1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will Dwight's effect be on the defense of this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ag3ntgandhi, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

I thought the Truehoop article posted here yesterday had some interesting things to say (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/61021/what-exactly-have-the-rockets-created)

Mainly, for the point of this discussion, these few comments:

"During the other 38 percent of the season the team was so bad that all the other big-minute Rockets -- Harden, Chandler Parsons, Lin -- finished the season with negative plus/minus ratings."

"But in fact, by sending Asik to the bench, Howard is taking the floor with four guys who needed heroic defensive help just to win 45 games."

These are some pretty interesting concepts, in my opinion.

Will Dwight's defensive presence be around the same as Asik's? Meaning, will he have to play at his elite level just to give our team a semblance of a defensive presence, or will it elevate the team defense higher than before?

Essentially, will the fact that our overall team defense is so bad (besides one, now two, players) lead to the same show as last year? It seems like Howard and Asik won't be sharing the floor too often from early comments, but I'm sure they'll get some time in, so essentially at any point during the game we'll have the same defensive personnel as last year. Meaning, one elite defensive player and four mediocre ones. So will we see the same thing?

Last year, there were a multitude of games where we gave up big, double-digit leads and either barely won or lost. Basically, games where the other team shouldn't have been in it. If Asik is anchoring the second team that should help us keep those big leads.

Also, do you think just having Dwight will also allow us to maintain a double-digit lead as well?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to start some discussion since there hasn't been much news lately! I bolded some of the main points for anyone just wanting to skim.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dwight over Asik in the starting lineup will likely be a wash defensively, offensively is where our starting group will improve.

Asik to the bench is where the biggest improvement defensively comes from. Frankly it is going to be awesome having 48 minutes of great D at the center spot.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Dwight is an improvement defensively. When healthy he's the best defensive player in the league.

4. basketballholic

Parsons is not a mediocre defender.

5. chandlerbang21

we dont know what his effect will be on the defense, season hasnt started

6. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Sorry, you're right, I was just making a point in referencing the article by essentially saying Asik was pretty much the KEY to us even having a defense. I know Parsons is a good individual defender.

7. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Yeah I know, sorry, just wanted to have some hypothetical discussion!

8. Karolik

Karolik Member

This year, he was pretty average.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

He spent so much time last year guarding point guards and stuff, especially early on, that his defense looked shaky in those silly stats like RAPM people use. When you're being forced into mismatches because the other option is crap, of course it looks worse than it really is.

10. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Interesting, I don't really even know TOO much about advanced stats. I don't even know what RAPM means...

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Actually, this past season, Parsons was sorta a mediocre defender.

12. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

That or he just spent so much on offense that his defense slipped. I for one am glad to have Garcia back, not only for his 3 pt stroke, but his man on man defense as well.

And how much time did Parsons spend guarding point guards anyways? Just from the eye test, without even looking at his shaky RAPM on defense, he wasn't as successful as he was his rookie season.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The defense took a small step forward with the addition of Beverley into the starting line-up during the playoffs. With more time, that will only get better. Now adding Howard and keeping Asik will make this a very good team defensively.

14. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Agreed. Maybe the way they played last year was equal (defensively), but when Dwight is on he takes it to another level.

15. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Yeah, it's gonna help exponentially to always have an elite, defensive presence at the 5.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Dwight is a slight upgrade over Asik defensively, but much better offensively. Asik is eons better than Smith defensively. Smith as our back up C killed us everytime.

17. red32

red32 Member

Harden: I don't have to play defense - D12's got my back!

1 person likes this.
  18. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

Dwight'll elevate your defense. He's that good. He's instant post presence like Asik but had better rebounding/blocking stats last year. And that's with a bad back plus Pau and Jordan Hill crowding the paint at times. As opposed to Asik, who had all the paint to himself because the 1-4 usually camp the 3 line.

Offensively, he helps you guys big time. He can score in the post and needs to be doubled. If he's hot he needs to be tripled. So you now got 2-3 guys on the starting lineup who need to be doubled, that opens up all kinds of possibilities. You can play inside out, something you couldn't really do last year. He's also an elite rollman so if you guys wanna do 1-5 or 2-5 pnr, you guys will be way more efficient at it than last year.

To me, the most interesting part of that article is the part talking about McHale. I don't know if people can see it but the Lakers last year and Rockets this year are similarly built. Dominant 2 who alternates between playmaking and wing iso's (Harden, Kobe), a 1 who needs the ball to be effective but defers and is relegated to spot up shooting (Lin, Nash), a 4 that will be forced outside the paint to create space (Asik if he gets moved to the 4, Pau), plus a ball dominant 5 who gets mad if he's not fed in the post. Plus McHale pretty much runs the D'Antoni offense anyway (half-court pnr sets with proper spacing). There are a few intangibles (Chandler Parsons, the Rockets' superior transition game) but unless McHale adapts, Rockets are gonna run into the same problems the Lakers did last year

19. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

One thing I'm hoping is that players don't get lax because they know Dwight/Asik is back there and they'll take care of it once the opposing player drives into the paint. That can lead to a lot of kickout, wide-open 3-point opportunities, which we saw enough of last year....

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

No its not.Howard is a much better defensive player than asik. He's a shotblocker for one and a very good one. So guys will shoot more jumpers. Harden needs to play with more effort defensively. If you're going to be upper echelon,you need to be able to guard your man. Id imagine with howard,they will be much better defensively.