1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What were your thoughts on Dwight Howard prior to him coming to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jul 8, 2013.

1. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Looks like a fun guy. Amazing athlete.... Didn't know if he was going to be the same after back surgery.

Him wanting to explore free agency never bothered me.... Because thats his option

Why is it a "BUSINESS" when a team trades a player, but when a player is at the end of a contract(and wants to explore options) they are wrong?

I don't think he is dramatic either(fans are impatient, including me) But, Free agency opened up on a Monday. He had all his meetings by the end of Tuesday and then Chose Friday night.

Everybody was being impatient..... And the media come up with so much crap of what they thought Dwight was thinking.

We got lucky with Dwight, I'm happy

2. liveguy

liveguy Member

Spot on.

If he ever developed a good baseline Jumper, he would be incredible.

But having a decent jumper means he could hit ft's at least....bleek outlook on that.

3. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I think he is overwhelmed, but I actually respected that opted-in at Orlando when he had no obligation to.

4. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

He didn't like his situation in Orlando, asked for a trade, caught a crazy amount of rage/hate, succumbed to fan pressure and opted in, realized that was a really stupid thing to do, asked for a trade to the Nets, got traded to the Lakers, came back early from an injury to play for the lakers, was blamed for every Laker failure as black Holeby chucked 20+ shots a game and didn't play defense, was raged at by Kobe for smiling, and dealt with a one tricky pony head coach who doesn't know that the frontcourt or defense exists. He's an immature guy whose biggest personality knock is that he's fun/nice/smiles a ton and isn't an unlikable douche ala Kobe, because apparently being an unlikable douche is what win's championships and not good basketball according to ESPN and dull pop analysis by fans.

Post game is pretty limited, PnR play is fantastic, defense is fantastic, a bit immature, dislikes wearing protection. I was never as down on him as most people. Lots of it seemed to me like media bull ****, much like the Broussard 50-50 talk.

If he had gone to any team but the Lakers I would have gained a great deal of respect for him, even if it wasn't the Rockets.

5. HTM

HTM Member

I think a lot of people feel like he hasn't really recovered from back surgery but tbh the 2nd half of the season with the lakers when they went on that impressive run.... I thought he looked beast again.

6. Chamillionaire

Overrated. Yao used to OWN this dude. But with the quality of Cs in the league, he's the best.

Athletic, can jump out of the gym. Physically gifted, but weak-minded.

7. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

immature prima-donna who needs to find structure in order to start flying straight. honestly, i think dwight can start maturing under mchale's guidance and the calm, structured environment of houston. LA was just a cluster-f*** of problems

8. ThaShark316_28

I've always liked him. Only thing I had a beef with was when Yao was in his prime, people swore he'd own Yao in a matchup. Had to break out the stats.

Those SVG impressions and **** like that, I enjoyed.

9. jvu

jvu Member

A titty baby.

10. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

Game Changer, on both ends.

Him and Harden forcing a lot foul trouble. We will be living at the line!

11. ThaShark316_28

(forgot some things)The SVG beef and the Lakers bs (laughing after Ls to hide obvious pain, etc) helped no one at the end of the day, as well.

2004-10 Dwight is a happy guy, so that one needs to show up.

12. liveguy

liveguy Member

Yao did used to do him tho....majorly.

His "weak-minded" stems from wanting to please everyone and not have people hate him.

At this point....gotta get over that cause you can do everything to please mofos and SOMEBODY will still complain....so eff 'em! Do YOU!

Hopefully he recognizes and keeps it moving.

Thats what separates that so-so's from the greats.....

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

hated his demeanor and attitude on the court and always felt that he could be so much better than he already is. He was indecisive and uncooperative in both Orlando and LA- he may have been unfairly portrayed by the media, but then why would each team have similar issues with him?

I hope he can be a dominant player who works hard and gets along with all his teammates. I don't want a guy who can be the jokester on the team- we need a winner who will help carry the team to somewhere that we haven't been since the last millennium.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

As he was younger, I saw him as the next true center, I saw him as a guy who would later on give Yao a nice cohort in the class of centers. I thought he and Yao were going to be the center revival as Shaq demised.

As he got older, I took the good with the bad. I saw him as a guy who was not developing a true post game but I always gave him the benefit of the doubt. I thought he could carry a team to the finals, he did that.

As the Dwightmare began, I saw him as a guy that I envisioned on the Rockets. When he stated that he wished to not be in Houston, I was a bit upset and when he got traded to the Lakers, I thought we had no chance of ever seeing him in red.

