1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of player to target with 2024 Nets pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by peleincubus, Jul 27, 2023.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

For me the easy answer would be a shooter or someone that can guard the rim. Who the Rockets have the capability to target depends on where the Nets pick of course. Which if I had to guess would be around 7 to 14.

Walker Kessler
    Gradey Dick
    Trey Murphy
    Corey Kispert
    Derek Lively

Would be the players I would target.

I guess we will see if there are any players like that in this draft. Or, if it is a different player prototype that is considered. Also of course the pick could be traded with a player or two for an all star type player.

sydmill likes this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Calling my shot that Adem Bona and Reece Beekman are Rockets next summer.

VoR likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

7'3" center Aday Mara (might need to win the lotto to get him)
    https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospe...2605&pid=5b7cdf07-ef7f-459b-a231-0a8645763080

Unfortunately, it's a weak draft, so if the pick falls into the late lottery our odds of getting an actual NBA player with the pick are slim. For the same reason, GMs around the league are valuing 2024 picks pretty low, so it will be hard to get a good trade return.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If this is true (i dont see why it wouldn't be either the last 3 drafts have when averaged together likely higher than most 3 years of drafts averaged) the Rockets could still pinpoint a lower upside player that fits a defined role. A player that is already 21 or almost 21 when they are drafted then by the team they start making the playoff runs they could have a guy on a rookie contract that's 23-24 years old.

5. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

A couple interesting returning center prospects in this draft.. I like Sengun as the long term starter, but I want the ability to throw different defensive looks on the floor.

Adem Bona, UCLA - Athletic screener and vertical spacer. Spam PnR with this guy. Pac 12 All Defense as a freshman. Defends all over the floor. Don't think he's Bam Adebayo level switch defender, but he's better than average. Great energy and effort.

Donovan Clingan, UCONN - Big body 7'2, 260lbs with a reported 7'7 wingspan. Rebounder and shotblocker. I'm usually low on these kinds of centers..preferring more mobility, but Donovan has decent feet and is consistently in a spot to contest. Walker Kessler has me paying more attention to paint clogging shotblockers that really understand positioning and timing.

Kel'El Ware, Indiana - Disappointed at Oregon, interested to see if he can bounce back with a larger role. Theoretically a Myles Turner type big who can shoot 3's, catch lobs, and block shots.

Also looking at guards, but haven't seen enough to comment on specific players.

#5 RedIsen, Aug 7, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    saleem, ISO and peleincubus like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure how high he will go, but he is the defensive center the Rockets could use. Everyone else has to be able to shoot, though.

saleem and ISO like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cooper Flag.

DD

lionaire likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If he was available....but alas, he won't be in the draft until 2025.

i3artow i3aller, lionaire and ISO like this.
  9. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

I would love to get my hands on it Alex Sarr

lionaire likes this.
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Donovan Clingan, please and thank you.

ISO likes this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

He looked great defensively in that gleague match. Wonder if he can run some 5.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The sad thing about Sarr is that he's has been on everybody's radar. From his time on Spanish/French teams to his time in the OTE and NBL. He's not a hidden talent by any means. He's played on global teams for a while now, so he's not coming out of nowhere.

He kind of reminds me of a Wemby-lite at this point. He has similar skills. I'm suspicious of his 3 pt shot, though I'm guessing that can be worked out. When he went to the NBA 3 pt. line in OTE, he was a mediocre shooter.

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, but I don't think he's even 220 lbs right now and is about 7'1". I don't know how that would fare in the post for any extended minutes, and the few vids of him I watched of him in the past, he kind of played like an oversized wing or something, and I don't think he can guard NBA wings on a nightly basis.

If we somehow wrangle a lottery pick, I'd take a flyer on him ... just because. But in the late-lottery, there will be other C's competing for the Rockets' attention (assuming they go in that direction). Another example of the skinny dude who has SF skills and is a suspect C at the moment is Aaron Bradshaw. He reminds me of another huge wing playing in the post who needs to bulk up to do so.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Looking at nbadraft.net there are 3 C's in the top 11 and 6 in the top 25 right now. The pick from the Nets could be anywhere and I think a higher chance of being traded than actually used to add a drafted player. If not I think a center that could be above average on defense would likely be the route taken.

14. dmoneybangbang

TBD...... I don't think folks appreciate how "flexible" this roster is going to be in terms of what the roster will look like after this season. Most likely it won't be very different, but if a disgruntled mid to late 20s superstar becomes available.....

However, shooting is what comes to mind.

#14 dmoneybangbang, Oct 17, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Shooting could be an issue, but I'm still not convinced we have a good rim protector yet, but I'm waiting to see if they figure it out.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. VoR

VoR Member

Adem Bona with the Nigeria connection would be nice.

sydmill and Believe It! like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is it too early to scoreboard watch Nets games?

Really hoping Wizards can hold on to this lead as next 5 look tough for Nets. I really hope the Nets play bad enough early that they don't do something stupid at trade deadline that sets them back a few years, but hurting the Rockets in the process.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

19. Soneca

Soneca Member

The only possible answer: a franchise one.

but seriously, depends on the range. Late lotery, we should target a 7footer rim runner. Duren, Lively would be the molds IMO

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

We will see what happens over the course of the rest of the season but I think the Rockets could use a 1 and a 5 to groom as back ups to Sengun and, hopefully, Amen Thompson. My perfect scenario is getting Tyrese Proctor and Adem Bona. Proctor spends a year at RGV while Amen and FVV play the point but then he replaes FVV as Amen's backup in 2025. Bona I think could get minutes as a rookie in much the same way as other rim running, shot blocking bigs.

** Since they dont currently have 2 firsts my backup plan is Reece Beekman out of UVA as a Pat Beverly type 3 and D PG in lieu of Proctor.

peleincubus and Believe It! like this.