1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would other coaches do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, May 12, 2015.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

After a few CP3 to Griffin pick & rolls .... send a goon in to deliver a statement with a very hard foul.

If you are going to give up points to CP3 / Griffin , you have to make them pay for it physically. Cant let CP3 use a pick without absorbing contact.

2. conquistador#11

harden and co would at least make some cuts to the basket to make the defenders move. you're basically playing the defense for the defense when you stand still ball watching harden.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its the offense they wanted in order to overproduce in the regular season and manufacture wins. Its math and probability.

That being said once Morey was able to get the team that he really wanted, would he have the wherewithal to give up the science experiment in order to win playoff games? That is yet to be seen. The Rockets didn't get Bosh, and retain Parsons.

Under normal circumstances with a normal NBA system, and the roster/injuries the Rocket had this year with the competition they had, realistically this is a 48 win team, and could have done worse.

We have Moreyball to thank for getting more wins than we should that put us in position to get good seeding and beat a team we can actually beat in round 1.

On the other-hand I think we are still seeing the problems of going against traditional NBA playoff basketball with this type of style. Or what I would add is players that aren't necessarily ideal for this style of play being adequate. Now in the playoffs we are seeing that they might not be adequate in the system against elite competition.

So there is alot more to unwrap than just what you said. We have Morey to thank for alot of things at the same time that we have to criticize. We just have to see what they do in the future if they are able to acquire more talent.

-Also R. Adelman left mostly because of roster turnover. He wanted players consistently because he wanted system players or players he could groom as such. Morey knew they still needed another couple years of high turnover and they parted ways due to a difference in philosophy of roster building. Not necessarily because of system.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

This thread was doomed to fail from the get go.

Asking half a board full of people, who are waiting for "their team" to fail so they can say "SEE?! I told ya so!", what they think, I dunno, seems a little like hitting yourself in the junk with a hammer.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

We've tried everything short of throwing the kitchen sink at them. It's time to throw the kitchen sink at them.

6. stab

stab Member

Play zone, because nothing else seems to be working on the defensive end

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Adleman left because Morey wanted Adleman to groom his replacement at the expense of Adelman's staff , naming (I believe it was) Finch as the "coach in waiting" basically denying Adleman's staff the opportunity.

8. hakeemthagreat

McHale's not a coach hes more of a game manager. The coaching is done by Morey

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

:grin: The best method. I think anybody would oblige under that kind of pressure. I'm ticklish myself.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In hindsight that was a good idea albeit shrewd to one of Adelman's assistants (what did RJ Adelman do exactly?).

Adelman realistically only had a couple years left in the league at his age. You don't want age, health, etc. to really be something you factor in but how can you not? Was it a smart decision to hire Phil Jackson for a GM role that was for a rebuild he might not be around long enough to enjoy when its finished?

Roster turnover, firing one of his assistants, mentoring someone he never asked to mentor, and then having a non-relationship with Les. It is what it is, and the Rockets were probably better off looking in another direction. You can argue about McHale as that direction, but that's a whole other debate.