1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will Daryl Morey's Lottery Draft Strategy be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Did you miss Morey doing everything he could to get us just below the LT line? Read this, and then reconsider whether the Rocks would want to take on several low 1st round picks, putting aside the haul we collected in future 1st round picks from the crazy Knicks.

From our Fearless Leader:

Luxury Tax
    The Rockets GM may be unpredictable, but the Rockets owner sure isn't. As fully expected, the Rockets leveraged McGrady's contract to take back less annual salary, getting under the luxury tax line by about $700K. By making this move, the Rockets ultimately save millions of dollars ($10 million ballpark). They cut salary ($3 million annual) and receive a share of the tax ($5 million) instead of paying it ($3 million).

Again, switching back to Morey and staff, that is what is amazing about what they accomplish - they are handcuffed by the requirement of having to stay under the luxury tax. The Lakers aren't restricted in that way. Neither are the Cavs. Dallas? Mark Cuban laughs at such things.

Houston is, and Daryl Morey doesn't let it stop him. He finds a way to get under the tax every single year, saving his owner millions, while still improving the roster in some fashion.

I would not be surprised at all if Morey is an owner or part-owner of an NBA franchise in the not-too-distant future.

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1551/breaking_down_the_rockets_blockbuster/

Look at what squeezed us below the LT... $700,000 bucks, which saved the Rockets and Les a ton of bread. Now consider those low 1st round picks. I look at the opposite happening. We are far more likely to trade (future picks, players) to move up in the draft, not down. Not this year.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Wow. He seems to fit the mold of a Daryl Morey type of player. Good production and great value. Plus since he is under contract Houston could start negotiating with Minnesota as soon as the season is over. I wonder why Kahn did not entertain trade scenarios for Jefferson at the deadline? Of did I just miss it?

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He did, but no one would bite.

4. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

The Wolves would love to have Al Jefferson play center and play Love at PF but they keep putting scrubs like Ryan Hollins and Darko Milicic out there at that position and bring Love off the bench. This tells me that Jefferson is not suited to play center, the problem probably being at the defensive end.

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

i think he will draft the best player available and maybe trade him if he dosent fit our needs for one that does and i think he will retain the new york picks for insurance in case we find out yao is not the same player or continues with his foot injuries.

6. fumduck

fumduck Member

Funny thing just crossed my mind. Morey is going to do something, but all of us here on this GARM are going to boo and get mad at his pick or move. Then a few months later, we all come back and say "In Morey we Trust"....

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Apparently, he attempted to deal Al Jefferson for Danny Granger -- the Pacers declined. Then, in some bizarre twist, Kahn got really embarrassed at the idea that people knew he tried to deal Al Jefferson, so he publically declared the the Timberwolves would not move ANY of their significant pieces at the deadline.. WAY ahead of the deadline.

My opinion? He's an idiot. What kind of GM would draft Rubio, then Johnny Flynn right after him?!? Rubio is as natural of a PG as you can get -- was your big vision to play a < 6' footer at the SG position? Or did you spend the 6th pick in the draft on a bench player? Then a report comes out about the Granger-Jefferson swap, and you completely shut off your roster from deals? David Kahn is just another idiot who succeeded an idiot to keep the Timberwolves ship on the path of mediocrity. I feel sorry for their players.

If you are proposing that we keep building, then why are you wanting to trade our LOTTERY draft pick this year? If anything, that should be an essential building block for this franchise, both in future trades and with the team going forward. I don't think anyone is proposing to sign veteran players for huge deals -- where have you seen this? Well, thinking about it now.. could you be referring to Marcus Camby? I would certainly be for signing Camby with the MLE, assuming Les would swallow the tab (certainly not a given.)

So you're OK with sacrificing the "future" for Bosh -- I agree, Bosh would be our future in that scenario. I think you're essentially arguing against another Battier-Gay trade, though I haven't seen anyone propose such scenarios. The only way our draft pick is traded is if it nets us a star (Bosh, Rubio) or if we use it to move up. Besides those, I see Morey taking the best player available at our position. We can both continue to build around Yao AND for the future by using our draft pick -- we don't need to trade it away for future picks in (probably) weaker drafts for it to be a "future move." A future move could be as simple as selecting Xavier Henry at 14.

If anything, Morey has shown that he'll take the best player available, position be damned (Aaron Brooks). This is probably the best way to go when considering that you're building a stock of young talent/picks to be able to move in a future KG-like move.

