1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I watched the 1992 playoff race. Even though the Rockets ended up in the lottery, I was hooked.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think a great deal of it is easily traced to what happened after we drafted Yao. (duh! I know it's pretty obvious) If you remember, we had around 3600 members at the time. A BIG number for a sports BBS. I finally stopped lurking and registered in March before we knew anything about the Big Fella, then we got the #1 pick, actually drafted Yao (not considered a sure thing at the time by the mentally challenged) and BOOM! We quickly doubled the number of members, and then doubled again. Obviously, most of the Yao fans don't post, but just read the board. And most of them haven't voted. If the members who are Old School Rockets Fans simply voted, the numbers would be far different, assuming the Yao fans keep sitting on their hands.

So I would suggest that all Old School Houstonians... Texans... and Rockets fans from around the country and the world, who go way back, get off their bottoms and vote. Simply based on the huge influx of Yao fans, the % could be a lot worse. If they aren't going to vote, then there is no excuse for not having a larger number of votes that reflect other reasons than Yao coming to the Rocks.

My three cents! ;)

3. explode211981

explode211981 Contributing Member

I was 8 or 9 early 90's b/f championship years. Ever since then I have listened (NBA audio league pass) to or watched (NBA League Pass) just about every game. I moved from Huston when I was 11 to Michigan so every year since I was 11 to now 27 I have gone to the Pistons Rockets game. This year I will be attending the game which will be on my anniversary so that's how big of a fan I am.