1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of money/contract will we offer Chuck Hayes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, May 26, 2011.

1. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

The thing with Chuck is that the two players he was closest to are gone. AB and Shane. Him and Aaron are good friends as well as Shane. With them gone it would make a departure a lil bit easier. On the other hand, The Rockets have been very loyal to him and he should repay that loyalty as long as we dont offer him an insulting contract.

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Chuck leaving is inevitable unless he takes a small contract. He's not only an unbelievably short post player but lacks the athleticism that a Dejuan Blair or Charles Barkley posses to make up for it.

3. anchel

anchel Member

But the same could be applied for Chuck, right?

Plus: I personally prefer Collison to Chuck. Playoff basketball, height.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think he's worth 4-5m but I wouldn't give it to him. I reallly like hayes,but the rockets need that money if they want to go after howard and williams. He did the contract leap,but I don't have an issue with that either.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Im sorta wondering if were going to offer him anything.

I mean, I love Chuck. But if Morey is willing to let go of HOF coach, refusing to give extensions, and the rumor mill feels like he is going to change a lot of things, then im really feeling like no one is a safe bet anymore (to be around next year for long).

If we are gearing up for wining in 3 or 4 years, im not sure is Morey would view Chuck as a keeper or not. If we have to bring in lots of unproven guys with upside over the next year or two, were are going to need places for them to sit (roster spots).

Im feeling mixed about Yao wanting to stay for this reason also. Even if he wanted to play for the minimum, he would still occupy a roster spot. And if he cant play, we now have 14 left instead of 15.

As has been pointed out regularly, through the draft or otherwise, only a fraction of unproven guys will pan out. That means we need to put a lot of guys in uniforms to see who rises and falls. We cant do this if we try to hang on to everyone.

Ill be happy to have Chuck for the long term, but if it wont surprise me if he is moved or not given the chance to stay longer.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes will be relied upon not only to play, but also to coach the team.

Both McHale and Finch are figureheads for Chuck.

7. fattz

fattz Member

So mush is on the NEW COACH...

Not all coaches would/will even play a 6'6" starting center ( maybe as a back-up powerforward )...

There may not be a spot here for him here after the draft anyway...

I wish him only the BEST...

I really do lick the "Baby Beast"

answer - 3.5 - 4.5 a year over 4 years...

8. fattz

fattz Member

If I could turn back time I would preread my post before posting it...

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nobody can stop Dirk. Bosh is stoppable, but then he is option #3 on his team, so it's a choose who to stop game, there.

Are you trying to say Chuck is as valuable a player as Ibaka, Perkins, Noah and Boozer? Cause that's freakign ludicrious. The first three are as good defenders as Chuck, and potentially (likely) more valuable, given their height and shot-blocking ability, where shot-blocking also means protecting the paint and rim. 3 of the 4 are better offensive players.

I love Chuck. Love his determination, effort, passion, improvement, etc. But got to recognize him for what he is. I think $4-$5 million a year is a little high. Maybe that's the going rate. If Collison is getting paid that, then he's overpaid, imo. That said, if DM knows he can sign Chuck at that price and get the team back to being super competitive (which means CHuck comes off the bench for less mpg), than fine.

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think this really depends on who our new coach is and how he views Chuck.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

There is a pretty big gap between what Chuck is worth and what a team like the Rockets should offer him.

As far as worth he is probably the second most important player on the team behind Lowry, if you are trying to win. That has something to do with our depth, or lack of, at his position. But even disregarding that he is easily worth the MLE or a little less. If we are talking about how much teams might realistically offer him, it comes down a little more. $4-5Mish?

The problem for the Rockets, a rebuilding team, is I don't think they can afford that. Not that 4-5M is so expensive, but 4-5M for Chuck Hayes just does not fit on a rebuilding team. He plays a position that will not be his long term future on the team if we ever want to contend. And really all keeping him around at that price tag would accomplish is keeping the team mediocre.

Chuck is one of my favorite players on the team and I would hate to lose him. But when building a team, you have to be rational with the bigger picture in mind.

1 person likes this.
  12. roadmatter

roadmatter Member

Sign

Sign Him And Trade Scola. Luis Scola Have no Defense

13. amaru

amaru Member

Max contract of course ;)

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Whatever they do with Hayes should transpire waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy after they've found a real Center.

Splitting situational backup duty with Brad Miller and being the 3rd PF isn't worth more than $3M/year under the current CBA. And then, only $3M if the new CBA provides the Rockets with some cap space to address their most glaring deficiency...Center.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I know what you mean, but Morey's decision-point was at the trade deadline. If he didn't intend to make an offer this offseason, he should have traded him for a flyer and/or a draft pick. That he didn't do that indicates to me that Morey would want Hayes to stick around.

hahahahaha. LMFAO.

16. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Give him a Chuck Wagon full of cash.

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. If this team acquires a legitimate center, as they should, where does Chuck fit?

He has worked hard and improved considerably in many areas, so if he can turn that into more money, we should be happy to see him go. But the Rockets can't afford to pay Chuck $4-5M per year. If this team is going in the right direction, I don't see Chuck being a part of it, as hard as that is to say.

18. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I know we are all about the rockets as a franchise here, but i sense a little disrespect towards chuck in this thread. He has been a tremendous contributer to this team and i for one would be devastated if he left.

If we are going young, i'd love to see him go to a contender like a Chicago or something, but i'dalso hate to see him go.