1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Man I wish Lew, Mitch and even John Lucas wouldn't have gotten into drugs. What a team.

2. TheSummit

TheSummit Member

:rolleyes: yea sure, because I didn't root for the Tennessee Oilers when they left. I understand that you don't like fans looking down on others, but don't generalize when you don't know what you are talking about.

If the rockets moved, I would be hurt, but I would definately root for them until we got a new team. As I did with the Oilers and Texans.

3. demon77

demon77 Member

There will be some that will root for the Roxs for many reason, but the majority of the houston fan (that are not YOF) will stop supporting them if it were to move to Vancouver.

Check the Seattle forum poll on real gm:

http://www.realgm .com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=725581

A clear majority won't give a dman about the team if it gonna move to Oklahoma.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great thread and I love reading all of the stories about people got into the Rox. Its also really interesting to see the age range on this thread. You got people who have followed the Rox back since they were the San Diego Rockets and people who talk about back in the day when Francis got drafted.

Like a lot of people my first NBA experience was with my dad when he took me to go see the Rox at the Summit playing the Lakers. I don't remember much about the game but that was when Magic Johnson was a rookie and my dad wanted to see the rookie phenom. I wasn't into sports much then and didn't know any of the players except for Magic, Kareem and Calvin Murphy since my dad talked about them. I started to get into basketball during the Phi Slamma Jamma years but still didn't get into the NBA even when Dream and Sampson were drafted. I remember one day sitting at home watching the Rockets playing the Pistons in 1985 and I just really got into the game and since then I've been a die hard fan. Of course it really helped that the next year the Rockets went to the championship.

5. luisantonio1014

ever since I was little, I remember watching rockets games cause they always came on. Back when Hakeem was in his prime, I loved watching him. Being from Houston, I'm a fan of every Houston sports team.

6. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Actually it was Hakeem & Ralph, the old twin towers. The first few years, Ralph complimented Hakeem then Akeem well but after the Celtic debacle in 86 finals it seemed to go downhill for Ralph quickly. Yep, since 85 been bleeding Rocket Red.

7. pongd

pongd Member

born & raised in houston. and just love how this team relates to the city. we love our big men...and we love our basketball...

8. southtexan

southtexan Member

Back in the day of Bobby Joe Reid, Mo Malone, Calvin Murphey, David Henderson, Billy Paultz (sp), Allen Leavell, the Rockets used to have a promotion buy one get one free, then Phi Slama Jama and the dream Olajuwon, that's how I became a fan and have been a fan ever since. Does it sound like I'm an old man?

9. southtexan

southtexan Member

^

Buy one ticket get the other ticket for free, that's what I was attemting to say.

10. buddry

buddry Member

11. Badrose

Badrose Member

Back in the late 70' I was a teenager who loved everything related to science and sci-fi, but most of all I was a huge fan of a group (music) called The Rockets (silver faces, robotic moves, "future" sound), very popular in Europe and especially in Italy where I live. Then I started my interest in NBA basketball and when I saw a team called Rockets I felt in love immediatly for them.

I went to Houston from Italy just to see the Rockets playing against the Knicks and capturing the first NBA title. I think in those days I was the happiest man in the world. First time in the U.S. and with my beloved Rockets winning the NBA title.

12. bungle

bungle Contributing Member

i was 9 years old and remember listening to gene peterson screaming when ralph sampson hit that shot against the lakers. loved them ever since (and still turn on the radio when i watch the game when i can)

13. hamlet

hamlet Member

Yao for sure :D

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Well, one of my uncles lives in Houston (Sugarland) (although I have family in Dallas and other parts of the US) and when I started playing basketball )since 1993, when I had 9 years old) in school and get interested in NBA, I liked the Houston Rockets, I dont know if that was the first team I saw, but it was the first NBA game I saw live was in oct 1993, was a preseason game, here in Mexico City: Houston Rockets vs New York Knicks (who tought that matchup will be the NBA finals in that season).

15. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I remember a late night watching a playoff game the Rockets had versus the Sonics.

I was all baseball then and I came home tired from a game in the Houston, Texas heat. Went to bed early. Woke up in time and saw a playoff game...I actually remember vaguely anything else but I do remember that after the game, they showed Olajuwons stat line and it was like:

48pts 20something rebounds and like 8 blocks or something that crazy.

I remember I was falling asleep and just thought to myself...is he better than Michael Jordan?

That is a true story. And since then, I have loved the Rockets. LOVED. LOVE. LOVE!...the Rockets.

And Dream is the best player I have ever seen. And I love Jordan also. But lets be real here...

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

my town.

my team.

17. sale138571

sale138571 Member

YAO +TMAC+BOONZE

18. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

1, 2, & 3 are all the same thing to me, but i voted for hakeem anywyz b/c i gotta show him some love!!!

19. zagy

zagy Member

WE LOVE STEVE!
    DO LET ME SEE HIM!

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

The result of the poll is quite surprising. I didn't think Hakeem/local-team/first-team-I-saw choices(all of which amounts to basically the same thing) to not even make up half the responses. :eek: :eek:

Personally, I've always rooted for the hometown team. When the Oilers left, I stopped giving a damn about them. And despite the fact that the Texans has continously disappointed me, I still root for them because they're from Houston.

I've tried rooting for other teams. Basketball-wise during dribble-mania era when Rockets games were simply painful to watch, and football between the time Oilers left and Texans started. But just never could find much interest in other teams.