1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

RPD...?
    anyone?

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I know that I said earlier that the reason for me starting to like the Rockets was because of Olajuwon, but I was just joking.

My real reason for liking the Rockets was Rick Adelman. I became an Adelman fan after watching his first 2 seasons as a player on the old San Diego Rockets team. Imagine my joy when he became our coach - it is the like the circle of life was complete!

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

that sounds like me and my children minus the pork skins

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

1993, I was seven, and I was watching a Rockets game. Horry had one of those tomahawk jams, and the play-by-play guy goes "Robert Horry just FLEW through the air!" I literally remember it like it was yesterday. I ran into my parents room and jumped on their bed and excitedly told them that I just saw a basketball player FLY. From then on I loved Horry, my parents didn't understand, but they later bought me his jersey.

I cried for hours when the trade went down for Barkley. I still remember the exact screenshot of the TV when they showed Bob along with Sam, Chucky, and Mark Bryant as who we were giving up to get CB. I remember crying while clutching my Horry jersey. Damn, I was really obsessed...

I was so mad at the Rockets, I only paid attention to the playoffs until '99. I had loved Stevie at Maryland and was ecstatic we were going to get him. This is when the REAL obsession started. The internet-forum-scouring to try and convince fans of other teams that STEVE deserved ROtY over Brand, blah blah blah. I broke a few things watching games, my parents even tried to put a cap on how many games I could watch. They thought it wasn't natural for a suburban girl to have posters of "a bunch of pictures of sweaty black men" adorning my room (I had a 3-year subscription to SLAM). My parents hate sports, but at least they sometimes cheer for the Rockets for my sake.

So yeah, the REAL psycho-obession was when Stevie came to the team. I could say Horry, but I don't feel as much love for him now than I did. Still love Steve with all my heart though. :p

5. cyrilm

cyrilm New Member

What about the TWIN TOWERS? I didn't see an option for that... If Ralph Sampson didn't get hurt, we might have had a few more banners hanging up in the rafters!

6. WildSweet&Cool

That was way back around 1980 to 1983.... In the days of Moses Malone, The Whopper, Rudy T, Calvin Murphy, Robert Reid, Rick Berry, Allen Leavell, and Mike Dunleavy.

I was about 12 years old.

7. CLbros

CLbros Member

I'm a basketball fan overall first. I'm actually a huge Purdue fan and since the Rox have Landry...that's what kinda makes me a Rox fan

8. StanleyHartwell

because of Mike James

9. TMilner

TMilner Member

Phi Slamma Jamma

I lived near the UH campus during those exciting days, caught the Akeem/Clyde fever and have watched 95% of the televised games ever since. Even when we lived in New Orleans for 12 years (before the Hornets), the Rockets were games were on cable over there, and I kept the spirit. ;)

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Actually I've been a fan since they got the #1 pick in 1968. Wow I remember it like it was yesterday.

11. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Grew up in Houston, I didn't even like basketball or know anything about it until the championship years. I was like 7 or 8. And I grew up watching them ever since. I love the Rockets! No matter who is on the team.

12. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Became a huge Charles Barkley fan when I was a kid. Early in his first season with Phoenix when he faced off with Shaq (when he tore down the basket) was the first basketball game I had ever seen on television. Followed Chuck to Houston and have been a Rockets fan ever since.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hakeem the dream converted me to the rockets.

14. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I moved from new york city to houston around 2002, i was a big time knicks fan, i felt i had to be loyal to them, but it was the same time rockets drafted yao, and being an asian american myself, i switched and have been a happy rockets fan ever since.

still a mets fan thou :cool:

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My God, you are a born loser!

:p

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

My dad followed the team during the twin towers era and I followed along with him, watched them throughout the Dream era, even have all the old VHS tapes I recorded for the playoffs in their 2 championship years. I followed them ever since, although my interest waned during the post Dream era, and picked up again when we got Yao and then TMac.

17. Tracy McIverson

I think all Yao first or YOFs should have to post a symbol in their signature so all us lifelong fans will know who hasn't had to experience the same post-championship years hangover/agony that we have

18. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I was born in 1986.. I am chinese and yes, my family has all been Rockets fans long before Yao Ming came around. As long as I've remembered, I've watched the Rockets games with the fam... back to when Don Chaney still coached the Rockets and when Sleepy Floyd was still on the team.

What really put me over was obviously when we won the championships in 94 and 95 when I was 8/9 years old. When we lost the games in New York, I would run to my room and cry myself to sleep, lol. The whole town was happy and would be celebrating and the parades were fun as hell. That's when I became a die-hard fan and began following the Rockets religiously.

19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Don't know really.
    I'm a younger fan but I love the Rockets as noone around me :)
    I started watching basketball in 2005 and I had no favourite team,but when the playoffs finished that year I kinda simpatized Rockets.
    Don't know why,last season,this season I became and am DIEHARD ROX FAN ;)

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

a man name Hakeem I saw him at the impressionable age of 5 and he and the team havent left me since