1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the greatest day of your life? Describe it here

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Nov 9, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know it's boring and cliche, but....

The birth of my sons. After everything we'd been through leading up to it (stillborn, 2 miscarriages), to have not 1 but 2 happy healthy boys and a healthy wife.....it was just a day of pure unadulterated joy. My face literally hurt from smiling so much.

Our doctor (same one who delivered the stillborn 2 years earlier) was literally crying tears of joy. She said that was the first time that's ever happened to her in her career.

1 person likes this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The day I got hired by my current employer was a good day.

Long story short: After 2 years of trying to find a decent job after graduating college, I had become resigned to the fact that I'd always have a crappy job and would be fairly poor. (Sounds really emo and lame, I know, but I truly had accepted that premise no matter how silly it might have been. Two years is a long time when you spend hours every single day trying to find a job somewhere with no luck.) 2 years of applying and I hadn't received even a single phone call, much less an actual interview.

Then, I got a phone interview. Nice. Then, they called for an in-person interview. Very nice. Three weeks pass, and I get a call with a job offer. The dollar amount is nearly twice what I was hoping for, and I'm stunned. I can hardly find the right words to keep talking and sound somewhat composed. I end the phone call and tell my good friend of 15+ years (and then roommate) about my good fortune, and while doing so I realize and say out loud, "Holy crap, I think I'm tearing up." I had never in my life gotten misty eyed for joy so I was kind of like wtf is happening.

I called my gf (now wife) and tell her and she is of course very happy for me. I called my folks and my sister and everyone was surprised and happy for me. I put in my two weeks' notice at my crappy job, and my manager gave me one of his usually passive aggressive comments but I could just laugh it off. He essentially implied that I "wouldn't make it" and said he'd keep a job back there open for me for a few weeks.

It was just a good day. A damn good day. Since then, getting married was fun and of course each day of the honeymoon was amazing, but that day set into motion my great marriage and all the good that's come from it.

My current job isn't perfect, but in moving me from lower to middle class, it made a huge difference in my life.

1 person likes this.
  3. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

The first date I went on with the woman who would become my wife was a very special day. I've had a number of serious relationships and from the first date I could tell this one was different. Of course our wedding day would have to be up there too.

Becoming the first in my family to graduate with a bachelor's degree. Seeing the pride in my parents after they had worked so hard all their lives to give me that opportunity was something I won't forget.

I can't think of any others. It's hard to pick greatest days when almost every day of my life has been pretty damn good. Hashtag blessed? Much easier to pick out the worst days.

4. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

No kids, so it's easily wedding day.

However, October 9, 2005 always comes to mind when thinking of great days/moments. Game was more or less wrapped up, so I hop in my car to drive from Houston to Austin. Tune in to the game and Berkman hits a grand slam to give us a chance. Ausmus homers in the 9th. Burke ends it in the 18th. I finished the game in front of my TV. Unreal. Astros didn't win the World Series, but the playoff run I will never forget. Along with everything else going on at the time, it was a great time.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=251009118

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The day I met my wife. I was on a path that I'm pretty sure was becoming bleaker and bleaker by the day. I tell her she saved my life.

6. Buck Turgidson

Today

Or yesterday

Or tomorrow

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Personally:

1. The day I got "born again" spiritually and became a Christian.
    2. The day I met my wife of 43 years.
    3. The birth of my one and only daughter
    4. The birth of my three grand children (one on the way).

Sports moments:

The UCLA-UH game in the dome.
    The glory days of UH football (there were many great, great Astrodome games)
    The glory days of UH basketball, many of those too.
    Luv you Blue era, especially the return home in the dome.
    The Astros' playoff games and World Series
    The two Rocket's Championships.

There have been many "vocational" moments, but I prefer to keep those confidential. They would tell too much about me.

8. rudan

rudan Member

The day I met my wife.

I would say my wedding day, but that day was pretty stressful to be considered a good day.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that one day i didn't even have to use my AK

10. Warheart

Warheart Member

just came back from the Judas Priest concert at the Nokia Theater in LA... greatest day of my life so far

11. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

He said great day, not just a good day....:grin: