1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will Daryl Morey's Lottery Draft Strategy be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Mar 25, 2010.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with you. If you think trading for Pierce (or any other player) gets you a championship you do it every time. Even if it means starting from scratch the year after your championship.

2. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Which makes sense considering that this could potentially be Yao's year as a Houston Rocket. I wouldn't mind seeing Morey put all his chips on another all-star caliber player and start up another big three (except lets hope this one brings home the bacon). I'm sure that bringing in all-star big like Chris Bosh or Amare are higher up on Morey's priority list.

Clutchfans shouldn't forget all about Amare with all the talk about acquiring Chris Bosh. Remember the reports that there was a deal on the table that would send Amare to Houston and Battier and others along with two draft picks (possibly one was our own 2010 first) to the Suns? Who proposed the deal in the first place is unknown but Amare not taking a physical was what killed the deal though. I don't remember the exact details but there were conflicting reports. Is possible though that Amare or another all-star big man could have a cheaper price tag during the offseason or draft night (if he picks up his player option)?

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Just get a center already, one that will blossom into Yao's replacement.

4. Mashing

Mashing Member

What makes you say that (regarding not dealing with Houston)?

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

looking at our lineup we're pretty much set 1-5 as far as starters go. They're all solid. the weakest would be our Sf position, but i think they're ok with ariza/battier there since that's going to be the defensive guy who's a role guy by definition. i dont think they're ready to go big in the draft and acquire a high pick via trade. I thnk they're still wanting to help yao out as much as possible and best case scenario is still to win and win big with yao, not with new guys. That's going to bring in insane amounts of money.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Trading less for more. It's as simple as that.

Morey has the guys in the NBA rated along with the guys in college. if he can figure out how to trade some of his lesser assets for a bigger asset(s), then he will make a trade.

1. Lebron
    2a. Chris Bosh
    2b. Chris Paul
    3. rights to Ricky Rubio
    4 (a. and b.) John Wall or Evan Turner
    5. etc
    6. etc.

I don't know how list but it's got to go something like that. He then will try to trade #72 and #28 for #5, etc.

7. rottendoubt

rottendoubt Member

When I used to play fantasy basketball, I'd also try to do 2 (or more) for 1's because you could always find a half-decent replacement if you were good at combing the waiver wire.

Morey should employ the same strategy since he's a master at finding undervalued players. Ideally, package a combination of expirings, young potential players, and draft picks to get a superstar player to pair with Yao and Martin; and then restock through the draft, buying 2nd round draft picks, the NBDL, the waiver wire, etc.

Personally, I'd prefer to try to upgrade the PG position (and lose Brooks) than upgrading the PF position (and losing Scola).

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Here's the draft strategy. The Spurs need to rebuild. Scola, Hill, Budinger, Ariza and all the picks for Tim Duncan.

Get er done Morey. ;)

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I just hope that DM get someone with size. Ariza, Buddinger, Anderson, Martin and Hill are a good start. Just hope it continues.

10. Karolik

Karolik Member

Tim Duncan is washed up...have you seen him play recently? Chris bosh is a better option.

11. LifeisButaDream

Moreys strategy is to get stern to believe that John Walls jersey will sell more if he were wearing rockets red. ;) <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0TgJE7C5wiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Trade Aaron Brooks + our 2010 pick + our 2011 (with Knick option) for this year's #2. That translates into John Wall or Evan Turner, more than likely Turner. Evan easily is the second best PG in the draft despite being a SG. At 6-7 he gives us the size and quickness to play the premier PGs in the league as well as create mismatches for the lesser PGs. We use Lowry as the starter until Turner learns his craft.

Evan Turner, 6-7, PG backed up by Kyle Lowry
    Kevin Martin, 6-7 SG, backed up by Chase Budinger
    Trevor Ariza, 6-8, SF, backed up by Shane Battier
    Luis Scola, 6-9, PF, backed up by Jordan Hill
    Yao Ming, 7-6, C, backed up by David Andersen

Sign Amir Johnson, reserve PF/C, and retain Jared Jeffries, reserve PF/SF

Retain Jermaine Taylor and Mike Harris on the D-League roster.

Cut or trade Chuck Hayes for a second rounder

13. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Let me throw a little bit of a wet blanket on things.

Sure, as a fan, I'd love to see him trade up to say, #4, and get a real stud. And I'd love to see him also get a hot FA. And, these two things wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I see two other scenarios that I think are more DM's style:

1) He trades down, has three picks in the bottom of the 1st round, and two picks in the top of the 2nd round. He tries to come up with three nuggets out of these picks. Oh, and he would trade more than just the one pick to get those five.

2) He trades the pick for something better in the future, say, a first and second next year, and a first the year after that.

He might combine these two approaches, and end up trading this year's first for a late first and a second this year, plus a future first.

This makes sense, and fits his style, but isn't so much fun for a fan that wants to see something exciting, now.

14. showtang043

showtang043 Member

we've heard him say we have no other options but put our faith in Yao, by acquiring Kevin Martin all signs point to us going for the championship next year, I think we are not going to get our talent to help us with that next year in the draft, just like everyone says, we have a lot of ammo for trades along with a lottery pick, I think if he sees a guy he thinks is of great value and is on the trade market, thats what he is swinging for.

No doubt Brooks is great talent, its tough to see him leading us to championship though, he can score with the best of them in the league, but his defense is suspect which makes me question if he is the best pg for us to win a title, only if we could combine him with lowry to make the perfect pg, but we can't so we need a shooting pg like brooks who can space the court for yao but who is also defensive minded....

trade market, here we come

15. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Evan Turner would be a fit as the playmaking point forward that would make all the plays to get Brooks/Martin/Yao any shot they wanted.....if we happened to get lucky in the lottery. (Highly unlikely)

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

This is the draft to be in, not next year. With the looming lockout, everyone is coming out this year. The draft class next year should be pretty weak. I would be upset if we traded our picks for future picks -- it does nothing for our closing window of Yao's prime. We either need to move up, trade the pick, or keep it and select the Best Player Available.

I don't want picks in future drafts. I want picks in this draft - this is the draft you want to be in.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Got burned bad? Shane Battier has won more games for the Rockets than Rudy Gay for Memphis since that trade was done. Now after losing them all those games Rudy Gay is all set to make a lot of money despite being a minimal contributor to team success. Even with hindsight I'll still do the trade :rolleyes:

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Yes, but if you can trade this year's stuff for better stuff next year, and keep doing that, you are a top team every year.

I know you're not saying this, but betting everything on whatever years Yao has left is beneath DM and the position he has built up.

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone forgets about 08. Batum for Arthur plus pick, Arthur for green plus pick.They were back to back to back picks. One of the pics was just a few spots later in Dorsey, the other went back to Memphis for taking "the franchise". That was amazing. If morey can get two top 3 2nd rounders for moving from 26 to 28, imagine what he can do going from 13 to 15. Hell getting 2 more early 2nd rounders would be worth it. If he does move up in the draft, don't be surprised if he works with Sac, or Memphis. I think we've traded with those two often lately and both have been happy with what they got.

20. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

i just want him to draft someone that is gonna get my hype during games, someone that shows true leadership, and gets hype when he makes and-one plays. Ariza never shows passion, neither do Martin, i want to see someone who you can't tell that they didn't lay it all out on the floor when that final buzzer sounds.