1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the purpose of waiving Torreye Braggs for Alton Ford

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsd59, Nov 29, 2003.

1. jsd59

jsd59 Member

I think the rockets are letting a good player slip away.Alton Ford doesn't show me the aggressiveness that braggs brought to the team or the toughness to bang in the middle.i think that was the wrong move.... bring Torreye back....

2. sweetie

sweetie Member

Eddie Griffin will be better than both of them if he gets clean.Its also to early to bash Ford. He probably is timid about making a mistake since he is new. Give him time. Braggs missed open layups so he is replaceable.

3. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Who hasn't?

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

And who isn't?

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

"Alton Ford doesn't show me the aggressiveness that braggs brought to the team or the toughness to bang in the middle."

Did you watch the game last night?

Ford knocked the ever loving Hell out of a guy and received a flagrant for it. That was the single most aggressive move I have seen a Rocket make all year. He also dropped in 7 points and picked up quite a few boards in the short time he was in. The guy is a physical beast in the middle. He hasn't been around long enough to know much of the system yet, but he still showed me more in 2 quarters to believe he will be a good addition to the team.

I am a Braggs fan and I hope we bring him back, but to say Ford is not as aggressive or tough is completely ridiculous.

6. SLA

SLA Member

haha great explanation :D I like both of them but it really doesn't matter...they don't impact our team or anything. Either one will do. I wonder where Braggs is..and how are Terence Morris and Jason Collier doing?

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Ford only took 6 shots, but he made half of them. He also snagged 5 boards. Not bad for his first game of the season.

I liked Braggs, but Ford doesn't look bad so far.

Of course, if they were to play against a ninja, they would both suffer humiliating defeat because ninjas are the shiznit.

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Sadly, I would have to agree. You can't stop a ninja. I think Ford has the strength to toy with a ninja for a short time, but in the end I think he would burn out and the ninja would probably prevail. Ninjas learn very quickly, and I suspect Alton would be at a disadvantage in this area.

I think he would whip a pirate pretty good though. Pirates are tough, but they are dumb. Alton Ford wins a battle of wits against most pirates, and he is certainly stronger, more physical, and more cunning as well.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

But Ford shows the size and skills to play NBA post defense.

10. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I think the keeping Ford over Braggs was more a PR thing since he is from H-town and all.

In any case what does it matter?

11. mos-def

mos-def Member

hmmm, your analysis of the battle between alton and a ninja was spot on, but i would have to question the alton/pirate debate.

sure, pirates my be lacking in court vision, basketball IQ, and all around intelligence, but then theres the hook. plus, the parrot could fly around and peck at altons eyes. very troublesome. alton would lose, no offense to alton, pirates are tough.

i think alton could most likely take batman. i mean, essentially batman is just a guy with a bunch of toys, and he couldn't use those in an nba regulateion game...alton would win easy.

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I agree with your pirate analysis, but I don't think Alton could take Batman either. First of all, he's got the kevlar. Second of all, he's absurdly rich so he could bribe the refs, just like the Lakers do. Besides, he's got good intelligence and court vision.

However, on the topic of ninjas, I think Alton could in facg beat one of the ninja turtles. If they couldn't use their weapons those 3 fingered hands would be too tough to shoot with... Alton would win easily.

13. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

i dunno.. if that were true, we would have signed rasheed

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

My guess is that they feel Ford has more of an upside. He's only 22 and has about 70 games of NBA experience. Alton would be a senior this year had he stayed in school.

Braggs is already 27 and until this year had no NBA-level play. I like the guy's hustle and lack of fear, but he probably won't get a whole lot better than he is now.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Good points on Batman. The Ninja Turtles, however, may have the three big fingers, but they're still NINJAS, for God's sake. Obviously they're going to be quicker than Alton. And have you ever tried to body up a guy with a shell? Good luck, brother.

One guy I think Alton could take is Andre the Giant. Sure, Andre was over 7 feet tall, but he had no hops whatsoever. Much slower than Alton, too. The best Andre could do is probably box out well and hope the rebounds came down in his favor where he could go right back up. I think Alton would humiliate the poor guy.

16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So far, we have determined that Alton Ford can beat the following:

Pirates
    Ninja Turtles
    Andre the Giant

I would also suggest that Ford could beat the following:

The Power Rangers

The Ambiguously Gay Duo (although Ace and Gary might inadvertantly freak out Ford the way Rodman used to freak out Mourning)

Aquaman (what is he going to do? tell a goldfish to get the rebound)

Rambo

All in all, Ford seems like a good pickup to me.

17. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Indeed, the Ninja Turtles are still ninjas and thus are absolutely the shiznit.

Alton would still have some trouble with Andre the Giant, however, simply because Andre died a few years back. I don't believe that Alton has the proper legal education to go through the process of getting Andre's remains exhumed, and thus, would be tied up in court battles for years attempting to do so. Thus, the requisite 48 minutes of game time would long pass by before Alton could even challenge Andre and any challenges by Alton would therefore be meaningless.

Assuming Andre was alive, I still don't think it would be a favorable match for Alton. I mean, come on! This is Fezzik from "The Princess Bride". He could take on 10 armed castle guards (60 with a wheelbarrow and a holocaust cloak).

Now, maybe Alton could handle Gary Coleman.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Coleman presents a real size mismatch for Alton though.

While Alton is bear like strong, Gary Coleman has midget quickness that can't be taken lightly. If Coleman were to take out one of Alton's knees, for example, he could quickly scurry over to the ball in quick little steps and take a free shot. Of course the bucket would seem like a Redwood tree to Coleman, but if he put all of his dwarf strength into it he could probably make it to the rim. Once this happens, gravity has a way of taking it's course, and it is entirely possible that the ball could fall through the net.

I still think Alton takes Coleman though. There are too many variables that need to fall into place before Coleman has a legitimate shot at beating Alton Ford.

19. The Fever

The Fever Member

One word on why they kept Ford over Braggs: UPSIDE.

Granted, Eddie's upside was huge, and look at him. Sometimes it is better to keep what is presently good over what could potentially be good in the future. With the problems we have at the 4, a good arguement could be made to keep T.B. around.

20. famicom

famicom Member

I dont think he could beat Rocky...he would end up getting too tired like Mr. T