1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do in Boston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cook1ez, Aug 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

I'm most probably headed to Boston this Friday from Montreal with a my lady friend. We're very up to go see Harvard, but what else would we be able to do during the weekend in Boston?
    Anything would be appreciated!! :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Dinner at Legal Sea Foods restaurant (there are a few, but I went to the one in Park Square), also a trip to Fenway is a must. The Sam Adams brewery is worth your time as well. They offer a tour, which is interesting and pretty short, and you get to sample a few of the beers. If you're in to the college campus thing, BC's beautiful and worth a look. Old stone buildings, huge overhanging trees, plus it's a pretty prestigious university.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Grab a drink at the top of the prudential building.

Go for a walk through the Boston commons.

Go on the duck tour, which takes you through water and land and gives you a mini tour of the city.

Walk down Newbury street...loaded with shops and outdoor cafes/restaurants.

Visit fenway park and the surrounding bars.

Go for a walk along the Charles river.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ironically I just got a phone call from a friend of mine from MN who headed to Boston for the weekend. He is hitting all of the pubs and there are quite a few good ones in Boston.

I guess it depends what you are into. There are some really good museums in Boston including the Art Museum and the Peabody. Get some Italian food in the North End. Catch some music at the Bandshell. If you have time you take a day trip down to Cape Cod which is really beautiful this time of year.

6. AkeemTheDreem86

I agree with everything here, especially Newbury St.

Oh, and only take the duck tour if you want to be "quacked" at.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Wow, a Rockets fan in Montreal, eh? I was in Toronto for the better part of last year for work, and could barely get any bar to even show a Rockets game. Are you from Texas originally?

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Go on a history tour through downtown. Visit Walden Pond in Concord, MA. Its about a 30 minute drive from the city.

9. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

if you're going to visit Harvard, MIT is worth a visit. have a burrito at Anna's taqueria in the student center.

10. JamesC

JamesC Member

Go to Eagle Burger...I saw it on Man vs Food. :D

[​IMG]

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Be a pilgrim... and go watch the Red Sox. ;)

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if you're even remotely interested in baseball...and maybe even if you're not....try to catch a game at Fenway. incredible atmosphere.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I must be old or something...Cant' believe nobody mentioned all the historical stuff.

Bunker Hill
    USS Contstitution (Old Ironsides)
    Paul Revere's Home
    The Old North Church (where The Lanterns were hung during the revolution - 1 by land 2 if by sea)
    Old Statehouse (the U.S. first Capital - also where the Boston Massacre happened)

There are some other old buildings that were prominent meeting places before & during the Revolution and during the drafting of the Declaration of Independence.

14. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

I'd like to thank you ALL for your thoughts and ideas! I really appreciate them all very much and have taken nearly all of them into consideration to do during my short visit. I still have all the way till Friday, so if any one else would like to throw something in, feel free. In any other case, thank you all very much once more!! :)

15. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

No prob. Can you FedEx me a Schwartz's smoked meat sandwich? k, thanks!

16. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Yes sir! There are quite a few die hards here too, you better believe it! There are some specific bars and lounges that air nearly all games on different TVs. Raptors, Lakers and Suns getting the most attention. You can find Rockets games though. If not, just kick it at home with LP hooked to a tv monitor from the computer! ;)

I'm not originally from Texas. Born and raised here in Montreal. It's been heavily on my mind to come to Texas, mainly Houston, soon and eventually. There's a chain of restaurants here called Houston. Guess who loves it there!

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Go have a beer at the Bell in Hand Tavern on Union St where the likes of Paul Revere (seriously) have previously enjoyed a pint. It opened in 1795 and I think is the second oldest bar in the United States.

http://www.bellinhand.com/

18. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

I'm officially back from Boston! And let me tell you guys, the trip was pretty freagin sweet! I didn't get to do everything suggested by the posters in this thread, but I managed to get a few things done! The trip was really awesome! The drive there and back didn't feel that long. Around 5.5 hours each.
    The only bad part was that, just as I got home, right IN FRONT of my home, I wanted to park by the sidewalk. I accidentally ended up hitting the tire on the side walk. Not hard at all!
    Guess what happens... tire explodes on me right there! Man what a bummer that was! I'm just grateful it didn't happen while on the road! Reason for explosion was probably all the heat the tire had taken from the long drives. It's what my uncle's telling me anyway.

If ever you guys get the chance to go to Boston, stay at the Langham Hotel!! Simply outstanding!

19. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

All of that is on the Freedom Trail, which the wife and I did last week when we were in Boston. It's about a 2.5-3 mile walk, and my wife did it 5 months pregnant, so there's no reason the rest of you slackers can't do it and see some incredible historical sites... :)

20. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I heard they have the Cheers bar in Boston, that is the duplicate of the tv show....minus Norm and Cliff.