1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[What We Lack] Facilitators on Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

*terrible* thread, took it down to 2 stars myself....

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Morey is the talent solves everything and I know McHale isn't. Morey definitely prefers acquiring talent before building chemistry. Once Morey has the core set, he will be less willing to mess with the rotation. Morey is definitely against building chemistry among bad players at the expense of acquiring good players and then building chemistry.

On McHale, he's the head coach. He is the guy that oversees the development of the team and doesn't appear to be as involved with the x's and o's as a traditional head coach. He needs good offensive and defensive coordinators. He may meddle too much with the offense, though. I've been happy with player development under McHale.

3. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

he was inconsistent yes , but who on our gives us what he had ? ....im personally glad he is gone. but that is because of his price and what trading him opened up for us. But you serilously wouldnt take that production at say 3 million dollars ?

I think lakers are just doing a masterful tanking job to keep that top 5 protected pick. they are a true dumpster fire. Lin will not succeed there because of that , and Scotts stupid views on 3pt shooting , which is killing the spacing and lin specializes in penetrating to the rack , which is hard to do with no spacing. '

i dont think he is amazing , or a great player . But not as bad as you guys make him out to be. We didn't trade lin because he couldn't play , we traded him because of his large contract.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ginobili is an elite facilitator.

Movement offense requires good offensive coaching and smart players.

The lesson I learned from the JVG-McGrady era is that having only one play maker, no matter how elite that guy is, does not give you good offense. Do you guys remember what this board was wishing for in those days? A THIRD creator (the second being Rafer Alston).

5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Exactly. The Spurs take journeyman cast offs and have them play true motion offense. The system itself acts as facilitator.

6. jedicro

jedicro Member

For those saying that the Spurs are the ideal that we should imitate. Zach Lowe mentioned this article in his latest piece and I thought it was interesting.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/10/16/measuring-ball-and-player-movement/

TL;DR Different players are good at different things. The Rockets offense may not be the prettiest, but it was actually rated higher than the Spurs last year. Why? Because our players are very good at what they do.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Parsons is actually not that great a facilitator in the half court. He's very good at the transition. And, yeah, the pump fake thing somehow mysteriously worked.

8. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

While we do miss Parsons offensive skills . Assuming the ariza we have seen thus far is the one we will continue to get. In a either/or situation id take Ariza. Last year we crying for a 3 that could give us Perimeter D , Now we are asking for a 3 who can create. I think our offense will be fine , not perfect , but still good. Defense matters more in the big picture.

9. jedicro

jedicro Member

One thing I will always thank Parsons for is teaching me the pump-fake. I have almost no jump-shot, no handles, and I'm like DMo on the glass, but god-damn if I can't pump fake some fools out of their shoes.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good read. Thanks for the link.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

probably why there is smoke around him trying to acquire rondo/rubio. they would make us elite.

12. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

This is becoming a serious pet peeve of mine.

"JUST DO WHAT THE SPURS DID" is not a ****ing strategy in the NBA. They have one of the best coaches and best power forwards of all time. When you get those two elements on board with your team, then you can adopt that stategy. Until then, STFU.

1 person likes this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They also have a top class PG in Tony Parker, and loads of experience.

14. jedicro

jedicro Member

Plus pretty much every player on their team has extremely high BBIQ. You can't expect Jones to be able to pass in the high post like Diaw, Duncan, or Splitter do.

15. basketballholic

After 2 games against lottery teams our team assist/turnover ration is 1.25. That's too low a ratio when combined with our team FG% and FT% for us to be a contender.

16. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I think that's kind of the point I was making? Spurs draft, sign, and trade for high BBIQ, not necessarily talent. Makes it easier to plug guys into their system, because the guys they bring in "get" it.

Granted, that strategy probably wouldn't work as well if Duncan didn't fall into their lap, but I made that same point earlier.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

A sixth man to lead the bench when neither Harden or Howard are on the floor? That's the way it's looking to me.

I don't want to give up Pap, and whovever this third guy is, needs to be able to shoot as well as Terry.

Daniels went cold in the finals, as he has now. Still has to earn trust. I hope this isn't a pattern for him, ie just another inconsistent shooter.

18. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

im sure pop would loooove to get his hands on big papa.

19. Hwon

Hwon Member

Part of the problem is that Harden and Howard are so good that they coverup a lot of the bad tendencies in how the Rockets run their offense. For example, start paying attention to the shot clock and how long it takes for the Rockets to take a meaningful action to make the defense move. The lack of time management often leaves them with just 5-6secs before they have to fallback to an iso play. The Spurs by contrast waste no time looking for opportunities to move the ball and shift the defense to create open shots.

1 person likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

why do people think teams can just play like the spurs. its not that simple. it's their system and works for them.