1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What We Have Been Missing ???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by javal_lon, Nov 12, 2010.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

We havent had a true PF since Otis Thorpe....What I mean by this is a throw-back power forward...A poward forward usually represents the individual is a absolute dominant physical specimen..Someone that sets the tone defensively in the paint...(Dale Davis, Kevin Willis, Rasheed Wallace to name a few)Most great shot-blockers had a physical frontcourt mate along with them...I ask you my brethren "Who is da hell is scared of Scola,defensively??"....Secondly although Rafer Alston threw up more bricks than your average carpenter...he got the Rockets into their offensive sets quickly ...and defensively he never allowed his man to go where the hell they wanted to go....Thats why I like the idea of trading Scola for a legitimate defensive big man (Josh Smith)...and Brooks for a real pt.guard (Lawson/Conley Jr)...of course there are other aspects into completing a trade (salary matchups, trade assets).......But look here mane!!! WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING!!!!!

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wins !

DD

3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Picking a player like Josh Smith to make your comparison to Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Charles Oakley, or Rasheed is laughable.

4. makman

makman Member

Rafer was solid on D? How many games did you watch? He was decent at best. There was solid team D back then and it covered for him. The game isn't played with throwback pfs anymore, and Josh Smith def isn't one of them, he's just a high flyer. Think about it logically you trade Scola and you lose the most consistent, hardest working Rocket. As far as AB, never liked him esp not as a starter and hope he's gone soon.

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

wasnt saying Josh Smith compares to the throwbacks........I was just saying we need a more defensive minded mindset at those two positions.......The game has transformed into this playground B.S... and its seems we only trying to outscore folks.......

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It is if you dont understand what the hell I was saying.......

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

/Suicide

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I agree...Scola is consistent....But what good is Scola if he scores 23 pts a game but gives up 30 and aint blocking a shot or two...Hell he not even physical enough to use the 6 fouls the NBA allows him to use

9. anchel

anchel Member

Rafer was a very good defender at his position. He contributed to form that solid team D.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

11. makman

makman Member

Maybe against the lower rated pgs of the league but he would get torched all the time most memorably against Nash. That was JVG, and he had to play D or else there really wasn't anything else he was doing.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Based on your post, shouldn't you say the Rockets haven't had a true power forward since Kevin Willis since he was on the team after Thorpe?

13. makman

makman Member

I agree with that, but I put that on the coaching staff who should find ways to give him help against the better pfs. His pick and roll D is terrible and that's all on him he always sags off.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Rafer didnt back down from anyone....Therefore he may not have been a defensive stalwart, but he set a tone defensive ...of course Nash lit him up....who didnt Nash light up???...He didnt shy away from contact like Brooks does...he would run through the picks just to let them know he was there .....unlike brooks

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

WOW....didnt know there was a post monitor on here...Next time I will be sure to put everything in chronological order for you sir......Heres one now ...pucker up....Now kiss my azz........just kiddin mane....

16. makman

makman Member

If were comparing Rafer to Brooks, Rafer is 1st team all D. But I don't think he was better than Lowry defensively (last years version).

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

A true superstar. Someone that can carry the load.

19. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

saw Deke's pic.

Why Deke was so damn great at age 40? His rebounding and defense was unbelievable.

20. AggieRocketsFan