1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. badges

badges Member

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I wasnt born in Houston and don't presently live in Houston... but I was livin in Houston when I got into basketball, so... your allegiance begins with the home team, and stick with 'em - regardless of where you move.

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

My reason is becasue of Tracy Mcgrady, hes my favorite player. So where ever he goes I go.

4. Barkley

Barkley Member

First I was Rockets' fan bacause of McGrady only so you could say I was TOF. But now I'm not. I like the Rockets I don't even know why. I just like them. And it's all about winnin' but Tracy is still my favourite player

5. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Because I was born in Houston and grew up watching Houston sports.

6. YAOston

YAOston Member

i started to become a rockets fan when i was 7 years ol after the bulls won the 93 title and when i went to my first rockets game against the warriors the 93-94 season.thats when i noticed how good that team really was and that we could take anyone in the league. from there on till today, i lay my heart out to the rockets!

according to the poll i love how half the voters are "bandwagoners" which is great!

7. YAOston

YAOston Member

i also believe dream is always gonna be the greatest center to ever play the game and the most under rated.

8. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

As soon as I got any regular exposure to the NBA, I became a T-Mac fan. That was basically his last season in Orlando. Since he's been traded here I gradually liked the team more and more and him less and less. So for a moment I was a TOF, now I'm far from it and consider myself a Rockets fan and I am trying to "catch up" - learning the history, watching the '95 finals... Haven't seen the finals against Knicks though...or any other classic games for that matter.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I can't believe that so many people are here just because of Yao! I really thought that "from houston" would win this poll easily.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wake up dude and smell the tea.

this isn't the same place you and I can argue about Maxwell and have 50% of the population not know what we are talking about.

11. Winrockets

Winrockets Member

Well there are only so many people that can be fans from Houston. I'm sure most fans who start watching basketball or the Rockets because of Yao/ Tmac eventually become Rocket fans too! :)

12. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

i'm from houston, and currently at student at the university of houston. even tho i dont keep up with the cougars i wish em well. but been a rockets fan since i was born! seriously! cuz i went to the parades durin the championship when i was still a youngin :p also like the astros and texans.. but basketball is my lifestyle and i LOVE THE ROCKETS!

13. leozap

leozap New Member

the reason and the only reason was Yao.
    but now, i like Rockets as a team.

14. porkslope

porkslope Member

I LOVE YAO MING

15. Parlett316

Parlett316 Contributing Member

I live in Maryland and jumped on the Dream bandwagon when I was 13 instead of the Jordan one.

16. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

I'm old school, Phi Slamma Jamma.

Drafting Olajuwon & some of my oldest memories are of Sampson hitting that insane shot on the Lakers & fighting with the Celtics.

Dream, Sampson, Robert Reed, Sleepy Floyd
    Cassell, Horry, Elie, Thorpe, Chilcut

One that I remember most was being down big & Sampson being ejected in the '86 finals. I was pissed & went outside started shooting hoops. I remember being called back in when they started making a run.

17. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Gene Peterson doing the the overtime game 6 against Denver in the 1986 playoffs....'nuff said!

18. engr chris

engr chris Member

I became a Rox fan because, back in 94. When I was still 10 yrs old. I watched the finals between Rox and Knicks. That was the first basketball game that i really loved watching. I really like Mad Max back then and eversince that day, I've been a Rox fan. Through the good times and the bad times. Rox fan for life!

19. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

When San Diego drafted Elvin Hayes. Of course, I didn't become a Houston Rockets fan until they moved to Houston.

20. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

What's the population of Houston? 2 mil? 250 mil people watched the Yi vs Yao game. if 1/10 of them are Rox fans, that's 25 mil. ;)