1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. UberDork

UberDork Member

I started out as a somewhat casual fan of the Rockets because they were the nearest NBA team to me. I'll occasionally check the boxscore to see how the Rockets were doing, but that was basically it. I was more of a fan of Jordan's Bulls and Magic's Lakers. I didn't really follow the Rockets religiously until Yao came along. A 7'6 center from China picked first overall fascinated me. Previous players with his height were basically stiffs. I had to see how this particular player would do in the NBA. As I watched him and the Rockets played, I've became more interested in the team as a whole.

In the past I was more of fan of a group of players but not the franchise or the city. I enjoyed watching the Magic's Lakers with Worthy, Scott, Green, Divac, etc... or Jordan's Bulls with Pippen, Grant, cartwright, Paxon, Kukoc, Rodman, etc... Once those teams were broken up, my interest in the franchise waned. Hopefully, I will still remain more than a casual fan after Yao's team has been broken up.

I listed several reasons in the poll, and I probably missed some reasons. I'm sure there are combination of reasons why people are a fan of the Rockets, but I want to know what was the major influence.

Anyway, what made you a Rocket's fan?

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Mainly Clyde, followed by Hakeem and Horry. Of course that was then.

3. teamo

teamo New Member

obviously, I like Yao

4. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Matt Maloney

seriously :D

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1 & 2 are pretty much the same......for me.

6. camilla

camilla Member

Because T-mac and Yao.
    Perfect Combination!

7. win1031

win1031 Member

because of Yao :p

8. pli777

pli777 Member

Because of Yao. But I love the rockets way more than Yao now.

9. IVFL

IVFL Member

I couldn't vote, my choice wasn't up there.

It was because of this player named Akeem he was pretty awesome, I thought he was a guard and not a center when I first saw him play. Loved the Rockets ever since. :D

10. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

11. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

I have the stupidest reason of all.

Because they wear the colour red. Even then, they have the type of 'red' that I like: better than Chicago Bulls red.

Just like I like Manchester United because they wear a better colour or red than Liverpool (of course, I eventually had a huge craze for Eric Cantona, Jaap Stam, Peter Schemeichel and Juan Sebastien Veron)!

But of course now I love Yao, T-Mac, Battier, Hayes and Scola!!!

12. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I think my name explains it all. I lived in Arizona and was a huge fan when they got Barkley. A couple of years after I moved to Texas the Rockets got Barkley and I became a fan. I'm a fan for life, now. I'll always root for the Rockets regardless of their roster or my location.

13. xq84

xq84 Member

because of yao!

and some of my classmates said, they even dont know what is nba before yao comes to the rox (or wzz comes to the mavs) :D

also because of rox always have some top guard such as SF3, T-mac in the team, offensive team always attract more eyes, now it's time baby! let's get 110 pts per game!!! :D

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I had a poster of Akeem on my wall and called myself a Rockets fan before, but I became a "real" fan during the 15-game winning streak to start the 1993-94 season. That was the point where I started staying up for every game and eating up every bit of information I could get on them. When they won the championship, that cemented their spot as first in my heart.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I was mainlu a fan of the Bulls and Jordan(like 95% of the US population) but after his retirement I stopped keeping up with it, then about in 2002 or 2003 I started keeping up with the Mavs who were real exciting to watch for me, yea I used to be a Mavs fans so shoot me :p , and after that season when the Spurs won the championship I started keeping up with the Rockets ALOT, mainly due to Francis who to me was probably one of the most incredible players I've ever seen. From then on I eat, sleep, and breathe Rockets.

P.S. I kinda kept up during their championship years but I was too young to remember much. I do remember a playoff match against Utah in the late 90's though were Stockton hit the game winner. I was so devistated. :mad:

16. MONON

MONON Member

I moved from Indiana to Houston in 1974. As I drove into Houston on I45 from Dallas, my 1st 2 thoughts were: "man this place is big! :eek: " & "WHERE'S ALL THE BASKETBALL HOOPS? :confused: ". In Indiana, 25 % of the houses in town have a goal to shoot at as well as every barn with a kid attached has a hoop nailed to it.

Anyway, the 1st guy I worked for was from Indiana & had Rockets season tickets as a business write off. I was in 7th heaven! That was when the Rockets played in Hoffeins Pavilion. I've been a Rockets fan ever since. Now that I've retired and moved to the middle of Spurs country, I enjoy wearing my Rockets back to back double ring shirt. :D

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

18. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Grew up in Houston. Loved the Rockets as long as I can remember.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

How could you leave off Elvin Hayes? Some of us were big time cougar fans that followed Hayes to San Diego. Where we first became Rockets fans. Then they moved to Houston which was awesome.

20. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Grew up in houston, basketball has always been my favorite sport. It was easy being a fan, i grew up in the late 80's early 90's watching dream.