1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What we each learned from Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, May 16, 2018.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It's all about the shot clock. Get the ball to the arc with time to start cutting, driving, and passing. See what that opens up. When we run the clock down early, Harden goes into "I gotta get up a shot" mode.

2. HookemHorns1250

Start our offense earlier in the shot clock.

3. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

our best five man unit is CP3, Harden, Ariza, EG and PJ, this lineup is more than enough to counter their so called Hampton 5 lineup, we just need to play with more energy like tonight, and also, we need the other guys like clint, luc or green or anybody who steps out on the court to have a great game and swing this series into our favor

MyLateRegistration and hakeem94 like this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Nothing has changed for me. I always thought we would have to win at least one away game and I stand by my pre-series comment that if EG has a better game than Klay, we win. If it goes the other way, we lose.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Adjustments ARE important. Despite the coach and players statements, the team did make changes (didn't go to Capela, moved ball more, players cut, initiated offense sooner). So what does that mean for Game 3? I'd like to see the coach and team make a few new changes. You know Kerr will make adjustments to focus more on Gordon, Ariza and PJ. So I'd look at the possibility of Anderson and Johnson getting some PT. I'd keep the ball moving but the idea of IsoJoe and Ryan spotting up would make GSW have to react again. Getting your opponent react and make courtside adjustments gives you the upper hand (as it did last night).

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I thought the "additional attackers," Gordon & Ariza, on the court with Harden and Paul really caused GSW some confusion on defense. When the Rockets had 4 players putting the ball on the floor that really caved in the GSW defense.

Ariza really played like Iggy last night. He put the ball on the floor and had 6 assists. Not sure he can keep that up, but I thought that was huge to open things up a bit and keep GSW off balance.

Yeah, the team looks better when Tucker and Gordon are hitting those 3's. /Captain Obvious.

MyLateRegistration and hakeem94 like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're right, but will or can they show up? Ryan did get 12 points against the Wolves in his first playoff game. That's suggestive of lack of mental strength and confidence. JJ is just too slow out there.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I think in Game 1, Harden and CP3 kind of lost sight of what makes our ISO-heavy offense so ruthlessly efficient: When those two guys go ISO, they draw the defense away from everyone else. Guys are cheating off their man or leaning the wrong way, which leaves our shooters open and ready.

In Game 1, the Warriors did a great job early in closing out on our shooters once our ISO guys passed it out, and from that point on, Harden and CP3 seemed to get into the mindset that they needed to score it themselves every time they were in ISO. When that happened, we were toast.

The ISO is deadly because the two guys who run it for us are: 1) all-world passers 2) with elite court vision 3) who can ALSO score at or near the rim. When all they do is try to score, that removes #1 and #2 from the equation and becomes much easier to defend.

9. Pete the Cheat

Agree to an extent. They eliminated the Harden/Capela PnR in game 1 and we didn’t adjust. Game 2 we adjusted with small ball and more spacing. Ball movement as a byproduct

MyLateRegistration and saleem like this.
  10. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

• Rockets defensive energy and awareness was through the roof.
    • We did a good job of sticking to the back cutters.
    • Clint played with a ton more minutes - this was good.
    • We surprised them with our own back cuts, which is not normal.
    • Iso was shared largely with EGo when Looney was switched on him. Better success than Cp3 and Harden iso-ing Looney for some reason.
    • EGo's iso game is different than Harden's and Cp3. Relies on quickness and more decisive. This needs to be more of a regular option.
    • Cp3 was tons more calm and decisive in Game 2 than Game 1.
    • We threw the first punch that set the tone.
    • Ariza played amazing on-man D on KD. KD got picked twice by him - one of them was a cleannnnn snatch but called foul. I'm convinced - Brothers/Foster getting him in foul trouble in Game 1 was blatantly designed.
    • Cp3 and Harden played great in the passing lanes, particularly in the paint.
    • Harden needs to do a better job of not getting blown by. It's just a little too easy. If he's gonna let him blow by, it needs to be into our helper.
    • Steph figured out how to attack Clint on the drive successfully.
    • GSW did a really good job closing out on the wings in Game 1, not so much in Game 2. Same thought... play faster when David West is in / make him rotate.
    • Draymond still doing a really good job on boxing out Clint. Would love to see Tucker and Draymond match up under the basket. Dog fight waiting to happen.
    • The refs are more than willing to protect the golden boys - Steph and KD - in Houston. This is not going to get better for us in Oracle...
    • Going at Steph every chance we get on offense is what we should keep doing all series. Whistles galore waiting for him in Oracle, but they need to stick to this gameplan.
    • Steph resorted to flopping a little earlier than I expected.
    • Luc needs more trash time to get his layup game going. If not, we can still use him as bait b/c he can drive and beat his man with success.

saleem likes this.
  11. Remlap

Remlap Member

For sure. He missed like 4 layups in Game 1.
    Would have been at least an 8 pt difference. That means would have been neck and neck most of 3rd Q
    instead of slight edge to GS

12. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

my only concern is the extended layoff. I hope the Rockets don't need another "fire" lit...because game 1 should have been it.

13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Rockets looked tired?

14. rocks123

rocks123 Member

Well they have to WORK MORE for a win as compare to their minny and jazz series. Same with GSW. remember harden had an injury scare in the first game and second game chris was limping. Steph also suddenly isnt 100 percent.

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

1-Curry will get worked to the ground defensively this series...win or lose that girl ain’t recovering form this abuse.

2- joe Chee wears cheap suits

3- Ryno is schedule for euthanasia

16. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Confidence is key. Big Thicc Tuck and EG played with confidence in game 2 and look what happened.

This time is full of confidence on D. They believe they can stop the Warriors and game 2 was proof of that. I think g1 was kind of jitters and the typical feeling each other out game. Will be fun to see what happens going forward.

17. smp

smp Member

I figured I would look back at last year a bit. Same things happened this year. We didn’t learn anything.

topfive likes this.