illogical, and just plain r****ded it is proposing trading Harden for Butler, George, or any other superstar or draft picks or role players. It's simply not possible, isn't going to happen, is a waste of bandwidth, and clutters up the board with trash. Why don't you go to work on that one if you want to improve the board?)

Our team is at a critical juncture here and I think it makes a lot of sense to discuss the path forward from here. That's where my focus is and it's what motivated me to put up the two polls.

It's simply not realistic to trade either of these guys. We aren't going to find a better rim protector/rebounder than Dwight this season. Matter of fact, we aren't going to be able to even acquire a rim protector/rebounder as good as Dwight this season.

Same thing with James. We aren't going to be able to find a better single offensive juggernaut than James this season. There may not be a better single offensive juggernaut than James on the globe. And at worst he's top 5 in offensive proficiency (scoring/creating with efficiency).

So the focus should be on things like:

1. What can be done to make these guys play better defense? (coaching, scheme, personnel other than H&H).

2. What are our real weaknesses that we need to improve upon to turn this season around and give us the opportunity to become contenders now? (defense, defensive rebounding, turnover differential)

3. What changes do we need to make with personnel/coaching that will position us best, not only to make a run this post season, but to be able to build out this team even better this summer for next season?

But this is an open board and everybody that becomes a member here can post. So, we're still going to see a myriad of posts about trading Harden and Howard. But at least we'll know from this unscientific poll that the overwhelming majority of us do not favor trading either player.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You do understand that DHo would be a hot commodity if 'allowed to go into' FA, yes?

You do understand that if DHo is traded it will be in conjunction with him and his representative(s), yes?

You do understand that if DHo is traded it will be in conjunction with him and his representative(s) agreeing to a long term contract (verbal and wink-wink, of course) with the new team (Heat/Cavs/Knicks/maybe Bulls - - I don't believe there is a 4th possibility), yes?

And the return? It would be nice. Bank on it. DHo will be banking heartily over the ensuing four years.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe.

But you should also look to the Team Dysfunction there in Sacramento. Coaching carousel. Latest coach hated Cousins before even arriving in Sacramento and vice versa. No one wants to play there. GM is a rookie with his head up his ass who couldn't even spell "analytics" let alone explain that the real reason he dismisses it out of hand it is because he doesn't actually understand it.

I'm not saying Cousins is the end-all, be-all. His volatility is an obvious problem. But I'd say he's a star buried on a joke of a team.

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

He has a player option so he could theoretically stay another year. A team in desperate in need of a rim protector would be interested.