1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would it take for a top team in the west to sign and play darius miles?i

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ambrose86, Oct 23, 2008.

1. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Now that the Celtics have waived Darius Miles, who can be the white knight and help us(top teams in the west) to screw up Portland's salary cap?

I suggest setting up a fund where the top 8 team in the west would each chip in an equal amount to pay for Miles' salary so that he can suit up for that team.

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

sounds illegal

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Towards the end of the year when its clear a team wont make the playoffs, and fans stop caring, the Wolves for example. Then someone like the Rockets could trade a 2nd rd pick to the wolves for the rights to Fred Hoiberg (or something you get it) and an under the table sign DM and play him. They have nothing to lose.

4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Most of the top 8 teams could just sign the kid and play him if they wanted to hurt Portland that badly...

I don't get the point of doing it? Paying the salary won't hurt Allen, and won't the Blazers be under the cap anyway - even if they do pay him?

Most likely they'll be spending their dough resigning their current crop of players OR making moves to sign and trade for a big name.

I guess it'd be fun to make Portland pay though...

5. iRonRon

iRonRon Member

you mean sounds good ;)

6. MC Welk

MC Welk Member

I can see Cuban doing it just to be an AHole. McHale should do it as revenge for the B. Roy robbery.

7. Christopher

Christopher Member

After the Roekets winning the title...this is what I hope happens more than anything.

It would add so much to the NBA season to see one team screw another one so hard.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

An idiot GM.

On crack.

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think any GM would have to think of the repercussions in screwing over Portland like that. Imagine wanting to do a trade deal, or multi-team trade deal with Portland, and the GM giving a big FU in return.

I think if it were possible for the Rockets to do it, it would be sweet revenge for them screwing the Rockets over in drafting Brandon Roy. Any other team that's looking for revenge should jump on the opportunity.

Heck, have the Rockets make a trade to another team for salary cap relief so they can acquire Darius Miles and get revenge on Portland that way without the Rockets screwing up their roster. :D

10. worzel gummidge

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/10/26/big_rebound_on_tap/?page=2

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

wow i dont care who you are, even new york would hate to have to pay this guy the rest of the 18 mil. what a failure.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Wow, if Portland is really trying to cockblock him just to save their cap, they deserve to get reamed by another team picking him up.

13. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Agreed. If he really can still play, or is still at least at a level where he could be someone's 14th or 15th man, but doesn't get picked up it, I would really wonder how much collusion goes on with GMs around the NBA.

14. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

how is this being an *******? To me, this is a zero-sum game. It's about a business decision. If Portland can sign someone good wif the money, then EVERYONE else in the west loses out.

This, to me, is the biggest reason why GM's in the west is not willing to do that. They don't want to be the one who suffer on something that will benefit everyone. That was why I proposed the trust fund thing where everyone chips in. In that case, Portland can't possibly gives an FU to everybody else in the West, can they?

But I do think that such an action would be blocked by david stern.