#67 LongTimeFan, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I disagree with this. If Jefferson is on the market, there is a bidding war. If Bosh comes he would of "chosen Houston" and Morey would not have to give up as much.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think Jefferson would be good on this team and have mentioned him as a potential target before.

I think Minny would want our 2010 lottery pick+Budinger and Filler to start.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I don't want jefferson on this team, his overweight and injury prone.....

I would go after Amare, b/f I go after jefferson....

--RB

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You want Jefferson instead of Amare, because Jefferson is injury prone?

In the last 2 seasons, they have averaged the same number of games played, 66.

So far this season, Amare has played 71 games and Jefferson has played 68 games.

12. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Actually, you seem to be agreeing with me, if anything.

My main point is, I would like to see us move up to #4 or so, plus get a hot FA, such as Bosh, but I think DM is more likely to just keep building WHILE going a little out of his way to maximize the talent for the next 2-3 years, when we can take the best advantage of Yao.

I don't want to just trade away this year's pick, I would like to move up; OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me to see DM turn it into multiple picks, over the next few years.

When you want to win in the very near future, you go more for veterans, even reaching. If you hang onto young players that you could have otherwise traded for players that are ready right now, you aren't maximizing your talent for the near future. I am not in the "Win soon at all costs" camp; neither are you, apparently, and I don't believe DM is, either.

Let's say there's a scale from 0 to 10, where 10 means win this year, sacrificing the future in every possible deal where we can get better now. 0 means, total youth, at least as far as any future moves go. I believe that DM is closer to the 0 end of the scale than either you or I are.

BTW, as far as getting a #4 pick (or so) plus a hot FA such as Bosh, these are our chips (assuming we don't want to hurt ourselves at other positions):

2010 lottery pick
    2011 pick, plus the Knicks swap condition
    2012 NY pick
    2012 HOU pick (I haven't looked up which we still have).
    Jordan Hill or Scola, assuming the FA is a big, and the pick is for the 1-3 positions.
    Jeffries' expiring contract
    Two of these (AB, Lowry, Budinger, Ariza, Battier), depending on what position the pick would play.
    $5 million TPE that I believe we got out of the big trade this year. I would love to know for sure that we got it, but there is no verification on this point one way or the other.

Don't tell me we can't swap all those picks - I know we can't. I'm just pointing out how much we have to play with. Keep in mind that we don't need to give up full value to Toronto for Bosh; they are trading a piece that can just walk away without them getting anything.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm guessing, but hard to think what Morey could possibly the come up with the magnificent b@stard.

1. Wait to see who drops (potential heavyweight draft picks) and get that player without any trouble.

2. If all those covet players are gone, or if the remaining top choices aren't players Morey is exactly looking for as of right now or just are lacking in too many areas. He can trade down for multiple draft picks (as mentioned in previous post) or even an active player and a pick.

3. Package 1st pick with a player or two to be named and initiate a trade for a player to be named (not necessarily FA, like Bosh or Amar'e, it could be anyone who is worth the value being exchanged)

The options are almost limitless, if we fail (which is looking very likely) to make the playoffs.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We have to pull a star quality player this offseason that probably better than any other player we have on our roster if we want to compete for a ring.

Or we need to add a young superstar talent (Wall, Cousins, Turner, enter 2-3 more draft prospects depending on varying opinions.

I would be happy us working off of these lists

Veteran Targets:
    Chris Bosh
    Chris Paul
    Amare
    Al Jefferson

Draft prospects (based on Star Power/Potential)
    Wall
    Turner
    Cousins
    Monroe
    Johnson

15. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kahn wants to trade Big Al. He's not a great fit for their triangle offense.

16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Kahn was swinging for the fences but the Pacers wouldn't make a deal involving Granger.

I do hope Morey tries to pick him up. Don't get me wrong... I would love Bosh but I think Big Al is perfect considering his contract.

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Great minds think a like. :)

If he's healthy, I can't see a better fit for Houston at the PF position. He likes to play at both positions but he plays better at the PF position though. Bosh is awesome but I don't think we can swing that deal. I hoping I jinx the Rockets :grin:

I wouldn't mind getting sessions if we were to lose Lowry.

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

There would be a bidding war but Minny clearly wants picks and very young cheap assets. Not many teams can offer what Houston can unless OKC jump in there.

19. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Jefferson is better than what you're giving him credit for.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If Minnesota wins the Lottery and chooses Wall, what happens to Rubio??? Morey loves the kid so I imagine he would be right there for him if bidding opens up.