1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would be your ideal PG and Center type for this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ceonwuka, Oct 14, 2022.

1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

There seems to be a consensus from most of us that we have our SG, SF, and PF of the future lined up with Jalen, Tari and Bari.

On the other hand the opinions on KPJ and Sengun vary pretty dramatically.

Assuming the three guys I mentioned first are locked in, what non-superstar player or player type would you like to see round out the starters? I’ll go first.

PG:
    Lonzo Ball - I know he’s got some scary knee stuff going on but assuming he’s healthy he would be PERFECT for the way we want to play. Great size his position, plus defender, plus shooter, great passer in transition, great passer in half court, unselfish. Weaknesses: health, shooting/finishing inside the arc.

C:
    Bam Adebayo ** - Imagine him in pick and roll screening for our guards. Great passer as a short roll man, good lob threat, can actually score on mis-matches inside. Plus defender, plus rebounder, versatile defender, plus free throw shooter. Weaknesses: Undersized at 6’9”

** He’s a one-time all-star so I might be breaking my own rules

Y2JT, Easy and Corrosion like this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lonzo before the knee injury and Ayton before the contract

ceonwuka and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  3. wolstein

wolstein Member

Bam would be great. Not sure about Lonzo though.

maj21 likes this.
  4. a time to chill

PG: Tyrese Haliburton
    C: Robert Williams

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Magic and Hakeem.

I agree on a Lonzo, Green should ideally be guarding the smallest player on the court, so a high IQ passer, who can play off the ball and hit 3's, with the size and defensive ability to guard 2's / 3's is ideal.

For center, probably a Myles Turner type, ideally a better defensive rebounder. All the more space you can give Green the better, and someone who's a legit long and athletic defensive backbone.

6. i3artow i3aller

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd like to have a 7 ft center for the first time in a decade.

don grahamleone, maj21 and javal_lon like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ for PG - I am 100% fine with an attacking scoring PG.

Embid would be the center, all around game, on the block out to the 3ball....and a lob threat.

DD

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I thought about Ayton too. He gives off malcontent vibes though. I could see him pouting if he doesn't get the number of shots that he thinks he should. The contract actually doesn’t bother me too much. It’s *only* four years and the raises are lower than your typical max. He actually might be gettable in a couple years if Phoenix implodes.

javal_lon likes this.
  10. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I thought about Myles, too. I think our offesnse would be too reliant on the perimeter with him though.

And as much as he is touted as this great shooter he’s kind if *meh* at it. His rim protection is legit though.

11. Sen89

Sen89 Member

A big PG who's pass-first and can switch on D/knock down 3s. Lonzo was mentioned, and he's a good choice, but Anthony Black from this year's draft class fits the bill. If we end up drafting in the #5-8 range, I think he'd be a great fit.

We don't need a ton from the C spot. Ideally you'd get a rim-runner who can switch on D and block some shots, and any shooting ability would be a cherry on top. It might end up coming from 2 guys -- if Sengun can become a consistent 3-point shooter, and we add an athletic counterpoint to split minutes with him, it might work out. The defense we're going to (eventually) get from Eason + Jabari at the F spots is going to be excellent, and having another good defender at the 5 could be scary.

What's exciting is that we could potentially become a strong defensive team while still pushing the pace. Most top defensive teams slow it down (i.e. Boston), but if we get a C who can run, we could have a pretty explosive group that can get after it on D/switch. Obviously we have a long way to go, but the Tari/Bari combo has me excited.

Corrosion and clutchdabear like this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Center: Jabari Smith, Jr in 2-3 years or Wemby
    PG: Tyrese Haliburton, but bigger and better defense.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Sengun is our C and Jabari will help protect the paint. Those 4-5 assists from post/roll, points in the paint, lots of rebounds, team-first mindset are the kind of things you typically see on contenders. He also has a star-level confidence about scoring, and since Jabari is not an initiator then we need another one next to Green. If the Bucks can win a title with Lopez starting, I don’t see how Sengun is even remotely unplayable defensively as many people seem to think.

From the PG position I want a team motivator who protects the ball well, plays consistently good defense and is great at catch and shoot. No random weaknesses like FT%. Champions rarely ever have a PG who has an ego about his usage, and that’s why I don’t believe in it. A young Pat Beverley would be ideal.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Center: Sengun

PG: someone who brings the ball up without committing turnovers, hands it to Sengun or Jalen, doesn't try to do too much else, defends well, and can hit threes. Tyus Jones type. Maybe TyTy could be that guy. Nix can't.

Ankara1923 and don grahamleone like this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

Jrue Holiday and Jarret Allen

ilias likes this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm good rollin with Sengun and KPJ for THIS SEASON.... as we let the kids develop and look for at least a decent draft pick...

but NEXT OFFSEASON... we got all that cap room - THEN we go shopping for top level talent to fill those last 2 starting positions...

I'd LOVE to be able to keep both going forward - as bu center and 6th man... not starters.... the 3, 2 more starters, KPJ, Sengun, Tate & Christopher - that would be a nice 9 man rotation imo... still developing other kids... maybe another bench vet or 2....

that said... if we get a trade opportunity this season to bring in an upper level PG or Center (trading Ego, KMJ, etc) - i'd go ahead and do it bc who knows whats gonna be realistically available come the off season... even if it hurts our potential draft pick next year....

but i'm not looking for any mid level slight increase stop gaps for THIS season... imo

17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Ideal pg would be someone who is a lefty. Can create his own shot and really good at catch and shoot 3s
    Ideal center can be European type. Someone who is good in the post and can create shots for others.

Denovo and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Embiid, right?
    Oh he would fit in so great with the runnin'&gunnin' youngbloods!
    Sober up.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - someone has to rebound send the outlet pass and follow up...kids.....sheesh!

DD

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is the best combo I’ve seen

Hali
    Green
    Tari
    Bari
    Williams

crazy good squad that fits together nicely

Denovo likes this.