1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do if you were the New Orleans GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 25, 2010.

?

Which trade would you want for Paul and Okafor if you were GM?

1. Orlando: Vince Carter, Marcin Gortat, Jameer Nelson and a 2011 first round pick

15 vote(s)
    14.0%
  2. New York: W. Chandler, E. Curry, D. Gallinari, A. Randolph, R. Turiaf and a 2011 1st round pick

11 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Dallas: Caron Butler, Rodrigue Beaubois, Tyson Chandler and a 2011 first round pick

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Portland: G. Oden, N. Batum, M. Camby, R. Fernandez, D. Cunningham and a 2011 first round pick

28 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Houston: A. Brooks, D. Andersen, J. Hill, J. Jeffries, S. Battier and two 1st round picks

50 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Htown's2kFinest

if the new york or portland offers were real, that would be hard to pass up.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree.

I picked the Rockets but Portland or even New York could be considered better considering who is evaluating the trade.

Portland: CP3, Roy, Aldridge, Okafor, Luke Babbitt should make a hell of a contender.

3. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

Crash,
    I am pretty sure that NY is not able to trade their 2011 1st round pick as they have already traded their 2012 to us. NBA rules state that no team may trade their 1st rounder picks current or future in consecutive years. Thus, NY would not be able to offer a 1st rounder for 2011, 2012 or 2013. 2014 is a possibility though.

ROCKET!!!

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This is correct. Unless NY first acquires an additional first round pick in one of those years.

5. crash5179

I forgot that Utah had their pick this year. You are right.

6. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

The Utah pick doesn't matter. The problem is the 2012 pick which they already traded to Houston.

7. crash5179

Your right

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Correct. The pick owed to Utah was the reason that, back in February--BEFORE that Utah pick was actually used--the Knicks could only convey to the Rockets the right to SWAP picks in 2011. However, now that the 2010 draft has passed, it is irrelevant to future picks. The Knicks currently have a pick in 2011 and 2013. However, they have no pick in 2012. They cannot be without a first round pick in two consecutive FUTURE drafts. Of course, the Knicks could still convey the right to swap picks in 2011 (the lower of theirs or the Rockets) with the Hornets. But that would not be very enticing for the Hornets. They could also offer the right to swap picks in 2013. But is that much of an enticement, either?

The Knicks basically have Anthony Randolph, Danilo Gallinari and not much else in the way of attractive trade assets.

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Maybe it's because I'm biased, I like the Rockets package best. The fact that the Hornets have to move Paul is upsetting. I realize that Paul initiated trade talks, but he wants to get traded because the Hornets management has shown zero interest in improving the talent around him. It's not that they've brought in people and they haven't worked out. They just haven't brought anyone in.

Two years ago, the Hornets were an up and coming team with West and Paul as cornerstones, a defensive stopper in Chandler, and solid role players like James Posey. Now, they are selling off everything they can and trying to save money.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

Rockets would be giving up to much.

11. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I just don't see it. Randolph and Gallinari are decent pieces, but you can't build a team around either of them, and neither will sell tickets. Also that draft pick won't be that good, since it will the worse of the Knicks/Rockets pick.

With Portland, the offer has some decent talent, but in way has Batum, Oden or Fernandez shown they can be consistent starters, much less stars. Then again, those draft picks will be low, so not very valuable. Lastly, none of them will sell any tickets.

12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Honestly, if I was the Hornets GM, I wouldn't trade him. If Paul throws a tantrum, tell him to shut up, get out there on the court, and maybe we'll trade if we get an absolutely amazing offer. Until then? You have 2 years left on your contract, so quit your whining. At that point, he gets out there and competes, or pulls a Vince. And frankly if the Hornets management did that and Paul did pull a Vince, I wouldn't take him for just Brooks.

13. Houston_Rockets

Why so many people voting for the Portland offer???

Did ya´ll look to Camby contract???

They want to dump Okafor´s, and you want them to take a 2 year 18M for a worst player then Okafor, that is a C but can play the PF, but that won´t start in NO if West and Oden are healthy, because they can be the future of the franchise, not a 36 year old Camby, can someone explain were is the cool part of having Camby???

Greg Olden??? Great talent, can he stay on the court???

That draft pick, is almost worthless, why??? Because if that trade happens, Portland will be a top 5 team at least form now on, so any of our NYK are more valuable, because there is no way, that the Knicks are a top 10 team in this league in the next 2 years

The other players, and contracts??? They are great

But those simple 3 facts that I questioned, are huge, you don´t trade an all star for some bad parts, you trade them for a perfect scenerio

A draft pick with limited value, a talented young big that is even more injury prone then Yao, a horrible contract for a 36 year old player that is not part of the future, and some nice assets, In my view, will not cut it

The expirings is were we have the bigger advantage, plus 2 value picks/swap

But everyone has opinions, so feel free...

(There is no way that this trade goes down with Houston without Budinger on the list)

PeAcE

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Aaron Brooks is the best player on that list. I always go with the best player and everything else is pretty much equal almost. Except our picks might be worth more if new York tanks or Amare gets injured. So again ours is still the best offer.

15. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Then Again? If I am Houston? I am thinking forget about Chris Paul now and waite for some strength at another position later and just keep Aaron Brooks in the process and still get someone else.

16. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Boo hoo, sucks for them. :p

DD

17. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Actually, I kinda like this better.. always have.

I would much rather get someone like Iggy or Granger while keeping brooks. :)

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

and Again???? Brooks is by far the most valuable guy on these lists. Youngest most talented still left. Not even close to the next best guy.

19. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Which is why we KEEP him.. and get someone else in another position to get even better.

Don't understand the mentality of "mask this guy played good, he can be and is very good. OK, yea, he's a great asset, other teams would love him.. LET'S TRADE HIM!" Instead of "man this guy played good.. he can be and is very good. We're so lucky to have him.. he's a HUGE key to our success and will be in the future.. I'm so happy to have him!"

Why?

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Again read second comment^^^. Not that willing to let go of Aaron anymore. Chris Paul and the Hornets are out of luck for waiting too long. I am thinking our fans and GM will not want to give anyone Brooks now.