1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of player to target with 2024 Nets pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by peleincubus, Jul 27, 2023.

1. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Reed Sheppard just dropped 32-5-7-2-2 with a game winner. With Dillingham in foul trouble, he just took over the game and delivered.

He'd instantly be the best shooter on the Rockets. I try not to get caught up in numbers, but he's an advanced metrics darling. Looked plenty athletic with a clutch block on a 3 pointer.

At 6'2-6'3 his ceiling is a bit limited, but he has the makings of a great floor raiser. Not an explosive first step guy, but I like how he'll still test defenders and occasionally catch them sleeping. Can fit any offense playing on or off ball. The shooting ability will open up his offense and the quick hands will keep him on the floor defensively. Almost 3 steals and 1 block a game. At his height that's super impressive.

With his IQ and composure, he reminds me of an upgraded Mike Conley Jr. Picking 4-10 I'd be happy with that kind of player.

hlmbasketball and RudyTBag like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yep. Been saying this for a few weeks. Reed can be the “binder” between Amen and Sengun.

Y2JT and RudyTBag like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was on the same page prior to the acquisition of Adams and thought that the strength of this draft was in the depth of the big man prospects, there are 6 C/PF who could in the first round and a couple more that will fall into round 2 that have high upside.

Even after the pick up of Adams, I wonder if the team should still go that route, we really don't know if Adams will be able to return to form or if he's just dead weight / salary ballast at this point.

Then again, there's a handful of players in this draft that have the star potential and skills this roster lacks,
    that if we had the opportunity to draft, I'd hate to pass on, particularly shooters in the lottery - 5 dudes who shoot .400 or better from 3 projected in the top 14 picks - Risacher, Williams, Sheppard, Dillingham & Knecht.

I really hope that the Rockets pick lands in the top 4 .... and the Brooklyn pick is no later than 9 so the Rockets can get two of the above.
    I dunno, maybe Sheppard has played his way into the top 5ish and getting two of the above is a fantasy.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dalton Knecht > Reed Sheppard

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be very tempted to move a future asset and the 8th pick to move up in this draft for Reed.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't believe that and I really wonder if Knecht's game translates at the NBA level.

He's a scorer and a very good one in the NCAA, we see guys like this every year and very few of them come in an make an impact.

He's average to undersized as an NBA 3 and top it off with being a 5th year senior ..... how much upside is there?

Sheppard is a true freshman who is shooting .543/.553/.818, leads his team in assists and steals, has a complete offensive game & might be the best defensive guard in the NCAA ....

Knecht is a good player but no, not better than Sheppard.

TheBeastSystem likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Knecht is 6'6 with 7' wingspan and his defensive rating is better than Sheppard. His age and experience is a benefit for this team.

BaselineFade, hlmbasketball and Y2JT like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh Knecht undersized? definitely not. nba body already and a pro release

If anyone is undersized its without a doubt Sheppard. He's small and has no length. 6'1/6'2 with the same wingspan to go with it. definitely not ideal for the nba if you're going to be a true impact player

9. sydmill

sydmill Member

I like both but think I'd go with the more proven archetype in the top 5 (if that's where shepperd goes). Probably Cody Williams for me in that case. I think Knecht is good value at 8-10.

10. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I don't think you can do a one-to-one comparison of defensive rating since lineup/team context plays a large role. Tennessee's rotation is a bunch of upperclassmen and super seniors, whereas Kentucky is mostly freshmen. I also don't think anyone would disagree that Rick Barnes coaches defense better than Calipari.

I'd say Knecht is an average defender at best. For being solid framed, 6-6 with a long wingspan you'd also expect him to be a better rebounder.

But part of me thinks he's a slightly different developmental case than other senior prospects. He went through a late growth spurt that he could still be getting used to, granted it's been a few years. He's a contributor out of the box, but there may be untapped potential.

I lean a little more towards Sheppard, but Knecht would be a cool pick. He has the makings of a high level #2/#3 option that ends up leading the team in scoring.

Verbal Christ and sydmill like this.
  11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

3s from the parking lot :D

saleem likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

None of you ****ers have ever seen him play a game

Wooohoooo highlights...

This is funny.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

14. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Thabk you for the video.
    He definitely seems to fit. I think his age is actually a benefit to us now we have already had a few years to add younger guys. I like to think so many years at college would mean good fundamentals, habits and maturity. This coupled with his physical stature make him seem like a perfection addition that Ime would be fond of.
    Either he or Sheppard seem to fit perfectly.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sheppard is a deadeye no doubt about it. I’m not sold he’s going to be a defensive impact in the NBA at 6’2 and not super athletic, but shooting never goes out of style. Personally I feel Knecht is more connective on offense with 3 level impact and gives you defensive versatility, but I understand why guys are high on Sheppard it’s well deserved.

16. prs325

prs325 Member

Feels like we’re discussing TJ McConnel vs Jonas Jerebko

17. Buck Turgidson

Skills.

18. Buck Turgidson

Shooters shoot and the Rox need shooters.

Whoever they are, outside of Dave Jamerson or Bryce Drew.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I been on this guy for awhile, he has a 3pt shot too

20. j@amc

j@amc Member

I hope the Nets keep losing, as they are setting up the Rockets quite nicely in the draft. Let's assume that Reed Shepherd is long gone by #8. With the Rockets' need for shooting, do you swing for the fences and go with Dillingham? This was the recent suggestion from the No Ceiling group in their mock draft.

Dillingham and Amen Thompson off the bench might be the quickest pair of guards in the league. There is a lot to mix and match, but you could conceivably pair him with Amen, Cam, and Eason. That group's transition game/fast break would be serious. Plus, Dillingham is a serious scoring threat (think Lou Wiliams, but maybe quicker).

Or do the Rockets remember you must play Wemby and go for immense size (like Donavan Clinghan)? Yes, Adams is in the fold, but he's often injured. This is a chance to add a 7'1 difference-maker in Clinghan. I was leaning in this direction, but Jock Landale's surge in play has me thinking twice here.

Or do you take the BPA and add even more size and athleticism on the wing? There are many options here since this draft has several strong defenders with flawed offensive packages. A whole cluster of players would fit with what Udoka likes to do.

Maybe the tournament will help us determine whose game is more ready for the next level.

Corrosion likes this.