1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What we each learned from Game 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, May 16, 2018.

1. nomiz1987

nomiz1987 Member

we need to continue playing with motion offence. the warriors expected our shooters to stick to the 3 point line but we threw in a few back door cuts and some motion that really ripped apart the warrior's defense in game 2. start the play with iso's than throw in some movement.

Ariza had a dunk which came from beautiful ball movement, he was at the top of the key when the ball was thrown to him, warriors defense were scrambling and he was pretty much left open. He had the option of hitting that open 3 but he had so much space in the lane he went in for the 2 handed dunk. Because the guy on him was was confused as **** as to either close out on his 3 pointer or stay in the lane to cut the extra pass he might have made, the defender was pretty much in no man's land trying to decide what to do. In the end Ariza had an open lane to the hoop.

2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It's quite possible Luc Mbah a Moute won't contribute anything this series.

Sorry. His shoulder dun bumfuzzled him

MyLateRegistration likes this.
  3. PeppermintCandy

The thing that gave me the most hope about this game was that the Rockets didn't do anything extraordinary. Sure, their intensity was amazing, but they didn't have to change their style of play. They just played their game and got a very convincing win.

Just keep this up, stay focused, and this series is theirs.

DavidRocket, dje243, topfive and 2 others like this.
  4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Ive said since December these guys create open shots for everyone. If we can knock down the open shot we can beat anyone. That includes GSW, Boston, and Cleveland.

We got a commanding lead even with the piss poor officiating

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Kerr is relying HEAVILY on his starting unit. He feels we are a threat and he needs to play his elite lineup majority of the game. What we need to do is punish this lineup and get them tired. Make them run on fumes.

If Curry is not 100% then it means no mercy. Attack him all series and when given a chance,

Sweep the leg.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

1. The high flying shooting touch won't be with the team every night, so we are not going to get over 120 points every night.
    2. Move the ball often with care. Shoot it WHENEVER there is an open look. I moaned when I saw Harden in a possession hesitated for a split of a second and lost a shooting chance.
    3. Defense, fight for board, loose ball, steals. When we pushed the Worriors to around 100 points per games, we have a very decent chance to knock them out of the series.

Go Rockets!

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Somehow you overlooked ball movement

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

The key for the Rockets is coming out with energy. We were much active today than Game 1, which is why we were closing out on shooters way better (especially Klay Thompson) and executing our offense better. We were an actual threat in the transition game and role players weren't just watching Harden or Paul try to manufacture a play. At times, we looked like the team that dropped 50 in the 3rd quarter on Minny. It's scary to think that not even Golden State can stop us when we're dialed in.

The good news is we have a death lineup of our own -- the "Tuck-wagon Lineup", and it completely destroyed the Warriors' own death lineup.

Tucker, Ariza, Gordon, Harden, and Paul

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...iors-game-2-their-own-death-lineup/618223002/

Here's the problem going forward, our death lineup doesn't include Clint Capela. I am NOT comfortable giving a maximum contract to a player who can't even be part of our best lineup, and in the Moreyball era, it would be massively inefficient to give a max player to someone who does not shoot at all. How is that working with the Cavs and Tristan Thompson? These types of players are FAR easier to replace than Harden and Paul -- players that actually deserve a max contract.

If we're obsessed with beating the Warriors, we simply cannot invest heavily in players that don't play a major role in us defeating them. Capela in our best game vs the Warriors all year only gave us 5 points, 10 rebounds, 0 blocks, 3 turnovers, only took 3 shots, and went 1-5 from the free throw line. We can find better options in free agency/trade than that.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yep that's always been my take on k.d. hell every warriors player klay n curry. They don't like driving they get in love with the jumper. Driving to the rim changes everything. I just hope they don't figure that out

10. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

It's all part of the grand plan. We're saving them for the Finals.

11. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

-Luc wont be a factor
    -GG shouldnt be getting minutes, but there is no better alternative ATM
    -We should use the tuckwagon line up more
    -Capela has to be mentally in it every minute on the court.Seems like hes either thinking too much or there is too much to think about. i think its the latter.
    -Do exactly what u did to klay the rest of the way....stcik to him and make him dribble, and find him in transition
    -Keep attacking stephanie relentlessly
    -The refs are keep giving GS 3 phantom calls a game

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Curry is so confidently saying he's physicaly 100% at the press conferences as if he doesn't want to look weak. But he's getting his as* handled to him by Harden each and every night. And all those extra thicc bumps here and there or on the screens... I SEE YOU PJ. He will probably have a night were his threes are falling but right now it looks like letting Durantula do his thing and bothering splash brothers is the key on defense. Let him have those midranges, let him get exhaust on the defensive end.

Game at Oracle will be big and it can be momentum shifter, because gsw will come out to make a statement and if worriers lose loose that one they will be all in pampers. For now they little concerned but with 2 losses in a row it will be like cracked surface on their confidence. Steph got his crack already, if another one of the big 4 gets it we will be in great spot

Zaza concerns me. He tried to injure Harden. I will go as far as saying D'Antoni should send out some scrub bully in type of Tarik Black to take care of him next time he hits the floor. Or maybe NeNe since he is a non factor and is a BJJ master :D

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I learned PJ THICCER can post up DPOY dray no problem!

MyLateRegistration and RudyTBag like this.
  14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Off the ball movement was what i have been calling for for months. Did you see how the Warriors couldn't defend us when we got that going ?

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I didn't learn much from tonight.

Despite what the media tells me, I knew that Steph Curry is by far one of - if not the - worst defender in the NBA by far.

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

it was a secret weapon saved for the emergency situation like this

BigShasta likes this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Their bench right now is just...nothing...they have nothing on that bench, especially when Nick Young becomes Nick Young again instead of Rocket-killer extroidanaire.

Kerr might be better off starting Looney, McGee, or Zaza just to try to balance out the rotations a bit. If not, got a feeling the Rockets are going to keep taking advantage of the "Hamptons 5."

18. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Tuck-wagon lineup matches well with Hampton Five.
    GG can match Nick Young
    Capela can dominate their big.
    Luc/Ryno matches Livingston/West

We got a very good chance to overthrow them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

they will adjust. expect fewer fast break chances and open 3's

this is the game Harden will need to drive drive and drive and iso tbh. They will stick to Gordon and Tucker like glue. Harden will likely not get any help defense

20. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

I learnt to hate these media pundits. The narratives never end. When the Rockets lose to the Warriors, the Rockets are inferior to the Warriors. When the Rockets blow the you-know-what off of the the Warriors, it's not the Rockets that won, but the Warriors were not focused because they are the champions. When are these knuckleheads media going to stop this foolishness? I guess never. Even when we win this series, the narratives from these media writers and talking-heads will still be that the Warriors were just bored. That will be fine with me because all I care about is that the Rockets win, and for that matter, the Warriors and the media can take their sorry boredom and drown in any lake but Lake Victoria.

topfive likes this.