When the Lakers continually struggled, I was gratified but still expected him to stay. When the All-Star Game happened and he threw up that H, I began to feel as if he was a real target this off-season or last deadline.

He has been a player I have wanted in a Rockets uniform since I can remember. I am very excited to watch this play out.

15. conquistador#11

hated the guy as much as lebron. But he wears red now and I honestly think this whole saga will transform him to a true leader of men. Never in a million years did I think we would have the guy who we would argue over yao. It's pretty awesome. Think about it this way, we will have 2 teammates in the nba's first team. when was the last time that happened? I need to slap myself to make sure this isn't a dream!

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Thought he was the best Center in the NBA, best Defensive player of the game and had the potential to be the most dominant player in the NBA...

Then he got SVG fired and The GM fired and said he was loyal and forced his way out of Orlando... And I thought, he wants out, Orlando obviously was trying to do whatever they could to keep him and he didn't want to be hated on the way Lebron got hated on, and I thought he is probably a little immature and he is handling this all wrong, but nonetheless he gets traded to who else but the LA Lakers! Showtime! And I was pissed frankly cause i thought Houston was the place for him and you heard the reports before that he said he was trying everything in his power not to come to Houston. But then the season happened I enjoyed watching the Lakers falter and wanted nothing more to rip the heart out of them by signing Dwight in Free agency.

Now that it has happened i feel pretty much the same about him, he can dominate the game, when healthy and committed he is the best big man in the world and the best defensive player in the world. He is still a kid, he is still a little immature but so am I haha but the way he has handeled the past week or so in Free Agency has been nothing but mature and was the best thing he has done since winning the Eastern Confernece Finals and I'm confident Dwight wants to reach his true potential and I believe Houston allows him that opportunity!

18. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

I too always fought for the case that Yao was superior, and frankly Yao was when he was healthy. Dwight simply couldn't do much against him.

In general though, Dwight was always a super athlete who finished well around rim, started to develop a couple of post moves but still didn't have an offensive package that would allow him to score at will. He started to develop that hook shot across the lane and I've been impressed at how skilled he is with his left hand now. However, I felt he could use just a couple more moves.

As far as the whole "dwightmare" thing goes, I think he just handled it the only way he knew how. I think ppl forget that some of these athletes are relatively young when they're making huge decisions to which media and such rag on them for. Sometimes it's hard not to lash back and the media loves to feed off anything they can. I think what used to be a loose and outgoing guy experienced a lot of crap and grew a little cold-hearted and bitter to it all. I don't know many athletes would handle it THAT much better.

But seriously, dude needs to work on his free throws ... I don't want him to become another shaq who says crap like "i'll make em when it counts" ... every one of them counts.

19. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

He is born with happy to lucky personality. He can't help it, not his fault.
    But lots of people mistaken it as lack of effort on the court.

He is a good teammate, and will give it all on the court given the right circumstance. Some players can flourish anywhere, some, like Howard, need the right team and the right coach. I hope we the the one.

20. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I think Dwight in Houston is the best possible scenario for both Dwight and Houston. I know Dwight has had plenty of issues with perception of his personality and his apparent jokester/clown demeanor. I know that he in the past couldn't make up his mind about where he wanted to be and I believe ultimately opted in to his last year in Orlando because of fan pressure and genuinely wanting to please as many people as possible.

I saw that his trade to the Fakers fit well with the NBA's system of always supporting big name players going to the big media markets. I think that the best thing for Dwight and for the NBA was his trade to the Fakers not working out well and Dwight ultimately feeling that it was in his best interest to move on to a REAL TEAM, one that offered him the best opportunity to regain his proper position among the NBA elite while offering the best chance at success while pursuing championships with a true team that is trying to accomplish the ultimate goal while working within the CBA and the rules, unlike the LA Lakers who think that just because they can afford to pay $60-100 million in luxury tax bills every year that it makes it ok to cheat the system and try to buy championships by trying to overpay for talent instead of build a real, talented team that can work together to win it all. The Lakers, like the Yankees, deserve to overpay and spend way too much to not win it all in hopes that it someday teaches them a lesson as to how to play within the rules and try to build a quality basketball team without overpaying for underachievers work within the system that all the other teams adhere to.

I hope the Lakers never win anything again and watch the Rockets compete for and win multiple championships while functioning within the rules of the CBA for the next years. *UCK THE LAKERS!!!! THEY DESERVE MEDIOCRITY FOR ETERNITY