1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Geeze, I was wondering wy this thread was so long. It's just turned into a Rocket's fans bashing ground. And people think that the WOW thread should be locked?!!

Please just settle down everyone.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

best first post ever!!!! :D

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Houston, sucka.

although i followed the astros and oilers before i got into the rockets... really started paying attention to the rockets around 91-92, just in time to start hating the sonics and jazz with immense passion.

4. rayden

rayden Member

Because I like Moochie's hair :D

5. Red1

Red1 Member

6. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

:eek: Oh my god I cant believe "because of Yao" is leading. Are you telling me the "new" Chinese fans outnumber the true Houston Rockets fans who were with the team from the very beginning? No offense or anything. I love the Chinese (I think asian chics are hot!!) ;).

7. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Wow,

I think this poll has truly surprised me. I am in shock and mesmarized at the results. I forget how many non Houston fans are devoted to the Rockets now days. Ya'll are special fans, and deserve a pat on the back by the Rockets managment because ya'll picked a team for, ehhh..."Love". It was never handed to you. We, Houston dwellers are like the old time arranged marriages - that was the hand that was given to us, and we are just hopefull it would work out. This "Special" designation goes out to those of ya'll that still love the Rockets beyond the initial reason whatsoever it was! "Yao" fan's, if ya'll arent' carefull, ya'll may end up being "Rocket" fans for life. :D

Being from Houston, they really were the first team I watched by default. They'd come out on channel 20; all the road games! And listen to the Radio for all of the home game. Coming from a very non sport family, going to the game was out of the question when I was younger.

Houston, by default is my first reason. But, when I started watching, Hakeem kept me watching. Without Hakeem, I don't know if I would have even cared! One T.V. in the house, and spanish soap operas on TV. It's a tough sell on some sisters and parents.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Red1? Upgrade em

9. ffengyi

ffengyi Member

YAO!!If Yao go to another team, Rockets will be my second favorite team.

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

that crazy flip shot by Ralph Sampson when they knocked out the showtime Lakers from the playoffs. The looks on their faces! LOL

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l97uj9Uvnvo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l97uj9Uvnvo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

11. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

THere is NO need to get personal. You need to chill.

12. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Why are many of you criticising the YOFs? Seems to me like there are heck of a lot of Hakeem OFs as well when they started out. Geez, some of you, please get a grip.

13. stab

stab Member

I was 10 years old when I moved here in the spring of '86 from Denver, and all that people talked about were the Rockets. I already loved basketball, I had been to many games at the old McNichols Arena and watch Alex English and Dan Issel at the end of their careers. But when I came to Houston and watched the Rockets on a consistent basis during that amazing '86 run, I had never seen a tandem like Sampson and, of course (H)Akeem. I was immediately hooked...the rest is history.

14. maw7079

maw7079 Member

What caused me to become a Rox fan?

Birth.

15. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

I moved to Houston in the 4th grade, discovered basketball in the 7th, discovered the Rockets in the 8th, and the rest is history.

I love Houston, I love the NBA. Ergo, I love the Rockets.

I lived in Utah (don't ask) for four years and China (the Yao pick seemed personally auspicious) for 2. I moved back to Houston because I never got to see Rockets games. I thankfully missed much of the Francis era as a result, but I have never, never , never spoken a kind about the Jazz and never will. "Stockton to Malone" is pretty much a swear word in my house. I have lived among their fans, and it was not good.

God I miss all the road games on Ch. 20... if Jesus was real, he would've never taken the Oilers away. I miss the Oilers. :(

16. bigkstrong

bigkstrong Contributing Member

First and foremost, I have always been a NBA fan. I moved to Houston in '01 and that was when they traded Hakeem to Toronto. I just started watching the team for the sake of the love of the game. Over the years, I really got hooked as the team matured. When T-mac was traded to Houston, I was at the Toyota Center for his press conference. I bought season tickets that year.

As Yao matured, coupled with the addition of T-Mac, I have always felt that the Rockets had the potential to be a championship caliber team. The team has underachieved in the playoffs the last few years. I guess what I am trying to say is that every year I anticipate growth and development within the team and I hope to see all the work of putting pieces around Yao and Tracy finally pay off.

Now I live in Delaware and I have subscribed to the NBA League Pass just to watch all 82 of the Rocket's games. I just can't get enough of watching them now, especially now since it looks like "It's Time!" Maybe, I am officially a Houston Rockets fan now.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I grew up a Celtics fan because my dad loved them (he was from the northeast). When I moved to TX (from Louisiana) I hated the Rockets only because they were not the Celtics. After a few years, the play of Hakeem was so damn impressive I had to make the Rockets my second favorite team. After Reggie Lewis passed away I sorta lost interest in the Celtics and became a full-fledged Rocket fanatic.

18. superhu

superhu Member

Yao was the reason I followed Rockets and fell in love with this team. I was a huge Iverson fan before that and followed 76ers.

19. Chris01

Chris01 Member

All of my family is from Houston, so I grew up watching the Rockets, Astros, and Oilers. I always liked them, but the teams of Hakeem, Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, and Vernon Maxwell sealed the deal. I was 10 when they lost the 7 game series to the Sonics in '93, and when I was really upset about that loss, I knew I was hooked.

20. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

the dream. My very first game i watch featuring the dream is the schooling of shaq at the finals. wakakak. I still remember the speech, never underestimate the heart of a champion.