1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For the most part I have no problems with YOF but every now and then the overt amount of Yao fandom gets annoying. There are times where it seems like some Yao fans are upset unless Yao touches the ball on every single Rockets possession and shoots at least 90% of the shots. The other thing that gets annoying is the threads demanding that Yao be traded since the Rockets are holding him back.

I have nothing against people becoming Rockets' fans because of a particular player. That's great as long as its kept in perspective that this is a Rockets' board and not a board for a single player.

2. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Whoa... blown away by the results :eek:

I guess it makes sense with world demographics and all. I started watching the Rockets because of Hakeem (ok it had a little to do with the fact that I moved to Houston as well).

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what?! I thought this was Yaofans.net!

have you notice that the NBA Dish is turned into the Yifans.net?

I'm sad to see that we're not gonna be the Celtics, Lakers in terms of fans respecting their players and history. if you read the posts and not known what this place was, then you WOULDN'T think its a Rockets board.

I've never heard of Celtics fans bash Dennis Johnson or Larry Bird. Even newer fans of the Green have a great deal of respect and love for the ones that put the banners in the rafters. Bill Russell. Havlicek, Red.

Hopefully one day we'll get there. We'll get there Calvin, Rudy, Ralph, Vernon, Moses, Reid, Otis..

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I had this job in 1992 where I had to ride around with my boss for a several hours a week. He was a huge Rockets fan and would blast AM radio, both for games and talk shows during the season, and I had no choice but to listen. Gene Peterson's personality really got me into it. I was hooked. It didn't hurt that the Rockets won the title the next year- it really kept he ball rolling for me and turned me into a fanatic.

What's funny is that I wasn't a sports fan at all before this, and now I can't get enough of any sport. I'll even watch Cricket on the rare occasion it's on ESPN2. That Indian/Pakastaini rivalry is fierce!

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not really surprised figured that most of the results would be because of Yao, at least on the board and because I live in houston to be another big vote getter.

but hey i dont care how people became rocket fans as long as they're rocket fans (and not any player-only-fans)

6. YOF01

YOF01 Member

Certainly looked like the way to me in the begining. But it is really nice to read some of the posts/stories. Actually more like stories of lifes than lifes of sports fans. Very interesting. Great thread.

7. YOF01

YOF01 Member

Whats wrong with like a player therefore the team he plays for? :rolleyes:

8. Jake_B

Jake_B Member

Like most most fans, I became a fan because the Rockets are symbolic of NASA and Space Program. In fact I love it when the Rockets are the road I here the PA say "Houston, we got a problem!" That is so funny and original.

9. suxx0011

suxx0011 Member

10. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

I became a Houston Rockets fan after the 2nd. Championship when we were the 6th. seed and "The Dream" put the team on his shoulders during the playoffs and displayed one of the best performances by any player in the playoffs.(Also, he should have won the MVP that year!!!) Olajuwon made David Robinson-MVP that year- and Shaq look like rookies during the playoffs. Indeed, Hakeem is the best and most-talented center of all time! When we traded Francis for T-Mac, I stopped rooting for the Rockets because people blame Francis gameplay of keeping the Rockets from becoming a great team, but the case was he didn't have a good team around him to rely on, except for Rudy T's last season with us before leaving the team to fight cancer. When Rudy took a leave of abscence, Larry Smith took over, and he didn't know what the hell he was doing, and we missed the playoffs. Van Gundy took over the following year, and we made the playoffs. Francis put the team on his back during the first round. We could have took the first series from the Lakers if Jim Jackson would have hit the open 3 in the final seconds of Game 1, and the inexperience of Yao Ming and Mobley's inconsistency was the blame for us losing that year. Francis averaged over 19pts. 8rebs. 8assists, but people still hate on Steve Francis. To make a long strory shorter :D , I started back rooting for the Rockets when we got Francis back. Even though he's not the star player on this team ( not even the 2nd. option), I believe that Rafer's time is counting down, and Francis will be in the lineup very soon. The guy got alot of heart, but if he can change his ego, he can help us win our 3rd. Championship and become the elite team in the NBA!

11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

This post is very reminiscent of how I got into the Rockets.

Grew up in Houston, watched the rockets cuz Dad was a die hard fan, and been bleeding red ever since Sampson hit that unbelievable last second shot to beat the Lakers.

It's hard being a Rocket fan in land of the Lakers and Clippers. But our time is Yao!

12. elvis

elvis Member

I grew up in Houston. I watched the Astros lose every big game. I watched the Oilers lose every big game.

But then came June of 1994. Hakeem and Vernon Maxwell (the Madman!) delivered what no Houston Sports team had ever delivered -- a championship!

That was the moment the Rockets became my team for life. Because I knew after that -- no matter what the odds -- there was always a chance, there was always hope for a championship.

And hope my friends...that is the sports's fans elixer.

13. chaliniu

chaliniu New Member

Because of the Yao at first.

after familar with the team menber, i like the whole team.

14. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I first became a fan of the team, but now I am a fan of Yao only. :p

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

Another YOF :D

16. pumbum

pumbum Member

twin towers son! sampson and olajuwon

17. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

growing up I was the biggest Horry fan... I loved Dream just as much, but something about Horry really made me love the rockets!

18. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Bingo. Of course, I was only six so I doubt many here can either remember or have the proper apprecation for what the Coogs and Guy V (with E & Chaney) did to popularize basketball in Houston.

Ironically it was that legacy that was a big reason that the Phi Slamma Jamma guys decided to come here (with the exception of Dream). Rob, Clyde and Michael in particular went to UofH specifically to resurrect the legacy.

And Dream's history and familiarity with the city was probably a more significant reason for him staying with the Rox during the lean years than people realize.

19. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

With over a billion people in China, (T.V. and the Internet) of coarse the Yao fans out number us locals. Remember Shaq's complaints about the all-star voting online. But, I don't have any problems with Yao fans, they seem pretty fair. Not only that, a couple of titles and he might be working his way up to Hakeem Status. He got some nice moves, is a hard worker, and is humble. The fans that really work my nerves are the bias T-mac fans.(note: not all T-mac's fans are bias, only the ones that follow him from town to town thinking he's gonna be the next Jordan). I like T-mac, he got some great skills, he is a all-star, but he still learning and working to get to the top. Superman he is not, but a Houston Rocket he is. T-mac and Yao have my full support and all the fans who honestly root for the Rockets. BTW, We want to see Steve Francis!!!! We want Steve!!! We want Steve!!! Go Rockets!! It's Time!!!

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

born that way ;)