1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    WEST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the TWolves avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

What will become of John Wall this season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Dec 30, 2021.

?

What happens to Wall this season?

1. He gets traded

14 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. The Rockets and he agree to a buy out

19 vote(s)
    16.5%
  3. He makes peace with the Rockets and actually plays

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Nothing, he sits out the reminder of the season

73 vote(s)
    63.5%
  1. vince

vince Member

Just curious about what Clutch fans are expecting of John Wall and his awkward situation with the Rockets.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Unless he is willing to take a buyout with a significant cut in salary, he will continue to be on vacation. Nobody wants him for more than the minimum salary, and he's not will to lose money. The rockets would rather keep him as a expiring trade chip in a year than save the minimum

#2 rockbox, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    clos4life and Plowman like this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Don’t know and honestly don’t really care. Either we find a desperate team that will trade for him or he can ride the pine until he agrees on a huge paycut for a buyout or his contract gets traded as amnEC.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

my bet is a buyout after the trade deadline, but that is contingent on Wall's side being willing to give back some of next years salary.

5. sogood.

sogood. Member

Continue to sit out, becomes a valuable expiring next season.

vince likes this.
  6. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Trade him for Westbrook for a FRP.

Rockets manage to shuffle around Westbrook and Wall's contracts multiple times and get multiple picks out of it.

Dacamel and tycoonchip like this.
  7. vince

vince Member

Had the Rockets gone with Mobley at #2 pick, I venture to think Wall would be on the court right now.

Heck, With Wall and Mobley, I could see the Rockets being a fringe away from being a play off team. Wood, Gordon, Tate, KPJ, etc provide a solid rotation to backup that pair.

But as it is, with KPJ, Green, Christopher, etc… There isn’t much but journeyman minutes to spread around. And DJ Augustine is filling in just fine hawking those minutes.

But I do think that Wall like Chris Paul can rebuild his value amongst the league, if given the chance. So will a team try and get Wall, or just wait out the Rockets juggling the situation and snatch him up for nothing?

futilman and RKREBORN like this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He will diminish and go into the west......

DD

clos4life, Mr.Scary and Plowman like this.
  9. vator

vator Contributing Member

[​IMG] ]
    If he’s not willing to give back money on a buyout and then try to recoup some of it when he signs with a new team in his preferred destination like Kemba Walker and Blake Griffin before him, he can continue to collect dust. That’s the price of doing business.

#9 vator, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    vince likes this.
  10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

would be so sweet.

11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

John Wall is on Island Time!

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  12. vince

vince Member

My sentiments exactly. Funny how the whole free John Wall craps seems to have died down. At least other than by memory, I haven’t seen that hashtag in a while.

The NBA is hurting for viewership, I saw how the much heralded Christmas Day games were pretty much overlooked.

i doubt the NBA is going to go on the Free John Wall from getting paid tens upon tens of millions of dollars. Especially if he wants most of it for not playing.

NBA is probably negotiating damage control from all the bad press they’ve garnered.

So Wall can just sit back and collect his purse, and wait out his contract length….

RayRay10 and vator like this.
  13. a time to chill

It didn't make any sense to sit him in the first place. KPJ still could've developed into PG coming off the bench and we could've used John Wall while KPJ was healing his thigh contusion.

The best way forward is to get him to agree to play coming off the bench to entice other teams making a championship run to trade for him. Eric Gordon has played well coming off the bench and now the consensus is that we could possibly get a first-round pick for him. Now seems like a good time to do it because of the possibility of a depleted roster due to coronavirus.

The depth chart should be

Starters:
    PG - Kevin Porter
    SG - Jalen Green
    SF - Garison Mathews
    PF - Jae-Sean Tate
    C - Christian Wood

2nd:
    PG - John Wall
    SG - Armoni Brooks
    SF - Eric Gordon
    PF - Kenyon Martin Jr.
    C - Alperen Sengun

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am onboard with that provided:

1) WB never sees the court
    2) Keeps his mouth shut to the media (cant let him become an off-court cancer)

Dacamel likes this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Unlike John Wall, there's no way in hell Westbrook is cool with sitting, or playing for the Rockets, or being quiet to the media about not being cool with those thing.

clos4life likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wouldn't care if he was cool with it. But no, if he were here again, he would probably want to play heroball and rescue us to a 10th seed playoff exit and destroy our draft pick all at the same time, which is exactly what we cant let happen.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think he plays the last 20 or so games and gets traded in the summer.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

What is this frp? Lakers don't own theirs until... 2025 maybe? :p. Almost half a decade.

In a Rockets rebuild, Lakers don't have much we want.

Jury is out on KPJ, but Westbrook (like Wall) playing point guard is not the answer. The Wall bench thing is also pointless.
    ---
    Wall doesn't equate more wins. There's not much to showcase, we already tried that last year. Wall is called the Tank commander for a reason. He was one of the reasons for that almost historic long L streak. Last year was also him well rested because we load managed him from b2b. Him losing for us was him on his fresh legs.

I wish people would accept Stone's decision on this one. Sitting him out is the correct move.

19. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets need to keep him until after next year’s trade deadline. While I think the chances are slim, they need to keep him until there is no longer a possibility to trade him. A buyout doesn’t make any since until after that possibility is over.

But since you say you think he will get traded this summer, what do you think that trade will look like?

ilias, TimDuncanDonaut and Plowman like this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'm pretty convinced at this point that we're never going to be able to trade him, and I doubt we buy him out. I predict that we sit him all season and the only way he doesn't end up in the exact same situation next season (after which he'll expire and we'll use the cap space ourselves) is if he opts out of his last year in order to play sooner. No way we move him, his decision to either leave or sit for another year.

clos4life and theDude like this.