1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Would You Do As New Orleans Owner?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by da_juice, Feb 28, 2012.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

I've been contemplating this for a while, and in light of news this actually seems fitting.

What would you do if you owned the Hornets?

Who would be your GM, your Coach? Would you make any particular roster moves?

Some Things to Consider:
    *You can move the team to a different city, although I believe there is still a deal with the current arena, you'll either have to honour that or pay the appropiate fees (I'm not sure how many years is left).

*Please be somewhat realistic, and be prepared to justify anything that is not realistic. I don't want to see anything ridiculous (like an Aminu-Melo trade).

When I figure out what I would do, I'll post my ideas.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Change the name of the team.

New Orleans Jambalayas

3. MONON

MONON Member

Personally, I wouldn't make any changes, staff wise. I'd like to see what the present GM could do without Stern's gun to his head.

4. HombreDeHierro

go to Seattle

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Move to Seattle, trade any good pieces for picks.(tank.) Try to bring Larry Brown out of retirement if not then sign a young up and coming coach to grow with the team. As for G.M. I'd prolly leach one off of the Mav's or some other contending team.

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

1. Evaluate Gordon's health before making any commitments. If no potential injury hazards for the future then locking him up is a must.

2. Dont waste next seasons picks. If you draft a big then flip Oakafor.

3. If right FA is available at right price then spend. They have huge cap space.

4. Ayon and Vasquez look like good role players, keep them.

5. Make a decision on whether to invest time in Aminu and Henry.

Jack/Vasquez
    Gordon/Henry?
    Ariza/Aminu?
    ?Rookie?/Smith
    Oakafor/Ayon

They can compete again if they make a good pick and acquire a solid FA. Jack is an exceptional leader, Ariza and Oakafor are solid defenders. Not a bad group to surround Gordon and a high lottery pick.

So thats a really good group to surround youngsters with.

7. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Member

Go to Seattle. If not possible and forced to stay in NO then try to buy the name 'Jazz' from Utah.

8. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

They are actually in the right track, tanking, getting a at least a top 5 pick in a good draft. With the injury Eric Gordan value won't be any lower so they might sign him on the cheap unless he signs for one year and then be a free agent again.

9. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'd weigh the options of moving to either Kansas City or Seattle (whichever would best support the team) or staying put, and I'd engage in a massive marketing campaign with local media, city government, etc. to submit names for the new team and allow the city to vote. I'd keep Dell Demps and instruct him to focus on drafting well for players with good character and potential, and putting together a coaching staff that would be able to ensure these player's development. If he can obtain some more-than-servicable veteran players, I'd be all for shelling out the cash in free agency or trades. The same goes for players with great potential for development. I'd be very willing to take risks with 2nd round picks. The most important part would be having the city identify with their team. I'd want the city to be involved in choosing the colors, uniforms, etc., and I'd want to offer a wealth of incentives to keep the people involved with their team both basketball and non-basketball to keep their loyalty during the rebuilding process. I'd be very open to the use of analytics in all facets of the organization, from the performance of players to the performance of the people keeping the organization running.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I should clarify that I wouldn't keep the Hornets name. New Orleans didn't choose it (so the people don't identify with it), and it wouldn't be appropriate to force the name on Seattle, or Kansas City.