1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you do if you were President?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by London'sBurning, Jan 19, 2017.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You want quality teachers? Maybe you should be one! Oh, it's not an attractive job? I wonder why. Oh, the pay sucks actually. Gee, I wonder if there would be better teachers if they got paid like, a million dollars. So, salary actually can solve the problem, if it's high enough. Just no one thinks a teacher is as important as an NBA rookie.

Education sucks because 1) parents suck. Not all of them. But a few bad-apple students in a classroom really mess up a class, and a few dozen really mess up a school. Parents use schools as substitute parents and babysitters. 2) We don't want to pay for education. 3) Standardized tests with "accountability" lead to teachers and schools mortally focused on teaching to the tests, so that the best skill students develop in school is how to take some #%$^ing SAT test. Then people wonder why these champion SAT test takers are not employable. We should have like, an SAT pro league, like the NFL or NBA!

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'd be f'ed cause Putin has tape of me directing prostitutes to perform a beautiful but haunting 8-hooker synchronized peeing show in a swimming pool with opera music in the background, culminating in a joint golden shower on a statue of Corey Brewer in the act of fouling Mason Plumlee on a 3pter with .2 seconds left on the clock.

Other than that I'm squeaky clean.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The only correct answer here is:

1) Actually drain the swamp by pressuring citizens to wash congress of the scum.
    2) Establish a new, clear, DIRECT and measurable way for people to communicate their demands/grievances to POTUS.
    2) Just apply what majority of citizens tell you to do through that mechanism.

POTUS is not supposed to be a "leader" that's just a romanticized **** up we've all inherited from previous generations. POTUS is your slave, his/her only job is to do what you tell them. You are the board of directors, they are your pet. You should be setting the agenda, they should be doing an excellent job of following your orders.

The idea that 2-3 people show up every 4 years with agendas and you pick one of those people totally ignores the fact that someone set those people's agendas for them. The way this thing should go is you HAVE an agenda, and you are looking for the person who will STFU and execute your agenda cheaper, faster and better than the rest.

This thread is basically the king's game that people play in the middle east. It has no basis in democratic reality. Trump can't do whatever he wants even in this favorable situation, nor should he be able to. In the king's game, there is a point where people just shut down what's going on, which is what would happen if you just went about doing what you thought was best.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

1) Yes, parents make a huge difference, if more parents cared about their kids' academics, schools would be way better.
    2) That is true as well, this country do not value education for all the talks about education from everyone.
    3) How would you test for proficiency if not using standardized test? If you are really a champion SAT tester with 1500+ scores, I am sure you are employable.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd love to see teachers make $100k a year but I'd also like to see them better educated.

I don't think parents suck, I think we're just doing it wrong as a society. As a society we focus so much on work, consumerism, and enriching ourselves. Our priorities are misplaced. I've discussed this with people who've immigrated here from parts of Europe and Asia. They tell me their lives back home were much less stressful. Much more sense of community and being a part of your neighborhood, spending time with family, building relationships, etc. Nobody here has time because they're working all the time. When parents are able to spend more time at home with their children, the children do better not only in school but in general.

Hell we don't even offer paid leave for women who have children. It's absurd.

- Anyway, I've been thinking about ways to stop run away executive salaries. I'd make a law that a significant percentage of company boards had to be made up of regular employees. Maybe even a majority of the board be made up of regular employees. I think that would go a long way in curbing executive salaries.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The education of a teacher is important, but what is even more important beyond a minimum education is ongoing professional development.

Almost every school district requires it, but the professional development is often substandard. It is possible to get something from all the PD, but there is hardly ever any follow-up, tweaking, modifying, revisiting that is required to make it effective and take hold. In more than 10 years as a teacher, there have been probably I can break down the PD's into 10% being extremely effective, 45% somewhat effective and 45% being a complete waste of time.

Each PD in the bottom 90% of the group could go up one group with proper follow up, in-depth instruction during the PD, and tweaking, and refining it to work for each class.

The PD's are up to date, and will address specific problems.

Just adding more PD's won'd do anything unless they are done the most effective way.