1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. bknow

bknow Member

Aside from highlight clips in the 90's i only started watching basketball in 2004/05 season and the rockets were the first full game i'd ever seen.

Basketball is only and will always be a minor sport in this country so theres virtuarlly no coverage of the nba on tv; although like most kids growing up in a country outside the states Michael Jordan was by default my favourite player.

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, I had no idea so many of you guys weren't Rockets fans before Yao.

3. justforfun1981

YOF, YOF, and YOF....
    Why do so many guys in this forum dicriminated the fans of yao?
    people love rockets because of yao, it's ok. just like you love rockets because of any other reasons.
    just upset that you guys you are more creditable just based on this.radiculous.

4. dsounG

dsounG Member

Because of TMac. I was an avid TMac fan before he came to Houston. Followed him ever since his Raptor days. Watching him pretty much brought me into basketball.

I was a Rockets fan before TMac came though, just not as big as now.

5. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

i was in 2nd grade when the Olajuwon chicken mcnugget commercial came on tv and i was instantly hooked.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Combination of love for Hakeem and the excitement of the championship years.

7. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

"Unbeat-tabul"

-Akeem

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

1) Watching Moses Malone play, work his butt off in the paint, and sweat like a fire hydrant had just busted open on his chin (I've never seen anybody sweat like him in my life).

2) Listening to Gene Peterson late at night call the Rockets game when I was an 8 or 9 year old when I should've been asleep instead. The nicknames like "Chicken Man" for Dunleavy and "The Whopper" for Paultz got me hooked as a kid. He may not have come up with them, I don't know, but it kept me interested. Houston will be losing an icon when he leaves the broadcast booth.

9. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

he could have been like Milo and called them "Paultzy" and "Dunleavy-y"

10. g1184

g1184 Member

I voted Adelman, but I rescind that decision.

I was a rockets fan because I grew up in Houston, but 100% support came after the Rockets showed they had an extremely capable front office.

Knowing your team is smart enough not to make Isiah Thomas / Scott Layden type decisions is #1 in my book.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I had a Dream :p

12. Jong

Jong Member

My father worked at the US Clark Air Base in the Phil and he'll bring home Stars and Stripes newspapers everyday. Because we didn't have TV then I can only read about Moses Malone (my father like him alot so I liked him too). Then Houston drafted Sampson and I was very excited because I remember them winning their first 2 games? then it was downturn from then on. During that time I was also following the games of the Phi Slamma Jamma (on newspapers only). I kept looking for how many points and rebounds Akeem had. Then the came the 84 draft, my father liked Michael Jordan, me I was and would always be an Akeem follower. From that time on, I've never missed a Rockets game (reading on the newspaper or watching some on TV). This is my 25th year as a Rockets fan and I loved every moment of it-those exciting years waiting for the potential of the Twin Towers, beating the Lakers at the '86 WCF, then the lows of losing to the Celtics, the following year to the Sonics and so many frustrating years in the late 80s, then the 90s was exciting again and at last the back to back championships, then those years after where it's painful to see my hero Hakeem start to fade, and now there's hope again with Yao and Tmac. Everyday after work, the first thing I do is check Clutchfans.net and I wish I'd be able to do that for the next 50 years.

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now that's a fan.

14. blender

blender Member

"I'll let you be in my Dream if I can be in yours" Bob Dylan said that.

15. hust

hust Member

all the rox players make me feel like we are a big family,that's why i'm a rkts' fan

16. kernel23th

kernel23th New Member

because of Yao

now all team

17. krayziefl

krayziefl Member

Tracy Mcgrady. simple as that.

18. Ducky

Ducky Member

because of the championship years

19. DCWCMT07

DCWCMT07 Member